Guitar Player's Thread

hey guys, I have a question. This may sound silly but I don't know how else to phrase it. How, perhaps in theory terms, do you get that progressive solo sound. I don't know how to describe it but I can't seem to achieve it. I'm going for like, something petrucci like, or the melody starting in 1:20 of this video

The melodies they use seem to go against what i'm used to playing and they are somewhat unexpected and awesome sounding to me. How would you go about phrasing melodies to sound like that. There's something similar in all these pieces that I hear I just can't put my finger on it. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol.....you can't spell it out in "theory terms", it's called not shredding like a wanker....this is called real guitar. honestly. listen to any great guitar player like allan holdsworth, shawn lane, petrucci, vai, gambale, etc. etc. its about phrasing, groove, meshing etc. etc. with some added craziness not just "shred like a nigga!! durr hurr"

Last edited by a moderator:
no, i'm talking about theory yes, I can play slow and passonite but I am wonder what the progressions they use to get that sound.

modes, also mixing minor with major for unexpected tonality changes can sound cool if done right.

Also they modulate keys a lot but the proper way, I learned the "proper" way to modulate a few years ago in theory class but i have forgotten lol

It has something to do with using a pivot chord to trick your ear in between your original key and the new key that has overlapping notes and stuff, I'll have to find my notebook

yeah guitar playing makes it 'easier' to learn the theory stuff, that's another great fact about guitars.
simple things like harmonic minor are easily explained if you show it someone (who canalso play guitar :D )on the guitar. I mean, not just explain to them which note is different but why it is that way

yeah guitar playing makes it 'easier' to learn the theory stuff, that's another great fact about guitars.
simple things like harmonic minor are easily explained if you show it someone (who canalso play guitar :D )on the guitar. I mean, not just explain to them which note is different but why it is that way

I do know how to play the melodic minor scale on the guitar. But I don't know why the notes change when descending. I thought it was just 'cause some ancient classical music guy decided he wanted to make things difficult.

So instead you make it a minor scale? It still doesn't make sense, to me.

Furthermore, what's the deal with the way trumpets are in the key of b-flat or whatever? That shit makes nooooo sense to me. I've had people spend like hours trying to explain that shit. The music theory system needs a revamp. XP

music theory can blow me. i took a couple classes of that shit, and well....it helps in the moment, but if you wanna write music for a living, you seriously need to forget MOST of the stuff you learn in those classes.

Dont get me wrong. I mean i took some really good things from the courses, but in the end...couldn't they just put all the stuff you actually need into one shorter class??? ugh.