Graveland's Discography Ranked

#11 Will Stronger Than Death (2007)

R-2112847-1264714083.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 4.4/14

... the best material I've heard come out in 2007 so far is definitely Graveland's "Will Stronger Than Death". Fuck me, what an album.

Will Stronger than Death is probably his most consistent record of the last decade (not counting the M&D rerecording, which is amazing).

i like will stronger than death, with songs like apocalypto and victoria divina. its definitely stronger than fire of awakening and dawn of iron blades.

#10 In the Glare of Burning Churches (1993)

113720036.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.25/14

Does anyone else find Graveland's In the Glare of Burning Churches quite a boring listen?

Graveland-IN THE GLARE OF BURNING CHURCHES is the most disturbing, most anti christian and most evil Black Metal album ever.

Crimson Velvet said:
My nephew has a "In the Glare of Burning Churches" shirt... I'm so proud of him... :cool:

#9 Fire Chariot of Destruction (2005)

1461977.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.29

Fire Chariot Of Destruction was a bit unbalanced, but it had some very strong material, such as Creator And Destroyer.

The new one and Fire Chariot Of Destruction are both ace. I like his use of subtly "technical" rhythmic/riff patterns.

Definitely check out Fire Chariot Of Destruction. It is rather hi-fi for a Graveland album and contains some of his "catchiest" and most epic work.

#8 Dawn of Iron Blades (2004)

58760.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.43/14

I'd have to say, after listening to this a handful of times, this is Graveland's most badass album. Everything reeks of epic Black Fucking Metal the way it was meant to be. Their best.

i really like dawn of iron blades too, i'm inclined to call it the best graveland release this decade

#7 Memory and Destiny (2002)

R-456995-1276451948.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.04/14

I've been listening to a lot of Graveland and have come to the conclusion that Memory And Destiny is vastly underrated. This is superb.

You can't go wrong with any Graveland album, really. "Memory and Destiny" is one of my favorite Graveland releases, not sure why most consider it to be one of his weaker ones...

#6 The Celtic Winter (1994)

R-379619-1256717323.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.79/14

No. Lets discuss Rob's fantastic lyrics instead.

"In Celtic Winter wolves wear the white garments...
In Celtic Winter the weak hearts die...
In Celtic Winter hunger tears human bowles...
In Celtic Winter time slowly elapses..."

I see a nobel prize for literature on the way.

Graveland - "The Celtic Winter" is rather "evil" too, albeit a very melodic kind of evilness.

The Celtic Winter is cool but there's still heavy Burzum influence.

It's one of the most epic albums I've ever heard.

#5 Creed of Iron (2000)

119037641.jpg

Average points per vote: 8.88/14

Vilden said:
Fuck you Graveland haters, Creed of Iron is one of Darkens best!

A lot of people didn't like Creed of Iron, but I think it is an excellent release and is Graveland at their most accessible.

Creed of Iron and Memory and Destiny have much better guitar tone and production than the earlier albums and they are both excellent.

#4 Carpathian Wolves (1994)

R-382595-1274283505.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 10.37/14

First place votes: 1 (Krow)

Carpathian Wolves is an unsettlingly dark album. Everything about this record just seethes darkness, from the vile snarls to the vicious riffs to the blaring synths that sound like the soundtrack to the doorway to Hell. The compositions are raw, tribal, and warlike, but also convey a profound, dark mysticism. The album also kicks off with the best piece of black ambient ever recorded

I don't see how Graveland can go from Carpathian Wolves to Thousand Swords to Following The Voice Of Blood to Immortal Pride to Creed Of Iron and be accused of never evolving.

#2 Thousand Swords (1995)

1677.jpg

Average points per vote: 11.74/14

First place votes: 3 (Omni, Onder, Slayed Necros)

Man, Graveland has a lot of just fucking wonderful albums, but I, too, and team Thousand Swords.

Thousand Swords is classic and is the only essential Graveland album.

I still maintain that Thousand Swords is neoclassical more than folk, in the way of Bela Bartok.

Thousand Swords is overrated. It's a good album, but it's the weakest of their first six full lengths. I've never understood why people think it's their best release.

Thousand Swords is certainly a highly original release, and for that it deserves credit. It does drag on in parts and is best absorbed as an atmospheric experience than a Black Metal album though. I ultimately find the majority of his earlier work and Dawn Of Iron Blades (most likely Fire Chariot Of Destruction as well) more enjoyable than Thousand Swords.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
#1 Following the Voice of Blood (1997)

1678.jpg

Average points per vote: 11.88/14

First place votes: 2 (J., crimsonfloyd)

The only Graveland album I don't like is Following the Voice of Blood. I simply can't get past the horrid production (the guitar tone, more than anything).

Personally, I'd rate Graveland above the majority, if not all, of the classic Norwegian acts. I've yet to find a black metal album that matches the epic scope, majesty, and beauty of Following the Voice of Blood.

Burzum, Emperor, Immortal, Mayhem and the bit I've heard from Darkthrone can't match that album.

As for the integration of folk into metal, I would agree if we were talking about Following the Voice of Blood, which exhibits far better writing and production [than Thousand Swords].

Reactions: CiG
Yeah I think the top 4 is pretty much what I would expect; however, I thought Thousand Swords was gonna win for sure. Glad it didn't as I've said a million times before, it's not nearly his best album. Still, I think this list is a good reference for newbies coming to Graveland.

I'm also surprised that Thousand Swords has not won, but oh well. There were not many voters.

Today on the train I listened to Fire Chariot and Fire of Awakening again and now it is clear to me that Fire Chariot is a stronger album. I would say the weakest time in the disco was Creed - Memory - Fire of Awakening, basically the time he was redefining his style into more pagan viking. I would put Thunderbolts above those albums.

But with Fire Chariot he gets it right. Right now I'm listening to Dawn of Iron Blades and it's kicking my butt as well.

I'd say Memory and Destiny is one of his best, and clearly the pinnacle of the cinematic style. I totally agree about Fire Chariot. It came out of no where. He dropped the synths, raised the speed, upped the anger and released one of his best.

I also dig Thunderbolt of the Gods as well.

Reactions: Onder
So now that we've settled the albums, what do you guys think about the rerecordings? I'm listening to the 1050 Years of Pagan Cult where he did some of the early classics but he also rerecorded few albums completely. Any opinions?

I'm loving this one.

The rerecording of Memory and Destiny is top notch. The Fire of Awakening one is not bad. Havent heard the Dawn of Iron Blades one that was just released.