GMD Poll: The Chasm's Discography Ranked

Curious why you find The Spell to be better than Farseeing, but you’ve also implied there isn’t much in it for you. I guess it’ll be revealed when you post your comments.

I’m also interested in seeing Crimson’s list as Deathcult is the only one that’s made any of his yearly lists iirc.

Updated and autism:

1. Procession to the Infraworld - 7/10, consistent and high quality
2. Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm - 6.5/10, about as consistent with higher but fewer highs
3. Conjuration of the Spectral Empire - 6/10, not so consistent but still a strong attempt
4. Procreation of the Inner Temple - 5/10, messy and all over the place but the highs are close to their other albums, and two of the weakest songs are apparently demo tracks pinned on anyways
5. Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph - 4/10, if they cut out all the Emperor shit and tightened up this could have been at least on par with the top 2
6. The Spell of Retribution - 4/10, thrash does not work for them, comes off as repetitious
7. From the Lost Years... - 3/10, borderline incompetent and very wimpy, almost reminds me more of Macrocosmic Emotions than anything anyone should take seriously

Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm (2009)

Vault to the Voyage – 4.5/5 (instrumental, big mean chugs and satisfies my hi-hat fetish, this is what I live for, pretty long but it seems to build pretty continuously, will need many listens to digest this one though)
Callous Spectre/Vehement Opposition – 4/5 (brings the riffs)
The Mission/Arrival to Hopeless Shores (Calling the Paranormal Abysm) - 4/5 (very melodic and atmospheric, some legit beautiful stuff in here, the return to the Middle-Eastern exotic vibes with that runaway guitar line around 9:20 is totally picturesque)
The Promised Ravage - 3.5/5 (thrashiest song, kinda straight-forward but it doesn't get locked into a single tempo like a lot of the stuff on Spell does, seems to revisit and modify earlier riffs in a cool way too like around 5 minutes in, Testament riffing but this is vintage First Strike is Deadly-tier riffing)
Fiery Rebirth – 3/5 (I like the Obliveon-esque parts)
Entering a Superior Dimension – 3/5 (everything about it seemed good but it didn’t grab me)
Farseeing…/Structure of the Séance – 3/5 (instrumental, decent chop but kinda goes through the motions)

I don't understand your rating system. Your average rating for each song is > 3.5/5, with higher ratings for the longest songs, and it's still just a 6.5/10 for you?

I like that he put the first one above the second one, which is just about my strongest opinion about their discography. The rest of his ratings is downright autism.

I don't understand your rating system. Your average rating for each song is > 3.5/5, with higher ratings for the longest songs, and it's still just a 6.5/10 for you?

It's me being reserved. I've listened to Procession a decent number of times now but that was my first listen of Farseeing in full iirc.

EDIT: And I'm just sluttier with my song ratings overall. Only about 2% of my ratings on RYM are 4.5 or 5 star albums but I probably have 5-10% of my song ratings in that range. Even an album with consistently excellent songs may fall short of being an excellent album if there are other things holding it back, e.g. conceptual consistency, bad production, overuse of ideas, etc.

Your top 3 for Farseeing is the same as mine, except reverse your order and 5/5 the shit out of “The Mission/Arrival to Hopeless Shores”. Hard for me to put into words how I feel about that song, but yeah it’s a masterpiece and one of their best songs ever.

Kinda surprised at your comparatively low rating for “Structure of the Seance”. I thought the whirlwind riffing would be right up your street.

I don't get the low Spell ratings. Granted I haven't listened all the way through their discography, but I dig the Spell hard. If the Spell is "repetitious" I look forward to the rest.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
I will say that this band does have a very recognizable sound. I had music on shuffle and I said "This song sounds like it could be a The Chasm song" and sure enough I was right.

Curious why you find The Spell to be better than Farseeing, but you’ve also implied there isn’t much in it for you. I guess it’ll be revealed when you post your comments.

i don't really, hence the head/heart comment. i love the spell of retribution, it was the first new chasm album to come out after i got into them and i've rarely been more hyped for an album, i played it a fuckton as soon as it was out. over time it revealed itself to be more inconsistent than its predecessors ('fortress', 'manifest my intervention' and 'conjuring the new apocalypse' are among their weakest songs IMO, just quite muddy and draggy with too much generic chugging for my tastes, they lack that grand 'cosmic' quality or w/e), but it also contains three of my favourite chasm songs in 'the eclipse', 'retribution of the lost years' and 'remains of the covenant', and i have a lot of love for the intro/opener too.

farseeing
is definitely more consistent ('the promised ravage' is the weakest cut and still good) but i don't have quite the same attachment to it, aside from the closer which i agree is one of their absolute greatest achievements. to clarify what i said about farseeing before (and it applies to the spell as well), the problem isn't that it doesn't flow but rather that too much of it lacks the 'narrative' quality that peaked with deathcult; it operates more like a soundscape at times, which is fine but a little less to my tastes. with the mid-period work and deathcult in particular, songs always seem to be going somewhere and even when they employ repetition/callbacks it feels like a natural extension of their temporal/cyclical themes, whereas the recent stuff has increasingly felt like more of a jam session to me (an accusation i think the newest album kind of validates lol). there isn't the same intensity and momentum that my absolute favourite chasm albums have (i'm a bigger slut for momentum than most people). that said, farseeing is still awesome and i think i ranked it first for its year, it's all relative innit. i like pompey's description of the album and i think it does occupy its own niche extremely well.

I kinda felt the same about “The Promised Ravage”, but came to realise I like it quite a bit more than “Fiery Rebirth”.

I’m going to try and rank their instrumentals (not including the new album):

1. Procession to the Infraworld
2. Deathcult Arrival
3. Spectral Sons of the Mictlan (hard to compare to these longer ones, but I fucking love this a lot)
4. Callous Spectre/Vehement Opposition
5. Vault to the Voyage
6. From the Curse, A Scourge
7. Structure of the Seance
8. Procreation of the Inner Temple

This is tough and I’m not really convinced of my order outside of the top 2 and the last one.

Their masterpiece:
1. Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph

Other albums that are stellar:
2. Farseeing Paranormal Abysm
3. Procreation of the Inner Temple (This one seems really underrated. Every song is captivating and memorable.)
4. Procession to the Infraworld

Solid, but somewhat by the numbers:
5. Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
6. The Spell of Retribution

Good, but wears out its welcome:
7. From the Lost Years

Doesn't really work for me:
8. A Conscious Creation from the Isolated Domain: Phase I

Gonna give Farseeing one last listen. I might move Procreation... up a spot after listening to it again today. It's an album I really love from start to finish.

Overall, I gotta say it's a really strong discography. There's only one album I don't like. Everything else is good to great.

1 - Farseeing Paranormal Abysm
2 - Procession of the Infraworld
3 - Conjuration to the Spectral Empire
4 - A Conscious Creation From an Isolated Domain: Phase I
5 - The Spell of Retributions
*6 - Deathcult for Eternities

Last edited:
Hey now, let's not forget about that "Immortal Rights" blunder that's still showing on the GMD SONG SURVIVOR MASTER LIST ;-)