GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2015

Embrace of the Serpent thoughts:

i wouldn't be as harsh as this review but ignatiy vishnevetsky kinda gets at my issues with the movie

The literalism definitely robbed it of something. Almost like the director didn't have the guts to be subtle and make a better movie and instead chose to make a statement that absolutely couldn't be misinterpreted.

That said, it was such a beautifully shot film that I still liked it, and the visuals and sparseness of everything was pretty charming. The minimalism was really refreshing.

This review gets at one of the more on-the-nose scenes for me, the compass scene. I half-cringed at that part honestly, and it reminded me of two insufferable types I've come across in my life; people who say aboriginals should be thankful that whites brought them modernity and whites who say the land should be given back to aboriginals because they were much better off before the whites came along.

I'm surprised a more subtle way to make this point couldn't be found. So much of the dialogue and symbolism in this movie feels like a school paper analysis worked into a script and spliced with a documentary about scientists in the Amazon.

i should be clear that i quite liked it as well, but it got huge hype so i'm probably overcompensating a bit (plus i'm just generally extremely sensitive to the literalism and didacticism you mention, especially in ostensibly naturalistic arthouse stuff). seems to me like thoughtful, above average festival fare rather than some kind of great, lasting work from a master though. i much prefer tabu from three years earlier, which covers some similar territory in a much more challenging and complex way imo, or the likes of cemetery of splendor and kaili blues from 2015 for that matter.

Reactions: CiG
1. Blackhat (Coincidentally enough it was August last year that I bought this movie based on a No Country recommendation - in hindsight this movie would have been amazing to see at the cinemas. Rewatched this 2 nights ago and still holds up beautifully, and actually if I hadn't rewatched it Tangerine would have been #1.)

2. Tangerine (I adore the messiness and scatterbrained nature of this movie so much and it has some of the best pacing I think I've ever experienced. There are also more genuinely funny moments than any recent comedy I can think of. The Ana Foxxx cameo scene is one of my favourite cinematic moments of the 2010's.)

3. Mad Max: Fury Road (Some complaints aside (good job making the titular character the most bland, boring character in the whole film) this is probably the best, or at least my favourite, blockbuster action film of the 2010's. It also contains one of the most on-the-nose political allegories I've ever seen (ie patriarchy) but it doesn't detract, on the contrary I actually think it really works. That aside this is just a very fun movie that self-consciously returns ownership of the post-apocalyptic action genre to George Miller after decades of the franchise being ripped off by everybody (asserted viciously by bringing Hugh Keays-Byrne back to great effect). Hail Furiosa!)

4. Green Room

5. Sicario
(Not quite sure who started this "trend" of sprawling military/tactical/procedural action crime films that put a lot of effort into creating tension and a brooding atmosphere but my limited pool of references makes me always think of Michael Mann and in many ways this movie especially made me think of his stuff. I really liked Emily Blunt and it was cool to see the Get Out guy in action, since I haven't seen that movie yet and things like this always help to take that next step into seeing something. I need to rewatch this one before I can consolidate my views, but I liked it a lot and was basically glued to the screen the whole time. The true star of the movie was Benicio del Toro though and the whole film's core themes were basically encapsulated in his character alone, everybody else was just along for the ride.)

6. Bone Tomahawk (S. Craig Zahler fucking rules man, he's one of my other favourite newer directors and his debut was a pretty insane one at that! Cannibalism, ultra-violence, troglodytes, Kurt Russell, western setting, exploitation, Kurt Russell, Kurt Russell, Kurt---you get the point. This is a movie unashamedly trying to entertain and bring back a certain era of balls-to-the-wall craziness and trashiness. If The Hateful Eight was tapping into The Thing, Bone Tomahawk is Kurt's 2010's Escape from New York.)

7. Too Late

8. The Lobster (Whenever I think of The Lobster the word 'bleak' comes to mind. All the settings exude coldness, whether it's in the literal cold wet forest or the metaphorically cold rooms and houses. Civilization is purposely depicted as cold and lifeless, strangled by order, but unlike most movies that go with this idea, nature isn't presented as this warm freeing elemental force where humanity can escape to and throw off their shackles, and for me that's a lot of the horror of this movie. The choices presented seem to be; live and die as an automaton or live and die as a scared animal.)

9. The Revenant (I've seen many survival films and even more revenge films and I'm struggling to remember any of them being as dismal and oppressive as this is. I forget where I saw someone call this 'Breathing: The Movie' and at first I took it as an attack on the movie, partly because it probably was but also because I wasn't much of a fan of it, but after rewatching it and it finally clicked the whole 'breathing' thing is very accurate and that's part of the oppressive nature of the movie, I feel. The viewer spends so much time so closely following Di Caprio's character that you can almost feel the destruction he's putting his body through, the toll the elements are taking on him, as he literally crawls and almost freezes to death in pursuit of revenge. If they ever invent technology that allows the viewer to experience the elements the actor goes through in the process of making a movie, this one will be for adrenaline junkies. Also, beautiful cinematography!)

10. CHAPPiE (Very cool, very entertaining, though surprisingly has much less action than his previous films but it doesn't feel like it's lacking it. It feels like a good balance. Many people have told me (and said in reviews) that this one is more light-hearted than Neill Blomkamp's previous films, but I disagree. I think people are confusing the lack of action with a lighter approach, because this film's themes are just as dark, adult and intense as any of Blomkamp's other films, albeit with less gore and violence. He really tries to drill down into what I think is a core theme with all of his works; how flawed humanity is and the concept of human consciousness vs artificial intelligence.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HM: Cemetery of Splendour, Embrace of the Serpent, SPL2, Far From Men, Turbo Kid, Ant Man, The Hateful Eight, Black Mass, Darling, Girl Asleep.

