Guitar Player's Thread

yeah, that reminds me back a few years ago. I used to think shredding was gheyz0rz for a looong time, but I guess I was just hiding from myself that I sucked at it and used that as an excuse not to do it :lol:

7 string sweeps=epic win

|-------------------19-22-19-24-19
|----------------17------------------17
|------------16-------------------------16
|---------17-------------------------------17
|------19-------------------------------------19
|---19------------------------------------------19
|17------------------------------------------------17

:lol: i dont think its gay, just never listen to it anymore, doesn't really "come up" in my playing. Play mostly shit like Gojira nowadays. Which is good for me really, i neglected proper rythm techniques for the longest time because LOLALEXILAIHOSOLOS and other lead shit. I'll probably bounce back to it some day though

:lol: i dont think its gay, just never listen to it anymore, doesn't really "come up" in my playing. Play mostly shit like Gojira nowadays. Which is good for me really, i neglected proper rythm techniques for the longest time because LOLALEXILAIHOSOLOS and other lead shit. I'll probably bounce back to it some day though

Gojira=fucking win

^^i'm kind of hoping that shape is a joke :lol:

?

Would anyone be interested in some random sweep practice stuff? Most of it is hand written because I can't find my damn sheet!! But there are a few other bits that might come in handy, I have a huge folder full of the stuff.

It´d be awesome, if you would have time to upload some sweep stuff!
:)

wow, what a difference between the two routines, haha. And even though your routine for "normal" picking licks (alternate picking, economy picking, whatever you used for those licks you uploaded) was weak, it still seems to have payed off...I mean look at your playing now. So I guess it's just time and repetition that does it. I've been asking a few people what their practice routine was like, and every person has given me a different response. The only thing in common that they had was using good efficient technique and lots of time to allow the speed to build. Thanks for taking the time to write out that sweep routine :)

Yeah everyone practises differently, it's just finding a way that keeps you inerested and motivated.

Yeah, I don't know about techniques. It's like one day I didn't know how to do something, and then all of a sudden I somehow learned how to do it. I've been playing for quite a while, so I really can't remember how I learned what I know now. :lol:

Fair enough.

It´d be awesome, if you would have time to upload some sweep stuff!
:)

Can do later, yes.

With what note groupings?

I pretty much do every combination of sweeps I can think of and practice them across the fretboard and then try to slowly push my metronome like that. Then I also add taps and tapped slides and things such as that to them. Sweeps aren't that hard for me, I need to work on my alternate picking if anything. I've been stuck at the same bpm forever now, and I use all sorts of alternate picking exercises, such as the chromatic runs and some of the steve vai ten hour workout, and some of the michael angelo batio stuff as well, but... I'm still stuck at 150 bpm as my peak, WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?!?!:bah:

:erk:

pretty sure shawn lane didn't do that........

Actually that's true, I heard him say it on one of his videos on youtube actually. He would sometimes play a lick with the metronome and then try to play it at some really high speed and then go back and try it again and then it would be easier for him at the original speed.

I pretty much do every combination of sweeps I can think of and practice them across the fretboard and then try to slowly push my metronome like that. Then I also add taps and tapped slides and things such as that to them. Sweeps aren't that hard for me, I need to work on my alternate picking if anything. I've been stuck at the same bpm forever now, and I use all sorts of alternate picking exercises, such as the chromatic runs and some of the steve vai ten hour workout, and some of the michael angelo batio stuff as well, but... I'm still stuck at 150 bpm as my peak, WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?!?!:bah:

I think he meant if you're playing 150bpm in 8th triplets or 16th or whatever, lol

MY FINGERS ARE FROZEN STIFF I CANT FUCKING PLAY GUITAR FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Edit: Also i tried the most fucking awesome acoustic guitar ive ever laid hands on yesterday, but i can't remember the brand :( Taiko or Takio or something.. i think..

Anyways it was gorgeously made, with epic woods and inlays, the neck was flat and felt amazing, it played like a DREAM and the sound was HUGE and awesome

Buuut it's price tag was 7000 USD :lol:...

Oh, lol. Yes I put everything in 16th notes =P

Ah ok. I was going to say, if you said 16th triplets, I would have written "bullshit" in big capital letters with bold and underline! :p

There's a good exercise from a Rusty Cooley song called Under The Influence that's good for 16th sweeping.

E-12p8---------8-12p8--15p12--------12-15p12--
B------10---10----------------13---13-----------
G---------9----------------------12-------------

It goes Amin, up to C, down to G, back to Amin. Those extra two notes at the end of the first sweep give your picking hand time to relax before starting again. I think he plays that around 140-170 kinda speed, so try giving that a listen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweep Pickin' Practice:

Jason Becker - Serrana (The Real Way!):

There's not much involved with sweep picking...you learn the 3 major shapes, 3 minor shapes, 3 string and 5 string versions and then just play them ascending and descending until you can play them all cleanly, 16th triplets at 140bpm...that's it!!

My old sweep practice routine:

- Clean tone x 30ish
- Clean tone, reverse pattern x 30
- Clean tone, minor version, x 30
- Clean tone, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, reverse pattern, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, reverse pattern, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string version, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string version, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string pattern, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string, minor, reverse, x 30

Then I'd do all that again with distortion, all at 40bpm, 2/3 times a day, for a an entire WEEK.