Guitar Player's Thread

Sure Twisha, I'll definitely do my best. :)

@Phenom: Nice call, the Hellraiser is a really good one too. And like you said, they're almost the same guitar anyway. As we both know, he even played one before too. The hardshell case is also always really nice. Especially when its being shipped to you.

And on that note, as to that guitar and what Mys said earlier, I think I may prefer mahogany bodies actually. Though, I'm still unsure about the neck. I like the warmth and roundness from mahogany but still like definition, and hate when it gets muddy. Which is why I think I like to mix the maple neck in there, to balance it out. But I have yet to actually play a guitar with that combo. I'll just have to see. Though, the woods really don't make nearly as big of a difference as pickups or amp andall that, but still.

Yep, Hardshell case is always a nice luxury. I was mad a while ago that my amp sounds muddy but then i rememberd I have Ibanez Vintage 7/8 pickups :lol: Will probably be ALOOOOT better with EMGs...I will wait before getting EMGs for the MTM2 though. It's a nice guitar overall...was affordable too so ;)

Yeah well...I do like the look of Maple necks but there's just the "warm" look of rosewood that i like. Especially really dense Rosewood is fucking sex!!! I do like the Loomis and might consider getting one with FR someday(since the non-trem probably never will be in production again) if I got some spare cash lying around :lol: For now, I just decided the Hellraiser because it is fucking sex aswell :lol: The Hellraisers sound...BIG. That's the only way I can put it. They are slightly heavier than your average guitar but the tone is very consistent and punchy. It will crush your nuts!

@Favorite guitarists/musicians:

Well, In no particular order my list would be:

Jeff Loomis (His soloing is orgasmic and riffing heavy )
Michael Amott (He has written some of my favorite riffs and solos ;) )
Devin Townsend (The mad doctor...he is THE man!)
Michael Romeo(Like his style but it's nothing i attempt to play. Love his tapping and harmonic minor licks)

Also, I like Dave Mustaine for his killer rhytm and ofcourse Chris Broderick(Kinda self explanatory...he is just awesome)

Favorite Heavier Metal/Melodic DM/whatever you wanna call it Musicians:
Chris Amott (Arch Enemy, Hes the underrated of the Amott Brothers and wrote all my favorite Arch Enemy solos haha)
Alexi Laiho (Used to be cool)
Bjorn Strid (Soilwork Vocalist)
Devin Townsend (Devin Townsend Band)
Warrel Dane (Nevermore)
Jesper Stromblad/Bjorn Gelotte (In Flames)

80's Dudes:
Paul Gilbert (guitar jesus)
King Diamond/Andy LaRocque/Mikkey Dee ( Mikkey D is my favorite 80s Drummer)
All the Maiden guys

that's who comes to the top of my head anyways.

I like Mozart a lot too, I think he would rip in a metal band

People who say that SV can't write emotional songs should listen to this masterpiece by the way:

It's incredible and can make the toughest guys cry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thinks it's hard to rate Hans Zimmer because you never know whether it was his work or not: he's always tagged as the composer like in the first PotC but Klaus Badelt did the work and he only contributed some stuff from The Rock (which he did together with others) and produced the music.

As for score composers John Williams and Howard Shore are my favourites.
My classical favourites are Vivaldi for his violin works and J.S. Bach for his overall awesomeness.
same here, for classical composers. Bach would be an insane jazz musician if he was around today.

as for overall favorite, I'd definitely say Alexi's early compositions including his stuff in Sinergy. some of that stuff just blows my mind. and of course, some of the Sinergy compositions have to be credited to Jesper Strömblad (who also wrote some wonderful stuff for early In Flames, i.e. Moonshield)
Sure Twisha, I'll definitely do my best. :)

thanks! I'll send you the GP file once I'm finished with writing. I actually didn't go to my classes today so I can play more guitar...and I don't know if that's a good thing :erk: Also, are you getting the toneport anytime soon? I'm assuming you're planning on recording vocals thru that right?

I have a funny feeling I'm gonna get my ass sued for this

one sec, fixing video, it'l be up in a few

Last edited by a moderator:
@Corny: :lol:, thanks for remembering. It's alright though, should have seen it coming. No worries.

@Twish: Yeah, it'd be the toneport. I'm ordering it tomorrow, so I should have it pretty soon. I'll have to get a mic too, but that shouldn't be too expensive (well, it doesn't have to be, though they can certainly can). It shouldn't take too long to get it all together and set up.

But nice choices everyone, it's good to see that everyone has such good taste (at least in my opinion). I'll just go ahead and break my own rule at this point. :p

If I were to elaborate on my choice as Jerry Cantrell being my all-time favorite (though that is of course very difficult to say), it would be for what I see as the just about perfect (to me) amalgamation of versatility, expressiveness, tastefulness, poignant phrasing, and ability to compose. I always liked how he could do everything from heavy music to gorgeous acoustic, and even instrumental soundscapes. He didn't always shred, even though he definitely could, but he always seems to play what's just right for the song. He also just seems like a really cool guy to me, humble and gracious.

