Guitar Player's Thread

I guess your right....its like every course (i took 4) had like....three key things that were littered among 100 bullshit tiny things.

Yeah, I hear ya. I took theory 1-4 in college. It was a long frustrating process, and I agree that a lot of the stuff isn't really applicable to writing music on guitar.

learning theory is more learning how to identify, break down, and explain in technical terms music that has already been written. Its a study of music.

I also took Aural Skills, which I found to be very useful because it helped me really zone in and fine tune my hearing of intervals and chords. So like if I come up with a melody in my head its easier to figure it out on guitar.

My favorite part of aural skills was we had a test where they played us like a 16 bar song with a left hand and right hand part on piano (so two things going on at once) and they told us what note it started on and we had to transcribe it all just with our ears and paper with no instruments to help lol

Time for your practical test

fuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Post pics of the pages in your notebook, as well as pics of your new Engl please.

just for you! lol
IMG_1139.jpg

So instead you make it a minor scale? It still doesn't make sense, to me.

Furthermore, what's the deal with the way trumpets are in the key of b-flat or whatever? That shit makes nooooo sense to me. I've had people spend like hours trying to explain that shit. The music theory system needs a revamp. XP

the Harmonic Minor and the Melodic Minor give the Minor scale a leading tone. When you go back down you don't need the leading tone anymore because well..you're going down.

hey,

just got a line6 toneport gx for christmas =)
Anyone here who has got presets and would like to help me getting started?
btw does anyone have the metal shop addon?

merry christmas, guys!

I really don't see the point of melodic minor, it just pisses me off. Why ascend with one set of notes, and descend with another new set??!??! When I use melodic minor, I use #6 and #7 ALWAYS, it sounds MUCH better. It's a very cool sounding scale when used instead of the harmonic minor.

short,dumb,easy: in harmonic minor
the 5th chord is a major seventh chord instead of a minor seventh chord.

So I have a question: The dominant major seventh is more leading. Leading to the root tonic (minor).

BUT the tonic could be a fifth lower or a fourth higher than the dominant (I'm not talking of inversions). So in the first case the chord goes downwards but you still use the leading tone.

Furthermore, what's the deal with the way trumpets are in the key of b-flat or whatever? That shit makes nooooo sense to me. I've had people spend like hours trying to explain that shit. The music theory system needs a revamp. XP

It's a "transposing instrument". When you play an "A" on a B-trumpet, it sounds like B flat, hence the music gets rewritten to fit the instrument. The problem comes when you get music written in A but have to play it on a B-instrument. Still, other trumpets exist too.

A guitar is a transposing instrument too. It's just you guys are lucky since it transposes an octave (up or down? don't remember) so you don't have to deal with actually transposing the music as you play.

I really don't see the point of melodic minor, it just pisses me off. Why ascend with one set of notes, and descend with another new set??!??! When I use melodic minor, I use #6 and #7 ALWAYS, it sounds MUCH better. It's a very cool sounding scale when used instead of the harmonic minor.

Then that's not melodic minor anymore :p

Melodic minor lets you use the mM7 chord, which is sort of a cool thing to use in classical music, and maybe jazz and stuff.

Yes they do work with a PC.
And I've never used the PX4, but I'm assuming there will be tiny differences seeing as both devices are made by different companies.