Guitar Player's Thread

I just saw Trivium's video for Throes of Perdition, holy shit it's epic looking

[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=51589568[/ame]

@phenom: So you sold your RR24 and got a Loomis. And bought his Shred DVD.

Trading one idol for another? :lol:

I'm just teasing. He's phenomenal anyway, and hell, I bought that DVD too.

@Lowberg: They're apparently making a 3 part music video for the title track, Shogun.

Yeah, I don't care what people say about trivium their new record is phenomenal.
I HATED old Trivium and I wont even hold that against them, I think Shogun will be a timeless metal record.

And Jeff Loomis is so cool, he blows my mind lol

I just wish he and the other guys would get working on a new Nevermore album!!!

I completely agree, wholeheartedly, on both points.

I really want to hear the unreleased song Silence in the Snow. Apparently it's one they really wanted on Shogun, but decided to save or something.

"I can't play slow, man!" :lol:

I ddn't like his tone much. sounded ok for the leads, but like for the low E type of riffing, it was too muddy. I like it when you can differentiate the notes at least somewhat.

I see what you mean, though on videos like that, the tone is usually not so good, though it really depends on the situation.

In that video, it looked like he was plugged into a Hughes & Kettner, which are great amps so I'm surprised. But considering that he generally plays ENGL, he probably didn't bother or have time dialing in just the right tone. Sometimes for things like that they'll even just have the player plug into a crappy little combo.

And of course, some quality is also always lost on youtube clips. But I can see what you're saying about his tone there, and I agree.

ugh I'm about to go to my singer's house to record some vocals.

It's going to be quite the challenge for me to get him to focus because hes so hyper and is the poster child for A.D.D. and ADHD.
Should be fun though, I'll take some videos to give you a sneak peak!

@phenom: So you sold your RR24 and got a Loomis. And bought his Shred DVD.

Trading one idol for another? :lol:

I'm just teasing. He's phenomenal anyway, and hell, I bought that DVD too.
:lol:
Nah, I got the Schecter C-7 Hellraiser black. Was just the cheapest alternative. Also, I afford a molded hardcase with the Hellraiser so it's that extra luxury! It's basically the same guitar still...only that it has Mahogany body instead of Ash and Rosewood fretboard instead of maple. Oh yes, and the coil tapped EMG 707s.

Also, Wasn't really sure of getting a maple fretboard guitar anyway. I'd have to protect it with oils n' shit which i don't have the patience for :lol: Also, I prefer painted/oiled necks over satin so. The Loomis would have been 80€ more.

@Lowberg: Yes, Shogun is a really good CD. They hit big on that one IMO.

Sure Twisha, I'll definitely do my best. :)

@Phenom: Nice call, the Hellraiser is a really good one too. And like you said, they're almost the same guitar anyway. As we both know, he even played one before too. The hardshell case is also always really nice. Especially when its being shipped to you.

And on that note, as to that guitar and what Mys said earlier, I think I may prefer mahogany bodies actually. Though, I'm still unsure about the neck. I like the warmth and roundness from mahogany but still like definition, and hate when it gets muddy. Which is why I think I like to mix the maple neck in there, to balance it out. But I have yet to actually play a guitar with that combo. I'll just have to see. Though, the woods really don't make nearly as big of a difference as pickups or amp andall that, but still.

That's the truth.

So, who's everyone's favorite guitarist/musician?

They don't have to be the one you necessarily think is the fastest, most technical, best overall musician, coolest person, or anything specific at all. Just you're favorite, for whatever reason, even if you don't know what that reason is. And you can only pick one (okay, maybe two).

Mine is Jerry Cantrell.

Alexi because I love his playing style and the solos he composes.

And Hans Zimmer for making the most epic music there is.
I thinks it's hard to rate Hans Zimmer because you never know whether it was his work or not: he's always tagged as the composer like in the first PotC but Klaus Badelt did the work and he only contributed some stuff from The Rock (which he did together with others) and produced the music.

But I agree with Alexi. Jari from Wintersun and Roehr/Weidner should be named there too. And whoever makes Blind Guardian choruses and Christopher Bowes does awesome songs too.

As for score composers John Williams and Howard Shore are my favourites.
My classical favourites are Vivaldi for his violin works and J.S. Bach for his overall awesomeness.

I could name a huge number of musicians here, but since you limited it to two:

1. Steve Vai
Alltime fave for inspiration, deep meaning in his playing which really touches the soul, his holistic approach etc. Listening to Steve Vai definitely changed my life back then. Aaaand everything he toughes becomes gold: FZ (although the records are great without Steve, too), David Lee Roth records, Whitesnake's Slip Of The Tongue, Alcatrazz' Disturbing The Peace...
Hell, even my girlfriend recognizes Steve's playing in a normal rock song.

2. Guthrie Govan

My favorite guitar player at the moment because of his uncomparable fusion of shred, jazz and modesty.

Alexi, IA, Pablo Gilberto, Andy Timmons blablabla are amazing, too. ;)

That's the truth.

They don't have to be the one you necessarily think is the fastest, most technical, best overall musician, coolest person, or anything specific at all. Just you're favorite, for whatever reason, even if you don't know what that reason is. And you can only pick one (okay, maybe two).

Mine is Jerry Cantrell.

ATM, listed in random order:

Jeff Beck
Jan Hammer
Mattias "IA" Eklundh
Chris Poland
Reb Beach

I love all these players because each and everyone of them opened new worlds and opportunities in guitar for me. Even though Jan Hammer plays keys :p.
There's just so many different ideas and things going on that gets me as excited as PG licks did in the beginning. It's just, you hear PG licks from EVERYONE now a days, and they're cool but they - to me - lack some kind of life. I still have huge respect for PG tho.

I'm also getting into Jens Johansson solo stuff.