Guitar Player's Thread

Haha, both very good points.

I really am sick of EMGs. And I definitely need to learn more about mixing/producing.

And I definitely need to learn more about mixing/producing.

This and you should try out working with dynamics and eqs. Best way to get your best sound is trying them out yourself and not just using presets.

fuuuck, im learning the solo on everytime i die now :D
its so hard D:
how should i learn the solo?
play it slowly at first then slowly build up the speed? (i know this is obvious, but im hoping some people can give me some tips)
pleasee help mee!!

fuuuck, im learning the solo on everytime i die now :D
its so hard D:
how should i learn the solo?
play it slowly at first then slowly build up the speed? (i know this is obvious, but im hoping some people can give me some tips)
pleasee help mee!!

i played that live last saturday!!!
i guess build up the speed, even though its a slow solo id say, but for the last, fast, part, iguess start with an up pick helps A LOT and its easier if u do a zakk wylde thing 20-17 20- 17e 20-17b in the beginning of it. also for the whammy part id rather bend the 15 fret e string and release to the 12 fret as opposed to doing the harmonic. working with alternate in the parts that u can sweep helps too imo and i think HE does alternate.

This and you should try out working with dynamics and eqs. Best way to get your best sound is trying them out yourself and not just using presets.

Yeah, you're completely right. I just wish I knew more about the whole EQing process when I'm looking at the Visual EQ thing. I guess I can just fiddle around with it, raising/lowering certain frequencies and seeing what sounds good to me and what doesn't.

My biggest problem, as I've probably mentioned before, is there not being enough note definition when playing faster riffs on the lower strings and sometimes chords. Obviously that has at least partially to do with one's own hands, but I'm trying to figure out what else could be effecting that.

i played that live last saturday!!!
i guess build up the speed, even though its a slow solo id say, but for the last, fast, part, iguess start with an up pick helps A LOT and its easier if u do a zakk wylde thing 20-17 20- 17e 20-17b in the beginning of it. also for the whammy part id rather bend the 15 fret e string and release to the 12 fret as opposed to doing the harmonic. working with alternate in the parts that u can sweep helps too imo and i think HE does alternate.

oh mad, have you got any videos of yourself doing covers on youtube? i'd like to see them if you do :)
theres two halfs to the solo (imo), theres the slow bit, then theres that fast bit.
i can do the slow bit but that fast bit is just killing me.
and thanks, ill try starting with up pick's :)
thanks heaps dude.

Yeah, you're completely right. I just wish I knew more about the whole EQing process when I'm looking at the Visual EQ thing. I guess I can just fiddle around with it, raising/lowering certain frequencies and seeing what sounds good to me and what doesn't.

My biggest problem, as I've probably mentioned before, is there not being enough note definition when playing faster riffs on the lower strings and sometimes chords. Obviously that has at least partially to do with one's own hands, but I'm trying to figure out what else could be effecting that.

technique, pickups, strings, amps, mics, mic technique, blah blah

but just remove some 100hz :lol:

Did anyone of you guys tried to arrange your trem springs this way?
(like alexi does it I think...)
blacky_up.jpg

I'm just curious what advantage it has and what kind of springs (strenght) you need to adjust them this way because I just would like to try it.
My guitar is in D standard (11-50)

elaborate plz

Graphic eq's make "little cuts" into the sound, meaning the bandwidth (Q) and the center frequencies are determined, and only the amplitude can be changed.

equalizer.gif

Parametric eq's have the ability to select a center frenquency yourself, set the bandwidth of your 'cut' yourself and set the amplitude like you'd do with a graphic eq.

Parametrics can scoop out certain "painful-to-hear" frequencies too, something a graphic eq can't do near as well as a parametric.

Most parametrics also have the option for (changeable) high and lowpass filters.

equalization-f5.gif

Did anyone of you guys tried to arrange your trem springs this way?
(like alexi does it I think...)
blacky_up.jpg

I'm just curious what advantage it has and what kind of springs (strenght) you need to adjust them this way because I just would like to try it.
My guitar is in D standard (11-50)

lolo this again. It's been repeatedly stated that this( ||\ ) setup gives more "strength" to the lower strings, so they'll be more consistent if you do dives and in general vary the pitch using the FR, i.e a power chord should stay "in tune" longer during dives, than they normally would.

However, i have had this setup, and a normal setup ( /|\ ) for years, and I'm yet to pinpoint an actual noticeable difference

I think its all in the head of some people, but whatever floats their boat. It's like a lucky charm, i guess.

One question:
My guitar teacher always tells me to pay attention to the alternative picking but when i have to play licks like this:

E-----------12-14-15-
B-12-14-15----------
i pick the notes in this way: down,up,down,down,up,down

In general i tend to avoid the alternative picking when i'm going downward the strings and only when my last one picking before skipping to the next string is Down...actually i only fail the first note cause then i start with the alternative picking again,as you can see from my example...
Using the alternative picking correctly,I have to play it very very slow,so i'd like to know if it's relevant or not learing to pick that things in the correct way...

@delanoir: i know what you're sayng...but i'm studying major scales and i've learnt to play some good licks at a pretty good speed.If i have to re-learn all i've studied since now with the alternative picking,it would take so long time...time that i would spend learning new stuff and to reach a higher speed...

Use a high pass filter, the guitar is not a bass instrument, so you cut the frequencies you don't need.

And parametric eq's are far superior to graphic eq's

Ah, ok. I think I understand what you're saying now. And how to do it with a parametric EQ rather than Graphic, which I can see is better. Or at least easier for me to work.

ohh dw, i already knew those things, there pretty helpful :)
thanks, ill keep practicing at those!!
anything else i can do to increase speed and hand-eye co-ordination??

Ok, Wildchild Number 2. Increasing speed (and playing accurately) isn't about learning specifically how to play fast. And it's especially not about hand-eye coordination (you shouldn't ever have to rely on looking at what your hands are doing). As great players have said here many times before, it's about building up the muscle memory and way of playing it CORRECTLY at a slow speed first, and working up from there.

But you already knew that, right Pro Shredder?

One question:
My guitar teacher always tells me to pay attention to the alternative picking but when i have to play licks like this:

E-----------12-14-15-
B-12-14-15----------
i pick the notes in this way: down,up,down,down,up,down

In general i tend to avoid the alternative picking when i'm going downward the strings and only when my last one picking before skipping to the next string is Down...actually i only fail the first note cause then i start with the alternative picking again,as you can see from my example...
Using the alternative picking correctly,I have to play it very very slow,so i'd like to know if it's relevant or not learing to pick that things in the correct way...

That would be economy picking. Which is very useful. But you should master alternate picking first or you can develop bad habits that will hold you back later.