Guitar Player's Thread

are licensed floyd rose tremolo's good?
some people say that stay in tune very well after doing multiple dive bombs and others say they dont..
ughhh, school now ):

Depends, they're all different. Some are somewhat consistent in terms of tiers though, e.g. Jackson and ESP licensed Floyds, whilst (sometimes) adequate, are usually not particularly good over time, Schaller licensed Floyds are brilliant, due to Schaller themselves making the best quality OFRs. And of course there are Ibanez Edge tremolos which are pretty much in a class of their own, really stable. I'd go so far as to say that the Edge PRO is superior to the original Floyd.

Does anyone happen to have tabs for Ascendant by Keep of Kalessin?

Seconded.

yeah, it's just going to be for mucking around anyway. I have a ways to go before buying any serious equipment for my real tone. I need it for jamming at my friend's house cuz he has a PA speaker thing that we use as the amp for the guitars, and when playing thru the Metal Zone pedal, it doesn't sound half bad. Oh and he has a 100watt guitar research amp, but the distortion channel on that is pretty crap. So this cheap pedal should suffice for such use.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

It's times like these I am happy I got some decent gear. Seriously, If the metal zone in a PA system does it for you I don't see how the Behringer can be that much worse :p All behringer pedals have souunded shitty and plastic and been built of plastic that ive heard or seen.

In general I think it's like muffin said. Distortion pedals are all a gimmick.

the distortion pedal alone doesn't sound better than amps, that is true, but if you have a pedalboard with other pedals, i think it can sound pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's times like these I am happy I got some decent gear. Seriously, If the metal zone in a PA system does it for you I don't see how the Behringer can be that much worse :p All behringer pedals have souunded shitty and plastic and been built of plastic that ive heard or seen.

In general I think it's like muffin said. Distortion pedals are all a gimmick.

I also agree with what he said. If/when you buy the amp you've always wanted, there's absolutely need to for these craptastic distortion pedals. But for the purposes of just playing loud and messing around with other musicians, I think it's fine. It's not like we're recording anything.

@Vikk: what language is that? sounds like a mix of Russian and Spanish.

yeah it's Portuguese, and for anyone who doesn't know this guy, he's pretty badass, he got to jam with Paul Gilbert couple years ago, and he won the Guitar Idol 08

2:30 +, gets more interesting

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, to be honest, I have a fucking retarded question about a Nile song called "Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water". This is for people who can play the song. So, where are you playing 2nd bar of the song; 1st or 2nd example.
It's ex 1

while dallas plays

Code:
B-------------------------||-----------------------|---------------------
F#------------------------||-----------------------|---------------------
D-------------------------||---8-7-5---------------|---------------------
A-------------------------||---------9-6-5-6-9-6-5-|---------------------
E-5-6-5---8-9-8---5-6-5---||-----------------------|-9-6-5---------------
A-5-6-5---8-9-8---5-6-5---||-----------------------|-------9-6-5-6-9-6-5-

and so on

@Wildchildnumber2: would be easier for you to tell us which licensed trem you want to know about. Meanwhile, I'll try to break down to you my opinion/experience/research on trems.

As far as Jackson is concerned, their licensed tremolos are the worst amongst all the "big brands" (Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, BC Rich, ... [I have not mentioned Fender nor Gibson because of the massive lack of floating bridges in their catalogues, don't jump on me for that]). Notable exception to be made with the one on the RR24s (not sure if other models share it) which is buit to the specs of the OFR but in Korea. It's no OFR but works damn well and keeps tuning stability great.

ESP's I don't know but they seem to make pretty decent ones.

As far as Ibanez, Edge IIIs are love it or hate it. E.g. IIRC Swabs here hates them, but other people like me or Nick like them and find them awesome for the price. High end Edges (Edge Pro) are neat. Still don't keep tuning as stable as the OFR I think, but maybe yes and I did a bad setup. Nonetheless, the tuning stability of those is great. And with the Zero bridges, tuning stability is just perfect with their system, only downside beeing the actual tremolo action. Maybe it's me, but I don't really like the arm on those, feels quite loose always.

Depends, they're all different. Some are somewhat consistent in terms of tiers though, e.g. Jackson and ESP licensed Floyds, whilst (sometimes) adequate, are usually not particularly good over time, Schaller licensed Floyds are brilliant, due to Schaller themselves making the best quality OFRs. And of course there are Ibanez Edge tremolos which are pretty much in a class of their own, really stable. I'd go so far as to say that the Edge PRO is superior to the original Floyd.

:lol: now the guy with the fixed bridge nows all about floating tremolos!

"due to Schaller themselves making the best quality OFRs", "I'd go so far as to say that the Edge PRO is superior to the original Floyd": get your head out of your ass! You've owned none (no, trying in a store for 20 minutes is not creditable) yet you talk like you had played all for years. Nothing takes over a real OFR. If you like lower profile trems then you may prefer Ibanez Edges (Edge Pro), but as far as tuning stability, built, working and overall performance an OFR is hands down king on floating trems.

Oh yeah, or you clicked the youtube link and saw comments about portugese and the "www.Landscapeaudio.com.br" link in the description field :p

Actually, it's just because I lived in Brazil for 2 years. But that would have worked too. :p

What about the '' LoPro Edge '' or is this the Edge Pro? I own one and I'm pretty fine with it.

I am not all sure, but I think all Ibanez trems are low-profile (they don't have the bulky fine tuners OFR has), but judging by the guitar you have you may aswell have the Edge Pro one. Didn't you have a somehow mid-high end Ibanez with one pickup and a quite neat design (black mat body and no fret inlays?)?