Guitar Player's Thread

I feel like an idiot asking this, but.. When sweep picking, do you have to pick the 2nd note on the last string or do you hammer it?? Since I can't even understand my question, I'll just illustrate it for you :lol:

e|-------12-17-12-------|
B|----13----------13----|
G|-14----------------14-|
D|----------------------|
A|----------------------|
E|----------------------|

or..

e|-------12h17p12-------| (pull-off optional)
B|----13----------13----|
G|-14----------------14-|
D|----------------------|
A|----------------------|
E|----------------------|

Or does it go by tastes?

Sorry if this post contains lots of errors.. but I'm too lazy to check it and im kinda tired right now.. Thanks..

yeah it depends on what you want it to sound like. you can also do a combination of them like this:

e----------12-17-p12---------------------------
b-------13------------13---------------
g----14-------------------14-------------

in fact, this is one of the arpeggios used in the intro of Towards Dead End.

well that, and whatever you need to practice. if you suck at doing hammer ons and pull offs, then maybe you should practice sweeping with the hammer ons and pull offs.

otherwise, what kinda sound do you want to produce? hammering on and pulling off gives a more legato sound, or if you want a normal picking sound or maybe sticatto, then you'd pick.

hm.. so it's all about personal tastes?
Its all about what sound you want to make and what notes you want to be dominant, like without picking you can accent the bottom notes and take it lighter on the higher notes while changing tempo for a cool effect. (if you get what I mean)

I'd advise practising them starting with a high note and using this picking because it's easier to keep in a solid tempo.

2e38klv.jpg

Thanks alot everyone! sorry, I was pretty tired yesterday, but i've been practicing my sweeps for 5-6 hours now.. and they're way better.. I prefer hammer ons and pull offs :D