An extremely close second choice would be Devin Townsend, easily. I just lose how amazing of a musician he is, from guitar to vocals, and pretty much everything he composes. As awesome as SYL is, I really like is solo stuff more. He's another one of those players who can shred, but doesn't feel the need to all the time. Not that it's bad to shred like crazy, but I just like it when it isn't full-throttle all of the time. That way when it does happen, you really take notice. It also gives the rest of the song more room to breathe, I believe, anyway. And he as pretty much anyone knows, is hilarious as well as very modest. No one can doubt that he lives and breathes music and does not do anything for fame or money.

Following those themes, two other favorites would be Michael (and Chris) Amott and Andy Timmons. Both just really expressive guitar players who speak so much with their melodies, and even though they do have insane solos and leads, don't forget the importance of the underlying rhythm and rest of the song as a whole and singular composition. Also, they both have probably some of my favorite tone, ever.

In terms of classical music, I really like Bach, Rachmaninoff, and Mozart. For the most part I love the Romantic-era composers (like Beethoven) rather than Golden, like Mozart (though he is my main exception). The reason for this being that in the latter, the meaning and emotion of the song was pretty much all based on what they perceived as the beauty of its form. They saw it as a structure, and from an almost purely technical standpoint. The rules were (of course) golden. However with the Romantic era, composers like Beethoven just threw them to the wind and (what seems perfectly rational to me) showed that the music's meaning and emotion should, obviously, be conveyed by the music itself as you hear it. Forget all of the rules and what you're supposed to do. Which is why a lot of the establishment scoffed at it. The Golden era was mostly music for musicians. Not that every composer from that era necessarily thought that way or made boring music, but still. Jean Sibelius is another great composer from near the end of the Romantic era.

And Baroque, I feel, kind of brought those two opposing ideas together. Bach and Vivaldi being two greats, and favorites of mine, from that time.

EDIT: I could go on an and ramble on forever about other amazing musicians and guitarists, but I'll just slew a bunch of names in no particular order...

Jeff Loomis, Mikael Akerfeldt, James Hetfield, Mark Knopfler, Marty Friedman, Yngwie, Vai, Paul Gilbert, Jesper Stromblad, Slash, Dimebag, Anders Bjorler, and Alexi.

@Corny: :lol:, thanks for remembering. It's alright though, should have seen it coming. No worries.

@Twish: Yeah, it'd be the toneport. I'm ordering it tomorrow, so I should have it pretty soon. I'll have to get a mic too, but that shouldn't be too expensive (well, it doesn't have to be, though they can certainly can). It shouldn't take too long to get it all together and set up.

But nice choices everyone, it's good to see that everyone has such good taste (at least in my opinion). I'll just go ahead and break my own rule at this point. :p

If I were to elaborate on my choice as Jerry Cantrell being my all-time favorite (though that is of course very difficult to say), it would be for what I see as the just about perfect (to me) amalgamation of versatility, expressiveness, tastefulness, poignant phrasing, and ability to compose. I always liked how he could do everything from heavy music to gorgeous acoustic, and even instrumental soundscapes. He didn't always shred, even though he definitely could, but he always seems to play what's just right for the song. He also just seems like a really cool guy to me, humble and gracious.

An extremely close second choice would be Devin Townsend, easily. I just lose how amazing of a musician he is, from guitar to vocals, and pretty much everything he composes. As awesome as SYL is, I really like is solo stuff more. He's another one of those players who can shred, but doesn't feel the need to all the time. Not that it's bad to shred like crazy, but I just like it when it isn't full-throttle all of the time. That way when it does happen, you really take notice. It also gives the rest of the song more room to breathe, I believe, anyway. And he as pretty much anyone knows, is hilarious as well as very modest. No one can doubt that he lives and breathes music and does not do anything for fame or money.

Following those themes, two other favorites would be Michael (and Chris) Amott and Andy Timmons. Both just really expressive guitar players who speak so much with their melodies, and even though they do have insane solos and leads, don't forget the importance of the underlying rhythm and rest of the song as a whole and singular composition. Also, they both have probably some of my favorite tone, ever.

In terms of classical music, I really like Bach, Rachmaninoff, and Mozart. For the most part I love the Romantic-era composers (like Beethoven) rather than Golden, like Mozart (though he is my main exception). The reason for this being that in the latter, the meaning and emotion of the song was pretty much all based on what they perceived as the beauty of its form. They saw it as a structure, and from an almost purely technical standpoint. The rules were (of course) golden. However with the Romantic era, composers like Beethoven just threw them to the wind and (what seems perfectly rational to me) showed that the music's meaning and emotion should, obviously, be conveyed by the music itself as you hear it. Forget all of the rules and what you're supposed to do. Which is why a lot of the establishment scoffed at it. The Golden era was mostly music for musicians. Not that every composer from that era necessarily thought that way or made boring music, but still. Jean Sibelius is another great composer from near the end of the Romantic era.

And Baroque, I feel, kind of brought those two opposing ideas together. Bach and Vivaldi being two greats, and favorites of mine, from that time.

I-aint-readin-all-that-shit.jpg

Embedding disabled by request. :(

Homosexual :(

"Cannot enable embedding due to a content claim on this video"

Told you, Universal would fuck with me, It wasn't even up for 3 min.

They also put ads on it to buy the original song. wtf they got freaking snipers on this shit.