Guitar Player's Thread

are licensed floyd rose tremolo's good?
some people say that stay in tune very well after doing multiple dive bombs and others say they dont..
ughhh, school now ):

Depends, they're all different. Some are somewhat consistent in terms of tiers though, e.g. Jackson and ESP licensed Floyds, whilst (sometimes) adequate, are usually not particularly good over time, Schaller licensed Floyds are brilliant, due to Schaller themselves making the best quality OFRs. And of course there are Ibanez Edge tremolos which are pretty much in a class of their own, really stable. I'd go so far as to say that the Edge PRO is superior to the original Floyd.

That's a really good answer, but I just wanted to add to what TheKid said in case you (wildchildnumber2) aren't clear on what Licenced Floyd Rose Trems are:

Okay so Floyd Rose has a copyright/patent/whatever you will on their Floyd Rose Original tremolo design.

Say Guitar Company X wants to put trems in their guitars but don't want to spend the extra money buying actual parts from floyd rose (keeping the cost of making the guitar down, maybe its a lower end guitar, maybe not)

So Floyd Rose licenses their Design to company X for a fee.
So company X will make their OWN tremolos in their OWN factory just using the patented Floyd Rose design that they pay a fee for.

Okay so what that means, is that Licensed Floyd Roses can vary in materials, build quality, ect. from company to company, because the company themselves decided those factors, not Floyd Rose.

So company X could decide to use the design and make a very HIGH quality Licensed Floyd Rose that may be superior to the actual Floyd Rose Orignal

Whereas company Z could make a Floyd rose that's complete garbage.

^ What kind of guitar do you own?
Also, do you have any blues lick that are simple but still pretty impressive sounding?

me?
I have more than one guitar but the guitar I mentioned (and i guess you were asking for) is this one
img006.jpg
Perfect for metal or heavy stuff but I like my sound dirty and without high gain (i rather use a good fuzz) and I would never ever use that guitar on a record or live(except for the vibrato system which is as I already said pretty neat) because it feels not as good as my old Fender and it sounds not that good for my style.
But if you're intro Metal this is definitely an awesome guitar.

And about the licks.. well I dont know what sounds impressive to you guys as you're all shredding guitar players :lol: If I have the time I can tab some of the standard licks I play when I jam.

^ Standard licks would be good.
I'm playing in my school jazz band and I just want simple phrases to improvise over the open solo section.
Thanks.

No Problem, I will see if I find some time today :D
But I guess it will be nothing special because even fooling around with the pentatonic and adding the *blue note* here and there can sound pretty bluesy :lol:

indeed it is. really great 7 for the price! i am really happy with it.

My friend tried to sell his RG7321 to me for 200€ last summer :p I didn't buy it because
a) It had some minor problems and I wasn't interested to fix it
b) I didn't have any extra money
And now I'm kinda pissed because he isn't selling it anymore.

Yep, and also the fact that you wouldn't do it yourself????? I've had no training with either but I can still install pickups and electronics if I have a wiring diagram and all the right wires.

I'm trying to decide the next guitar I want to buy ahhh.

I have it narrowed to to 4 guitars which are so similar its hard for me to figure it out. I'm sure it's easy to see, but I want a white guitar and I'm digging X/V shapes with neckthru 24 frets and tremolo :lol: So basically this is the upper-mid priced guitar that I want to hold up well if I ever do any touring in my life, and just can take some abuse and keep kicking

Its between

583577.jpg

rl-600.jpg

alexi-scythe.jpg

jackson_RR24snwht.jpg

I'm leaning towards the xiphos, It is the best priced, pretty original shape, has neck pickup, good stock dimarzios, and I think it looks pretty wicked. The only concerns is the Edge III bridge which I would want to replace with a floyd....and after cost of that It would pretty much put this guitar in the same price range as the others

Roope: Sick shape, like the simpleness of it. It is actually going $100 cheaper than the AL-600 now which is cool.

Alexi...yeah inner fanboy in me always wanting one. But as I recall, there was also a time years ago where I really wanted a Zakk Wylde Epi les paul.....glad I didnt go down that route, maybe that's a good lesson to scratch this one out.

I like the fact the the new AL-600's and roope's have unfinished necks

RR24: Liked it and play them all the time at my local store, but I think they are a little pricey for what you get. Didn't really blow me away. Being used to playing a higher quality Jackson for so long, I am probably biased. Love that compound radius though!

I'm not asking to poll what I should get, but just wondering what you dudes think.

For me, I'd might be leaning towards the Xiphos. And I'm not even a huge Ibanez fan (ESP is probably my favorite, in general).

I like the Roope more than the Alexi, but (as arbitrary as it may be for other people) I don't like the fact that the Roope has no binding on the body. The Xiphos doesn't need it as much, visually, because of the bevels.

But anyway, as far as sounds go, the Roope would probably sound exactly the same as the Alexi. Given that they use the same woods, come with the same pickup, both have floyds, have the same scale, both only use a bridge pickup, and are made in the same place. Which means it only depends on which one you like more in terms of looks.

I used to have an RR24, and it was a really good guitar, but I would probably take one of these other 3 over it.

Getting back to the Xiphos, I feel that it might be a better choice than the LTD's because even if you use the bridge pickup most of the time (I'm guessing), it never hurts to have that option for something different with the neck.

So yeah, for me it would be between the Xiphos and which LTD you like the looks of more. Since they're harder to find, here's some videos of the Roope in action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried the xiphos yet? cause I had one and i really like the shape but Standing up it felt Really uncomfortable for me and and if i would raise the guitar up and be a nipple rider it still felt awkward for me but thats just me and also the bridge does kind of suck cause the bar doesn't screw in it just pops out so i had it pop out on me a bunch of times but really thats just my opinion maybe my xiphos just sucked =/

I've tried the hard tail version of it in ugly rust brown :lol:

and yeah, I think all of these guitars are going to be "neck divers" but I have been dealing with that problem with my iceman for years and I'm quite used to playing with my forearm rested on the wing area.

I fixed the neck diving problem in my RL-600 by drilling and screwing an extra strap button to the back (to its original place). Doesn't basically dive at all now.

Don't know why they have the strap button in different places in the original custom shop and the 600 ones?

My Alexi Sig doesn't dive maybe its cause i have the ESP version idk if the Ltd strap button is in a different place But idk its whatever feels right for you i personally didn't llike the xiphos Id rather save up more and got a paul gilbert sig