GMD Poll: The Chasm's Discography Ranked

Dave Vincent's choice of house-party music would be pretty out there to say the least.

giphy.gif

Looking forward to moving on from this one tbh

Reactions: CiG
I shouldn't be surprised that The Chasm produced so much fart-huffing but yeah this one has been particularly brutal. I am grateful for the push to check out their shit though.

I shouldn't be surprised that The Chasm produced so much fart-huffing but yeah this one has been particularly brutal. I am grateful for the push to check out their shit though.
If anything, it's reaffirmed my preference for their latter period in the 2000s.

8) A Conscious Creation from the Isolated Domain: Phase I (2017)

Average points per vote: 2.1/8

A CONSCIOUS CREATION FROM THE ISOLATED DOMAIN: PHASE I
People call this Farseeing but without vocals, and I don't agree at all. It completely lacks the dynamism of Farseeing. The tracklist indicates that it's split into four discrete movements, but it just feels like this unending maelstrom of riffs, like I'm listening to a Deathcult Arrival-esque opening track that just goes on and on for 65 minutes. That it's one of their least interesting albums has nothing to do with the absence of vocals. It just doesn't go anywhere. They need to slow it down and doom it up more and throw in more ominous synth interludes or whatever

Conscious Creation. I've been listening to that thing a lot tbh. It's been my go to album when in need of some quality death metal riffage and nothing else. It's hard to rate this along with the rest though, as I just appreciate it for what it is, even though it might not be so developed as the rest.

They could easily be swapped tbh. I'm perhaps swayed by the fact I've been playing it a lot lately and it's still fresh, but also the songwriting on Conscious Creation is, I think, underappreciated given it's masked by how bad the production is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegard Pompey
7) Procreation of the Inner Temple (1994)

R-2613327-1421573345-7928.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 2.5/8

Although the production The Chasm's "Procreation of The Inner Temple" is dry and airy, it gives the album an aura of gloominess and creates an atmosphere, well in my opinion.

the cd is probably sold out. i need to listen to Procreation of the Inner Temple more but IIRC the production is so shit that it's hard to hear what's going on. the re-recorded track on the Procreation re-issue sounds killer

The debut isn't really relevant to me, it's too undeveloped and hard on the ears and why even bother with it when they have six masterpieces you could be listening to?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegard Pompey
6) From the Lost Years... (1995)

1559.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.5/8

First place votes: 1 (Vegard Pompey)

Over the last few days, i've been consistently listening to The Chasm's From The Lost Years. It mostly explores the songwriting ideas that would later be honed to perfection on the following the album.

I feel like already by the 2nd record The Chasm were putting out classic material. From the Lost Years... is severely underrated.

Glad Procreation of the Inner Temple finished higher than last place. I remember really enjoying that one, and anyone who was bitching about its subpar production can GAGF.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
5) The Spell of Retribution (2004)

83019-the-spell-of-retribution.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.9/8

First place votes: 1 (Talos of Atmora)

Eh, I've listened to it quite a few times (and am indeed listening to it now), and it strikes me as the weakest to date.

The opening intro has nearly the same riff as "Procession to the Infraworld" on their previous album did; the next song has a few passages that sound like fucking Dissection; Manifest My Intervention has one of the dumbest transitions I've ever heard; Fortress, the best song on the album, starts off with a lousy riff; the list goes on and on.

As a whole, the whole album is somewhat of a more rock-n-roll affair, particularly in the guitar solos.

That said, it's not terrible; in fact, I'd say it's a "good" album- around a 70% or so if I were to review it. But it's a far cry from Deathcult or Conjuration.

"The Spell..." is mountaineous. Just listen to the swirling epic masterpiece that is "Retribution of the Lost Years", or the thunderous "The Omnipotent Codex". You thought Fortress was the best on it, and that's possibly the shittiest, so I've no idea where you're coming from, honestly. The melodies are as explorative as ever, there's a greater feeling of relentlessness than on Deathcult without ever losing drive or direction, there's great climaxes and reflective passages and ambience, it whirls chaotically along an epic ancient journey with even more intensity than anything they've written before. As a conceptual expression it's pretty much flawless. Certainly better than anything that isn't "Deathcult..." and CERTAINLY better than "Procession of the Infraworld", christ that's appallingly flat in comparison (even though I like it).

It's reminiScent btw. ;)

edit: I realise the irony of my mispelling of mountainous.

I listened to The Spell of Retribution from The Chasm and thought it was mehtastic.

Last edited:
lol i forgot how much i wasn't into procession back then. i like how that almost reads like a phylactery post though.

i couldn't spell for shit, yikes. i bet crim quoted that on purpose as revenge.

Reactions: CiG