Guitar Player's Thread

Who said I don't know how to down pick?

8celebsw05.jpg

Gary Holt? are you kidding me? Do you even know what's a guitar chop?

Yes I know what a guitar chop is. Gary Holt is sure pretty boring as far as solos are concerned and is no Loomis shreder, but he's a damn tight player as far as tight playing is concerned, and quite some of Exodus' riffs aren't that easy to play when downpicking them as he does. Of course they turn into almost nothing when alt picking, but don't sound half as awesome.

It's like, for Nevermore Psalm Of Lydia's intro, try to alternate the strokes and pick the chords picking up, then go and tell me it sounds the same as downpicking all. It's an extreme example, but serves. Ofc there's no point in downpicking the intro to e.g. Silent Night Bodom Night (also, betcha you can't find someone who can downpick that :lol:), but some riffs certainly call for downpicking. Another one that comes to my mind is Lamb Of God Set To Fail's intro riff: if you tell me that sounds the same downpicked and alt-picked (no mater if you like the riff or not, just the sound) then I must conclude that you're deaf.

It took me a while to alternate pick well, that's how it should be though. I like to use up strokes whenever possible, because up strokes in and of themselves, are alternate picking practice if you could also use a down stroke in that spot. (i hope that makes since, thats just my thinking about it)

fuck i snapped my low e string during a live perfomance!!! that sucked!!!
any tips on adjusting the springs? ive never done that n i wanna learn how to do it,,

i'm the only one who has problems in doing pinch harmonics in 5th and 6th strings?

so basically i cant decide what to buy, ive ended liking this two babies to death
edwards al 128 sawtooth (1600 usd)
ibanez rg 770 dx blue (1300 usd)

So basically why don't you just try both and make your decision based on your own feelings? Instead of asking stupid fucking questions all the fucking time.

so basically i cant decide what to buy, ive ended liking this two babies to death
edwards al 128 sawtooth (1600 usd)
ibanez rg 770 dx blue (1300 usd)

The RG is from the Prestige series (=win), has DiMarzio pickups and won't make you look like a fanboy on stage. (It does make a difference, generally people who use other artist' signature series guitars look like wankers)

The RG is from the Prestige series (=win), has DiMarzio pickups and won't make you look like a fanboy on stage. (It does make a difference, generally people who use other artist' signature series guitars look like wankers)

this is true, whenever i'm at a gig and i see a LOLALEXIFANBOY LTD600 or similar head on stage, my first thought is: "Well this is just going to be a parade of gay", and I've been right so far, looks faggy.
Two guys in super-dimebag costumes(they werent actually costumes, but they had the hair and the guitars and the fucking hardcore shorts crap), they were good guitarists but i had trouble hearing how their songs were over the massive symphony of "YOU GUYS LOOK FUCKING GAY" that was playing inside my bloody skull

this is true, whenever i'm at a gig and i see a LOLALEXIFANBOY LTD600 or similar head on stage, my first thought is: "Well this is just going to be a parade of gay", and I've been right so far, looks faggy.
Two guys in super-dimebag costumes(they werent actually costumes, but they had the hair and the guitars and the fucking hardcore shorts crap), they were good guitarists but i had trouble hearing how their songs were over the massive symphony of "YOU GUYS LOOK FUCKING GAY" that was playing inside my bloody skull

:lol::lol:!!! that was fun, but the fanboi thing doesnt really count in my town cuz nobody has a guitar worth more than 2000 usd here so everybodys got fucking crappy 300 usd guitars, even real bands doing good in the underground scene have that kind of shit, plus cob are hardly known here among metalheads, cuz theyre stuck with maiden and metallica and megadeth..