There are still so many I wanna see, especially The VVitch but also Aaaaaaaah!, Partisan, Port of Call, Ryuzo and the Seven Henchmen and American Ultra, but I feel really good about my list and most of my choices are movies I've watched several times each and have held up very nicely.

The only two very recent additions are Sicario and Too Late. I tracked down the latter and watched it the same day I saw @challenge_everything recommend it, so thanks for that dude that was a super good recommendation, insta-favourite for me!

Sicario was one of those movies that really lived up to the hype and praise I'd seen around the Internet, will definitely be watching the sequel soon. Also now I want to see Zero Dark Thirty RE @no country for old wainds' RYM review.

Last edited:
Nice list. I've never seen Blackhat and got halfway through Bone Tomahawk on TV ages ago and never got around to watching the rest.

I haven't seen the sequel to Sicario either but note it has a different director - Villeneuve wasn't involved.

nice. I have Chappie in my collection(Blomkamp 3). Will definitely check it out before we finish this up. District 9 slowly turned into one of my "modern" favorites ... been a few years since i last watched it though.

CHAPPiE is one of those rare movies where poignancy and fun are combined very well.

tenor.gif

got halfway through Bone Tomahawk on TV ages ago and never got around to watching the rest.

That's a shame because like most exploitation and horror, the first half is just a build up to the chaos and violence of the second half. The movie gets very batshit.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
great list, man. haven't seen chappie but i like everything else on there to varying degrees, at least half of those will make my own list (albeit mine will be a top 25 haha)

and i dunno, bone tomahawk is weird in that there's more emphasis on the journey than destination IMO. i like it all but probably prefer the first half. feels like he cares more about the sight of patrick wilson trying to walk on that leg and richard jenkins rambling on and all that waiting and chatting and travelling than he does about the actual cannibal confrontations. obviously those are blunt and brutal as all fuck and there's That Scene, but it feels like an unusually small percentage of the film is devoted to them and the climax seems over pretty quickly once they get there. the violence is treated very sparingly as well, almost like it's deliberately no more dramatic than anything else in the movie. i don't mean that as a criticism, in fact that unusual emphasis is a big part of its charm for me, even though i do still find some of the dialogue (mostly jenkins') distractingly writerly.

Bone Tomahawk (light spoilers):
I recall the third act being quite crazy but maybe my memory is mostly being coloured by That Scene hehe. I didn't rewatch Bone Tomahawk because I've been too sick to fit everything in, while also working on my 2018 films. Maybe you're right, but I don't remember thinking the violence was treated no more dramatically than the rest of the film.

Besides the 'rescue mission goes to shit' motif that reminds me in part of Escape from New York, I do agree that a good chunk of the film is about the journey, which is actually a pretty common element of revisionist westerns, for example Unforgiven, which is also a film that uses violence sparingly and saves most of its impact for the third act. But I guess I need to rewatch it regardless, though I do agree that it does do some things unusually, I always saw that as part of its exploitation/b-movie charm.

The way the trogs appear and commit violence/get despatched of with little to no oomph or Hollywood-style big reveal moment makes it stand out amongst most horror, where the reveal of the creature is a big part of the gimmick. Bone Tomahawk just kinda puts them there in front of you with no fanfare, and I think that helps to make the violence feel more realworld and visceral. They're not stalking towards the heroes in a big cinematic moment, they're just there committing violence in this very matter-of-fact kinda way.

^I guess I inadvertently agreed with your "no more drama than the rest of the movie" comment lmao.

Last edited:
I love Bone Tomahawk because it's basically a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure part; 4-5 manly men go on a journey to defeat a great evil, build character through banter along the way and the whole thing culminates in a gruesome confrontation where all bets are off. Not sure if anyone will get this reference besides me, but most JJBA parts from 3 and on follow this format.

Unforgiven is probably a better comparison, hah

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. The Witch
3. Sicario
4. The Revenant
5. Room
6. Baskin (fucked up Turkish horror--anyone else see this?)
7. Green Room (the other "room")
8. The Martian
9. The Lobster
10. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Honorable mentions:
The Big Short
They Look Like People
The End of the Tour
The Invitation

There are still several from 2015 that I haven't seen. Pretty awesome year...

Yeah I noticed that. Whatever, I loved that movie. I contemplated putting The Big Short on the list and hm-ing SW, but I thought to myself "Which of these am I more likely to watch again?" And the answer is SW.

Yeah I noticed that. Whatever, I loved that movie. I contemplated putting The Big Short on the list and hm-ing SW, but I thought to myself "Which of these am I more likely to watch again?" And the answer is SW.

For me it was one of the strongest examples of 'ages like bread not wine' possibly ever, considering how much I did like it the first time and how much I dislike it now. It's also one of my most rewatched 2010's movies funnily enough, must've seen it about 10 times at this point.

But I doubt you'll be the only one to list it, I have a feeling it will be somewhere on No Country's too.

Huh surprised, since iirc you gave it a 3.5, now I'm even more curious to see your 25 picks if you scoff at my guess that TFA will be in it lmao.

i’d probably give it a 3 at most now having seen it like three or four times. the writing is just too cringy for me to fully endorse it and it’s prob my least favourite of the three neo-star wars films i’ve seen (haven’t seen the solo one)

basically just assume my entire 2015 list will be sion sono movies haha