GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2015

1. Cat Sick Blues
2. Straight Outta Compton
3. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
4. The Hateful Eight
5. El abrazo de la serpiente (Embrace of the Serpent)
6. Theory of Obscurity: A Film About the Residents
7. Green Room
8. Hardcore Henry
9. Tomorrowland
10. Mad Max: Fury Road

HM: The Martian

I watched Cat Sick Blues with my girlfriend, not knowing it was even more fucked up than the trailer suggests. She doesn't really like horror movies, but the goofy and awkward side of it was highly appealing. True test of a weirdo relationship. :tickled:

Straight Outta Compton was decent but a bit loose with the facts. Dr. Dre could've at least put some of his worst behaviour in it. Sponge Out of Water was just drugs in movie form, with the Krabby Patty secret formula thing being done to death, so it wasn't as good as the first movie. Still got more out of it than the next 4 on my list, and I wouldn't shit twice for the last 3 but gotta pad 'er out with something.

Last edited:
Not surprised, but feel free to elaborate. :rofl: I only watched Fury Road because of this thread. Not my thing at all. I dislike action films where the story is so thin that it's just action for the sake of action. It's a bit like sitting through a church service or something.

Dare I mention that I disliked Sicario even more... its action climaxed near the beginning and then it played out in a predictable way because it was so depressingly realistic.

I feel like It's self-evident haha. Straight Outta Compton though in particular is some of the most soulless hogwash I've seen in a long ass time. Like a weird mixture of egotistical fantasy, surface-level information like the script is based on a Wiki page, stale acting and basically nothing of substance for actual fans of N.W.A.

Last edited:
I guess I'm used to dumbed down dramatisations after having seen The Runaways film. Twisting bands into fantasy and only focusing on 2 or 3 members. What I like about them is mostly that the music sounds even more glorious in the context. I have a big appreciation for Boyz-N-The Hood now when I wouldn't have given half a fuck about the song before. What was even better about The Runaways film though was that the actresses actually sang some of the soundtrack.

I love The Runaways movie tbh (Kirsten Stewart bias helps), I wouldn't put them in the same basket for whatever reason. Also can't be too much of a dick here since you at least did 10 movies which gives some points to a few I also listed lol.

In these more recent years I'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel hard. I'd probably rate Straight Outta Compton 3.5/5 and yet it's #2 on my list. If I made my movie list for this decade into one list in the Top 5 List thread it'd basically be complete, haha.

The others from your list I've seen are Bone Tomahawk and The Lobster. The latter didn't miss my list by much and was the kind of quirky recommendation I'd never pass up, but it was just too deadpan and metaphorical. I can't remember why I took up the Bone Tomahawk recommendation though.

By the way, Green Room and Too Late appear to be 2016 films for you if you're still disregarding festival dates. ;)

Green Room
9. Green Room
1. Green Room
3. Too Late
3. Too Late (Dennis Hauck)
7. Green Room (Jeremy Saulnier)
7. Green Room (the other "room")

What's the verdict as per:
By the way, Green Room and Too Late appear to be 2016 films for you if you're still disregarding festival dates. ;)

My verdict is that you're weird and you're free to keep being weird by yourself. For the rest of us it's too difficult to search IMDb and RYM comprehensively for films which have their non-festival date in 2015. A big pain in the arse once I realised how many films are affected, and if it's a film you wouldn't list yourself it's inconsequential.

On the other hand, I omitted Bad Boy Bubby and Body Melt in the 1993 thread because they're Australian films and you're the one running this, but I still kept them on my 1993 list saved locally. Since Green Room rates highly for you, I wouldn't mind either way if you prefer to count it towards a 2016 poll and not here. If/when we do 2016 I'd just list it again. I've added The Martian as an HM to my list so I have a spare.

I'm not the only one that does this though, Wainds was the one who suggested using IMDB instead because its dates are more accurate than RYM, that wasn't me, and Vegard included You Were Never Really Here in his 2018 list (as did many others) even though it was released in 3 countries to the public in 2017.

I'm just asking in case those who do care simply didn't see the dates and might wanna change them.

I'm not the only one that does this though, Wainds was the one who suggested using IMDB instead because its dates are more accurate than RYM, that wasn't me, and Vegard included You Were Never Really Here in his 2018 list (as did many others) even though it was released in 3 countries to the public in 2017.

I'm just asking in case those who do care simply didn't see the dates and might wanna change them.
I thought you asked because you're running the poll and thus worried about whether Green Room & Too Late star in the results for 2015 or 2016 (or maybe both). Why not disregard them here because of their popularity and the fact that you're in charge? ;) Then you can add a reminder when we do 2016.

Or if we'd done 2016 first, they wouldn't have been missed either as we'd see you list them and have the chance to follow suit. But only if you'd searched or catalogued them somehow. Do you search through 2014 films checking for ones that are 2015 under your criteria? IMDb is more accurate in that it lists more festival dates, meaning its search results are even less agreeable to your way of doing it than RYM.

2018 is a special problem because it's so recent. No big deal if users list what they've seen eg. in US theatres that year. But if we do a 2017 poll, they'll come across some of the same films when searching, so it's up to them to try and keep their system consistent. It doesn't affect me as I still haven't seen any 2018 films yet, although I'm gonna watch a couple soon.

I want these games to be accurate like the musical ones and have some consistency, thus the year it actually was released to the public is important. It's similar to the Symphony X issue we had where they had albums released early by a Japanese label and then widely released a year later (we concluded that regardless of the limited release in Japan, that was the year that counts), and festival dates are comparable to listening parties or test pressings for albums.

Just want to know how most people feel about this so I can establish a rule and do something to better help with the problem each round.

For example if I drop my "weird standard" of discounting festival dates, First Reformed becomes a 2017 movie and most people have treated it as a 2018 movie. So some standard has to be agreed on for these games to function.

The game only really becomes inaccurate when it affects the final results overall. If the rule is that we bump 'popular' films (ie. getting multiple votes) to their non-festival year, then that's enough to achieve consistency between your personal lists, these poll results, and the 2018 poll results - without causing a big headache.

I don't wanna do extra searching work for obscure films that nobody else is gonna list anyway. It'd be easy to miss films completely if the difference is more than one year. Theory of Obscurity was actually released to the wider public online in 2016 but that date's not even on IMDb.

Obscure films are a much lower tier of concern, and if they're niche enough that only you list it, I'd expect you to have the kind of intimate knowledge you just displayed here anyway.

The game only really becomes inaccurate when it affects the final results overall.

Sure, but also putting stuff in your list that won't even count is robbing you of the chance to put something else in that will count. Like I said, there needs to be a standard, and if that means I start including festival dates then so be it - as long as there's some attempt to set a standard here, that's fine.

But like I also pointed out, if I drop my "weird standard" and make the game rule that festival dates always count, several films become ineligible like First Reformed. 2018 is Wainds' game so he can run it how he likes, but it will also mean that whenever we eventually get around to do 2017 First Reformed will count again lol.

I don't particularly want to run a game that makes no sense and has no internal consistency, and we wouldn't accept it for the music games so I'm not sure why we would here either.

Just want to know how most people feel about this so I can establish a rule and do something to better help with the problem each round.

My view is stick to IMBD dates across the board.

I think it's OK for the current year polls to be an exception, because they are hardly carved in stone and people only list movies they've had the chance to see.