Good Opeth DVD? Ever?

Stormwatch said:
Yes, like poof juice. It came from being tainted by you wankers. Ha ha, you're all so funny. "Jesus this pathetic", "Stormwathc smells funny" etc etc. How incredibly funny it all is! Where DO you get it from?! Cunts' You;re all gayboys.
Etc
Etc
Etc
Etc
wow, you really are a dick if you thought i was insulting you back there. i'm rarely that childish when it comes to attacking someone (as 9ft can attest to ;) ) my insult back there was stupid beyond belief for a reason. oh well. *leaves you to your own devices*

Kottke, thanks, you're clearly a man of intellect.
Decadent, cheers, you're totally right of course.
And Luz, yeah, I agree, my original post was probably asking for trouble, and apparently a lot of people didn't have the mental capacity to see the actual point I was making. The reason I bought the "Lamentations" DVD was because, this time last year I was an Opeth fanboy just like you guys - I was buying all their stuff and even thought of getting a tattoo. Although I KNEW half the DVD would be "Damnation" I didn't expect to get fed up with it as soon as I did(that goes for the "Damnation" album as well). So, a lesson for everyone - don't just buy stuff cos you think the band are the dog's bollocks (I imagine that was the case for 80% of "St Anger"s sales).

One last thing, PoS, YOU may not be childish, but others clearly are, I can't be expected to know when someone's being subtle when their fellow board members are spouting bizarre shit. Take Chris Emerson - what a funny guy he is, I bet you all laughed yourself stupid at his hilarious posts (that was me being sarcastic, I doubt anyone laughed at him - he's obviously rather dull-witted, in an endearing way, like a puppy that looks cute but keeps shitting on your carpet).
Cheers! :)

*waits on replies*
*doesn't really, just wanted to be pretentious like House Of Seance*

Well I somewhat took you seriously, and actually took some time to reply to most of the points in your original post. It seems that you weren't actually interested in debating the topic matter you set, instead simply feeding flames. It's probably not a good time to get indignant when you value pointless mud-slinging over actually discussing something.

theres a difference between saying

"are Opeth ever going to release a dvd of mainly their heavy stuff?"

...and saying...

"Lamentations was fucking boring, I sold my copy on eBay two weeks after wasting money on it. why force this mellow crap on us? Mikael, get it sorted mate - give us a good, HEAVY, live performance."

learn it.

And i think youll find quite a lot of the current members will be here in a years time - i've been here 2 years now. That is, as long as idiots like you don't keep coming and trying to screw things up.

Posting on a bands own forum, that the band read, slagging off one of their releases isnt a good way to please the members on here. If you wanted to ask about a heavy dvd, ask about it. But don't act so surprised when you get the reaction you did after a post like that.

And lets clear one thing up: my posts weren't supposed to be funny. i was actually telling you to fuck off, cause i think you are a cock. See above for reasons why.

Moonlapse said:
Well I somewhat took you seriously, and actually took some time to reply to most of the points in your original post. It seems that you weren't actually interested in debating the topic matter you set, instead simply feeding flames. It's probably not a good time to get indignant when you value pointless mud-slinging over actually discussing something.

Well, yes, I was being serious - admittedly going the wrong way about it perhaps but that's how I felt at the time. :loco: I wasn't really looking for a debate or discussion, I was just wondering what the chances were of gettinga DVD with all their material on it, which would be more representative of the band. Yeah, I fed the flames because those people were having such a good time insulting me I thought I'd give them something to get indignant about.
I'm not indignant, I'm just always surprised when fans of a band take themselves so seriously. You'd think it was a religion or something, but like I pointed out a few times - most people won't be posting here this time next year.

ChrisEmerson said:
And i think youll find quite a lot of the current members will be here in a years time - i've been here 2 years now.

Sorry, I didn't remember ever reading your posts when I used to post here. But then, the stuff you post is rather forgettable isn't it?

ChrisEmerson said:
Posting on a bands own forum, that the band read, slagging off one of their releases isnt a good way to please the members on here.

I wasn't trying to please the members, I was asking a question. If you can't take a band you like getting criticism perhaps you should go live in a fucking ranforest or something, with no access to other human beings. I've bought every album Opeth have released, will buy their next albums I'm sure, bought the T-Shirt etc - I think I'm entitled to moan about ONE release.

ChrisEmerson said:
And lets clear one thing up: my posts weren't supposed to be funny.

That explains why they weren't then.

jethro-1970.jpg

The lamentations DVD was to promote Damnation.

If you can't see it as a marketing device, well, then you need to be killed.

If Opeth had control of the DVD, you would think they'd play more heavy shit, no?

Decadent said:
This thread has been done to death.

Absolutely. It's riddled with pubescent insults, and underlined with ardent fanboys. Seems that most here can't grasp the reality that another individual may have a distaste for a work produced by their beloved band.

I'll agree that the manner that Storm went about making his comments were not subtle. But the perfervid comments expressed on this board were the peak of stupidity.

Ha ha! I love it! Jinn, are you saying that Opeth use their releases as "marketing devices"? So they'd rather market themselves and sell more stuff than reward their loyal fans? Are you possibly suggesting Opeth have sold out?

I think the thing was that the label, rather than the band, was more concerned about marketing than putting out a DVD that the band would feel that truly represented them. In fact, I distincly remember Mike saying some time in the past that he didn't overly like the idea of Opeth doing live albums/videos.

As far as the 'no old stuff' clause basically, MFN/Zomba Music were too tight fisted to bother going through the potential legal and financial rigmarole of having songs that other publishing companies have the rights to appearing on a release by an artist now on *their* publishing roster. Personally, it seems to me that bands in the US have a better system; they generally set up their own publishing sub-entities and do the paperwork for collecting songwriting money through ASCAP/BMI, rather than signing their rights away for the songs on 'x' amount of albums to a publishing company. If Opeth had gone about things the way most big-ish and up US bands do, they could put anything they wanted on their live DVD, as they would have retained the rights to the songs, if I understand that way of going about it correctly. Ah well, shit happens.

I like Lamentations, but here's hoping their next label is more open to having old shit on a live DVD, and is willing to go the distance to make such a reality happen.