Guitar Player's Thread

There's not much involved with sweep picking...you learn the 3 major shapes, 3 minor shapes, 3 string and 5 string versions and then just play them ascending and descending until you can play them all cleanly, 16th triplets at 140bpm...that's it!!

then if you got balls, you try the 3 diminished shapes, and I'm not talking about diminished 7s.

here they are, keep in mind they are Diminished sweeps, not Diminished7.

13-10---------------------------10-
------12---------------------12----
---------10---------------10-------
------------12---------12----------
---------------14-8-14-------------
-----------------------------------

This one has a bit of a stretch on the bottom, so it can be a pain in the ass if you're doing it on a 7 with a fat scale or lower frets.

13-10-------------------------10-
------9---------------------9----
--------10---------------10------
-----------12---------12---------
--------------11-8-11------------
---------------------------------

this one is just kind of weird to get used to, but it works.

16-10----------------------------10-
------12----------------------12----
---------13----------------13-------
------------12----------12----------
---------------14-11-14-------------
------------------------------------

This one has a bit of a big stretch on the top, the rest of it isn't so bad.

here they are, keep in mind they are Diminished sweeps, not Diminished7.

13-10---------------------------10-
------12---------------------12----
---------10---------------10-------
------------12---------12----------
---------------14-8-14-------------
-----------------------------------

This one has a bit of a stretch on the bottom, so it can be a pain in the ass if you're doing it on a 7 with a fat scale or lower frets.

13-10-------------------------10-
------9---------------------9----
--------10---------------10------
-----------12---------12---------
--------------11-8-11------------
---------------------------------

this one is just kind of weird to get used to, but it works.

16-10----------------------------10-
------12----------------------12----
---------13----------------13-------
------------12----------12----------
---------------14-11-14-------------
------------------------------------

This one has a bit of a big stretch on the top, the rest of it isn't so bad.

Eww! They're just unpractical and nasty sounding! The last one isn't so bad to play but I do prefer the dim7ths.

When I'm playing over Dom7th chords, I like to throw these in:

E-16-12---------------12-19-16--------------16-22-19--------
B-------15----------15---------17---------17----------21-----
G----------16-13-16--------------19-16-19---------------21--

Well I'd be pretty pissed off if I tried learning one of your solos and it was full of them shapes!!!! :lol: You'd have me totally pwn'd.

Ah ok. I was going to say, if you said 16th triplets, I would have written "bullshit" in big capital letters with bold and underline! :p

There's a good exercise from a Rusty Cooley song called Under The Influence that's good for 16th sweeping.

E-12p8---------8-12p8--15p12--------12-15p12--
B------10---10----------------13---13-----------
G---------9----------------------12-------------

It goes Amin, up to C, down to G, back to Amin. Those extra two notes at the end of the first sweep give your picking hand time to relax before starting again. I think he plays that around 140-170 kinda speed, so try giving that a listen?

It's not so much sweeping I have trouble with as my strict alternate picking runs. For awhile I was able to do my sweeps faster than my alternate picking, which may still be the case, but I want to balance out both. Not to sound like another cliche' fan boy, but I love the way alexi picks every note in alot of his solos instead of relying heavily on legato. I could use some lessons or licks to practice to get that up to speed, because I've been stuck at around 130-150 bpm with 16th notes. At 150 it gets a little messy unless I'm very familiar with what I'm playing.

I don't have a camera at the moment, but I can give you a breakdown of my technique, things used, and hand posture if that helps.

My fret hand seems to be faster than my picking hand. I can alternate pick really fast but not so much as playing an actual lick without a whole lot of mindless fretting. I use Jazz III picks, they're all that feels comfortable to me now really. When I play I usually keep my hand anchored somewhat on the bridge, but as I ascend across the strings I move my hand down them as well giving a slight palm mute to some of my notes so they don't keep ringing after I have picked them. I try to keep my alternate picking strict, but because of the amount of time I have known how to sweep, I often incorporate some picking economy in to get the most out of my movement. I don't know where I'm going wrong really. I practice along with a metronome and I'm not really seeing an improvement, and I've been stuck at the same tempo for quite some time. I usually play each lick clean, and with gain to make sure I'm doing it as accurate as possible with no buzz. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've heard Bugera amps are amazing for the price.

yeah they really are. I think a lot of the reason they are so cheap is cause they are so unknown and new. It sounds so sweet through my friends Avatar loaded with V 30s

yeah they really are. I think a lot of the reason they are so cheap is cause they are so unknown and new. It sounds so sweet through my friends Avatar loaded with V 30s

What are the cleans like? Most amps have good overdrive but cleans really vary, although I've yet to test them seeing as the cheapass stores near me don't stock any, I've watched a metric fuckton of vids about the Mesa Mark series and the ENGL Powerball and from what I heard the ENGL's cleans were superior, it's cheaper and it's marketed as a metal amp! Even in lower price ranges it happens, I showed my Line6 Spider-loving friend a the awesomeness of a (relatively inexpensive) Orange amp to shut him up :lol:

I almost bought the same amp, but decided against it after reading some reviews. I've heard it sounds good, but the reason it is so cheap is it was made with cheap parts, and alot of the people that have reviewed it have had stuff break on them, or gotten a lemon and had to have it repaired many times =/

Honestly, a 6505 goes for about the same price as one of those now days. Even my old Vox hybrid amp was about as cheap and it had amazing tone. Good luck finding one now though, they stopped making them for some reason =(

I almost bought the same amp, but decided against it after reading some reviews. I've heard it sounds good, but the reason it is so cheap is it was made with cheap parts, and alot of the people that have reviewed it have had stuff break on them, or gotten a lemon and had to have it repaired many times =/

Honestly, a 6505 goes for about the same price as one of those now days. Even my old Vox hybrid amp was about as cheap and it had amazing tone. Good luck finding one now though, they stopped making them for some reason =(

What amp you using now?

What amp you using now?

lol, a little peavey 10-watt backstage amp that I bought years ago. I sold my Vox about two months ago. I should be starting work here soon, but I thought that months ago =/

Regardless, as soon as I start, the first thing I'm buying is either a Randall Ninja V2, or a JVM. I'm not sure, there are a few amps that have my eye really, but those are the 2 that interest me the most at the moment. It will most likely be the Ninja though... All 400 watts of rape included. =]

I want to get a real amp but I'd only be able to play in the garage, which is cold. And would trap me inside if someone remotely shut the door.