GMD Poll: Opeth’s Discography Ranked

Nice to see most people think their last 4 albums are their worst. Sorceress is laughable.

I heard a track from that one and cancelled my preorder. I didn’t hate a couple of their prog rock albums because I like the style in general but Sorceress is fucking abhorrent.

1. Still Life
2. Blackwater Park
3. My Arms, Your Hearse
4. Damnation
5. Ghost Reveries
6. Morningrise
7. Deliverance
8. Pale Communion
9. Watershed
10. Sorceress
11. Heritage
Not a fan of Orchid, Espa?

Not a fan of Orchid, Espa?

I haven't listened to that album for a long time, nor am I willing to do so right now. I guess it's too long for my liking overall. I remember Morningrise being the better of the two, though. However, I guess I have a faint resemblance of Forest of October being really good. We'll see someday.

1. Morningrise [first album I heard by them--yes it meanders, wanders around, and the transitions are clunky, but I love it. That bass and the twin guitars--not much sounds like it--and many have tried. Love the acoustic work in advent, night, Nectar especially--
2. Orchid (While I like morningrise slightly better as an album--I think orchid probably has the better individual songs twilight, apostle, and mist)
3. My arms, your hearse
4. Blackwater Park
5. Still Life
6. Deliverence
7. Ghost Reveries
8. Damnation

It's one of Johan de Farfalla's finest moments.

EDIT: Give the song a spin from roughly the 9 min mark, de Farfalla shreds it on bass from thereon out.

1 Deliverance (2002) Every song is prime Opeth, peak of their maturity, and I'll never forget watching the title track live in Bell Center, Montreal.

2 Blackwater Park (2001) Nearly prime Opeth not quite there yet: some parts are mediocre, too long, some filler here and there... but the album that made them more than an overly romantic melodeath prog band and made them "Opeth" as we now know them.

3 Ghost Reveries (2005) feeding off the momentum of the magnum opus Deliverance, parts are still inspired, well written, but a cleaner smoother production.

4 Damnation (2003), some very catchy clean tunes, good all around level, ripe song-writing.

5 Morningrise (1996) has the beautiful Black Rose Immortal which doesn't feel like 20min. Some nice parts on the record besides that one too.

6 Watershed (2008) fairly underwhelming effort overall, went too blockbuster/big production... but the track Heir Apparent is superb.

7 Heritage (2011): an all clean singing prog rock Opeth album ? Concept's fine, but not the execution. Fairly uninspired and uninteresting generally. The "GOD IS DEAAAAAAD" song is excellent though.