Guitar Player's Thread

i start to gradually get better at increasing my speed but the dilemma is that it is always with a different technique or style and my others falter.
For instance if i practice building up my pentatonics and 3 and 4 note runs but then areas like my sweep picking start to get sloppy and vice versa when i practice sweeping. Any ideas on that?

Try dividing your time to give equal time to 2 or 3 different techniques each day then. Don't get too divided and distracted though, i.e. practicing like 10 minutes of 10 different things each day. Better to actually improve on one or two things. Some days you will feel like you're getting worse. That's part of life; take a break, go for a swim, jog around the park, and then come back to practicing with a rested mind.

I lol'd @ "rest"

I'm pretty sure Jeff Loomis fumbled up his speech at the beginning of the DVD.

What I think he meant to say was, "This is the portion of the DVD where I jizz all over your face, mortal."

That was insane playing. Jeff rules. I love that picked harmonic minor solo in Jato Unit. I'll probably have a go at transcribing it later in the week, might learn it, although won't be able to play it like that, haha.

That was insane playing. Jeff rules. I love that picked harmonic minor solo in Jato Unit. I'll probably have a go at transcribing it later in the week, might learn it, although won't be able to play it like that, haha.

Be sure to post them here! :heh: I haven't bothered transcribing songs from the album because I suck at figuring out all the instruments, unlike you :lol: I pretty much just slowed down the cd and figured out some licks out by ear (like most of Jato Unit), but Jeff plays them sightly differently when demonstrating them...

I didn't know that Roope did the solo on that, but when I first heard that song I really liked the solo. Now I know why I guess. That's too funny.

I did one of these when I read he did the solo >:OMG: lol

Indeed he played that lead. I love it :kickass:

How will AA do that solo live? They don't even pretend to play it in the video

They already say they are not going to pretend they can do that, they'll just either come up with something easier or leave it without lead :lol:

Just asking if it's safe. I am just making everything so the guitar will work like a glove!:kickass: Also put out a ad today about that im selling it

You'll regret it, I'm telling you :lol: Good luck though, which prize did you go with finally?

Just because he's decided to grow up and stop sucking alexi's dick doesn't mean he should get out.

:rolleyes:

Whats the difference between cheesy and catchy leads?

Or should I just not give a fuck what people think in my songs?

Cheesy don't necessarily invite you to listen to them, they're just cheesy, but catchy instantly get you hooked. And not like you shouldn't give a fuck about what people says about your songs (just to avoid becoming some kind of Nick Olson :lol:), but just take criticism as something positive and analyse if what's criticised could be improved or it's like that because you want it like that. At the end of the day, you're the composer and you're the one who knows how the song goes and what you want of it. As far as I'm concerned, if your writing usually goes on the likes of your COBOT song, you can throw people's opinions right into the dustbin, because it rocks :lol:

sooooo i jammed with my friend josh whos in a local metal band and hes been praising about me to all his friends and now i have some offers to be lead guitarist in a couple bands, the one most promising is a epic thrash/power thing sorta like nevermore/opeth. this guys got great tunes already and they have a full band but they just need a killer lead guitarist (myself :p) to join them so im gonna jam with them on wednesday :D

Good luck!

Damn just noticed how awesome the Bodom After Midnight solo is, too fast though :p

Agreed :kickass:

:lol::lol::lol:

Does anyone have a strat, and has had problems with the springs in the back ringing when you pick hard?

I gotta fix this somehow lol

duct-tape-3m.jpg

Does anyone have a strat, and has had problems with the springs in the back ringing when you pick hard?

I gotta fix this somehow lol

Stuff the cavity with cottonballs or a small towel or something. The same thing can happen to any guitar with a floyd.

I've started composing a piece for COBOT, as of an hour ago or so.

It's still total crap right now, and nowhere near done, but I was wondering what you all thought. I tried to do something different.

I still have to compose the bass, 2nd guitar, etc. in terms of the tracks. And in terms of composition, I have to do the bridge, solo, final chorus, and outro. I think. It still seems too simple, to me. I hate when things get too repetitive, but I may need to have certain parts repeat a bit more than once over.

EDIT: I'll probably also add some keys/strings to flesh it out, too. And more riffs.

EDIT2: Converting it to GP4 really quick.

EDIT3: Alright done.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oeanif

Alright, that should work.

And again, it's very far from finished. But I'm curious nonetheless. I definitely plan on making it much better by the time it's done, though.