Guitar Player's Thread

LEGATO:

Laiho Licks:

wow, thank you for doing this Mitch! Just out of curiosity, what approach did you take to practicing these back in your practicing days? Like did you did you do 60-80bpm on Monday, then 70-90bpm on Tuesday, etc? And when you hit a wall (say you couldn't surpass 120bpm) what did you do then? Go back down to 60 and start over?

wow, thank you for doing this Mitch! Just out of curiosity, what approach did you take to practicing these back in your practicing days? Like did you did you do 60-80bpm on Monday, then 70-90bpm on Tuesday, etc? And when you hit a wall (say you couldn't surpass 120bpm) what did you do then? Go back down to 60 and start over?

It was more of a weaker approach...

I would start at 60 and go up until I couldn't go any further and then move onto the next lick all in the space of like, an hour. I hated practising, so I kinda just got on with it, got it over and done with and came back to it a week later or so...definitely not the most strict routine!

That's what I did last night too, started at 60 on every lick, hit a top speed and moved on. I don't feel that I'd improve that way, which is why I need to start doing it seriously.

But my sweep picking routine, woah...

Say for example, I was practising this lick:

E-15p12-------12--
B-------13--13----
G---------12------

I would do:

- Clean tone x 30ish
- Clean tone, reverse pattern x 30
- Clean tone, minor version, x 30
- Clean tone, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, reverse pattern, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, reverse pattern, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string version, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string version, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string pattern, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string, minor, reverse, x 30

Then I'd do all that again with distortion, all at 40bpm, 2/3 times a day, for a an entire WEEK.

The next week would be 50, and 60 the next...I did it over the summer holidays, so in six weeks, I went from 40 to 90. Wow, what an improvement!!

The first two weeks are so boring, but they are the most important, because they are the backbone behind your whole technique. If you rush that, nothing above 70 is going to be clean.

Man, I never really had a practice routine like that when it came to sweeps. Usually would just improvise sweeps over some random backing tracks for a long ass time until my fingers are completely out of fuel. I would get improvements though that I would really notice. Also, I really HATE doing the same shapes all the time, I always have to add new ones like the more jazzy add9, augmenteds, and things like that.

I used to do that too, but I had to get the technique down first. This was back when I didn't have a first grasp on the technique, and it wasn't totally smooth.

E---------------------------------------------10h14/17p14------14--
B--------------10-15p10--------------------10------------15--15---
G-----------11----------11---------------11----------------14-----
D--------12---------------12-----------12--------------------------
A---9h12--------------------12p9----12----------------------------
E-10----------------------------------------------------------------

I play the first three notes like this, though:

A-------12--
E-10h14----

Or you could even play it in 5th position, if you wanted to, using the third shape you wrote.

For your second shape, that's the way I play it, but Yngwie & Jason would play it:

E-------------14-19p14---------------
B-----------15---------15-------------
G---------16-------------16-----------
D---12h16------------------16p12-----
A-14------------------------------14--
E-------------------------------------

And your third shape is my favourite!! :lol: My mate never used to be able to do that either, but I've always found it the easiest...

If you want an alternative, try...

E---------------------------------
B-------------15-20p15-----------
G-----------16---------16---------
D---------17-------------17-------
A-------17-----------------17-----
E-15h19----------------------19---

And I don't have GP on this laptop, so can't open any GP files at all!!

These 3 shapes are pretty easy for me, but I'm still stuck at around 135-150 bpm like i have been forever o_O

ive always practiced the shawn lane way altought i heard that advice recently, practising the lick really faster than you can but sloppy and start cleaning it up instead of gradually increasing speed

It was more of a weaker approach...

I would start at 60 and go up until I couldn't go any further and then move onto the next lick all in the space of like, an hour. I hated practising, so I kinda just got on with it, got it over and done with and came back to it a week later or so...definitely not the most strict routine!

That's what I did last night too, started at 60 on every lick, hit a top speed and moved on. I don't feel that I'd improve that way, which is why I need to start doing it seriously.

But my sweep picking routine, woah...

Say for example, I was practising this lick:

E-15p12-------12--
B-------13--13----
G---------12------

I would do:

- Clean tone x 30ish
- Clean tone, reverse pattern x 30
- Clean tone, minor version, x 30
- Clean tone, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, reverse pattern, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, reverse pattern, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string version, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, original shape, 5 string, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string version, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, next inversion, 5 string, minor, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string pattern, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string, reverse, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string, minor, x 30
- Clean tone, third inversion, 5 string, minor, reverse, x 30

Then I'd do all that again with distortion, all at 40bpm, 2/3 times a day, for a an entire WEEK.

The next week would be 50, and 60 the next...I did it over the summer holidays, so in six weeks, I went from 40 to 90. Wow, what an improvement!!

The first two weeks are so boring, but they are the most important, because they are the backbone behind your whole technique. If you rush that, nothing above 70 is going to be clean.

wow, what a difference between the two routines, haha. And even though your routine for "normal" picking licks (alternate picking, economy picking, whatever you used for those licks you uploaded) was weak, it still seems to have payed off...I mean look at your playing now. So I guess it's just time and repetition that does it. I've been asking a few people what their practice routine was like, and every person has given me a different response. The only thing in common that they had was using good efficient technique and lots of time to allow the speed to build. Thanks for taking the time to write out that sweep routine :)

I used to do that too, but I had to get the technique down first. This was back when I didn't have a first grasp on the technique, and it wasn't totally smooth.

Yeah, I don't know about techniques. It's like one day I didn't know how to do something, and then all of a sudden I somehow learned how to do it. I've been playing for quite a while, so I really can't remember how I learned what I know now. :lol:

so yeah, my band recently decided to tune down to drop B for a couple songs. i bought some new guitar strings and ended up with 60-13 gauge and wow. In the best way these things are sick. BUT thats not my point we tweaked the tuning, the tuning is B-Gb-B-D-Gb-B, and it sounds reallly fuckin badass.