Guitar Player's Thread

anyone here have the Behringer UM300 pedal? would you recommend it?

I found this vid on jootube demonstrating it's tone. sounds perty good
[youtube]3ZWzT7SCp98&feature=related[/youtube]

I thought it sounded shitty :lol: But it's Behringer so what do you expect :p
Serioulsy, try it out, because they could have changed the sound by eqing or using dynamics and you dont know what amp they were using and which guitar.. all I want to say is that I dont think that you will be satisfied with the sound :D

''@kamal77777 showing settings is a kind of non-sens. There's to many other things than that one unit wich create whole sound you hear. You put this thing to your amp, set my settings and will be disappointed that id doesn't sound the same. Next thing - it even doesn't sound the same as what I heard directly from the cab ;)''
Mic and or the already mentioned eqs or dynamics coloured the sound and he says it himself.
Though imo the sound which you can hear in that *video* is fucking awful.

Hence my disclaimer.

Sklar has a degree in acting and does professional stage combat during the summers. He's a certified instructor in unarmed combat, rapier/dagger, broadsword, short-sword, quarterstaff and others.

Yeah but does he have a degree in pistol handling? Does he know how many deadly accidents happen every year because of LACK OF TRIGGER DISCIPLINE. That barrel went all over the place and it seemed like his trigger finger stayed on the trigger all the time, accident waiting to happen. One could argue that the trigger pull on a double action revolver is harder than on a semi-automatic, but that's no excuse to not exercise proper firearms safety(which should be done in any and all situations, from at a range, to an unloaded weapon, and to a self-defense situation, there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE, even actors should know this, too many have died because of shit like this).

Especially critical in the rolling, i counted at least two times where the barrel was clearly pointed towards the house/people/general area of the camera with his finger on the trigger. One thing is that he could've seriously injured or killed himself or one of you guys, but i'm much more annoyed at the general lack of respect for the firearm(which btw is not a toy, its never a toy, never ever EVER point a firearm towards a person, whether its loaded, on safety, or unloaded, never point it at something you are not ready to kill/destroy, and do not have your finger on the trigger unless you are just about to shoot).

And to those of you who have read this far and are about to go "but lol Muffin you're overreacting its just fun he knows what he's doing they're far away from people"

NO. Fuck you. Seriously just fuck anyone who handles a firearm like a toy and thinks its ok, you're the reason firearm control exists, you're the reason hundreds if not thousands of people die every god damned year, and while i may have overreacted at other insignificant things on this forum, either for lulz or for actual blind rage, i'm not backing down on this one. Never EVER treat a firearm like a toy, EVER, its a lack of respect for life for yourself and others and should not be tolerated in any form or shape.

ALWAYS exercise EXTREME caution around firearms, ALWAYS treat a firearm as if it's loaded, ALWAYS check a firearm if it's loaded or not when you receive it(no matter if you would trust the person you get it from with your life), ALWAYS check a firearm if it's loaded or not when you give a firearm to someone else, NEVER point a firearm at something you're not willing to destroy or kill, NEVER hold your trigger finger on the trigger unless you are willing to pull the trigger there and then/are ready to shoot.
Remember that a bullet, any bullet, can travel way farther than you think and still keep its killing power, do not ever fire up into the air, do not ever fire in an arc into an area where you do not know with 100% certainty is clear, do not fire in the direction of anything unless you know your target and whats behind it.

Example: http://jonathanturley.org/2010/01/05/boy-killed-by-stray-bullet-while-in-church-with-family-on-new-years-eve/

It's not the first time shit like this happens, although it's rather rare to instantly kill someone by random chance firing up into the sky/in an arc, it still happens more often than needed. Accidents in normal settings with firearms happen too, I bet some of you have seen the clip, but there's a video around the internet where negligence of firearm actually let a kid end up shooting his father in the stomach or something, i'm not going to find and post the video because its very graphic.

DO NOT TREAT FIREARMS AS TOYS NO MATTER WHAT.

And btw all this goes to every single poster on this forum. And if you're ever handed a firearm-like object, don't trust that it's fake until you're absolutely certain, don't trust that its airsoft, don't trust that its loaded with blanks, dont trust that its a plastic piece of shit(polymer guns do exist). Please, for your own safety and others, try to remember some(preferably all) of the rules I've posted so far, movies and games have created so many misconceptions and so much neglect in firearms handling. You can actually kill someone with a single shot even with an airgun, let alone smaller caliber rifles(like the often extremely underestimated .22LR cartridge which some people seem to think is on the same level as a soft gun).

I'm serious about all of this, and it's not up for discussion.

TL;DR: Read it all you faggot, or you might end up with a broken nose if you ever handle a firearm near me or anyone else who actually knows anything about firearms and how to treat them.

Obviously its a touchy subject for him. But what he's saying is not wrong.
You can never be too careful when it comes to firearms, or other dangerous weapons.

Ok, to be honest, I have a fucking retarded question about a Nile song called "Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water". This is for people who can play the song. So, where are you playing 2nd bar of the song; 1st or 2nd example.

EX 1.
Code:
B ||-----------------------------|
F#||-----------------------------|
D ||-----------------------------|
A ||-----------------------------|
E ||--5--6--5--8--9--8--6--8--6--|
A ||--5--6--5--8--9--8--6--8--6--|
|---------------------------------------------------------------|
|*--20-19-17----------------------------------------------------|
|*-----------21-18-17-18-21-18-17-------------------------------|
|---------------------------------21-18-17----------------------|
|------------------------------------------21-18-17-18-21-18-17-|

EX 2

Code:
||---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
||---------------------16-15-13----------------------------------------------------|
||------------------------------16-13-12-13-16-13-12-------------------------------|
||---------------------------------------------------16-13-12----------------------|
||-5-6-5--8-9-8--6-7-6----------------------------------------14-11-10-11-14-11-10-|
||-5-6-5--8-9-8--6-7-6-------------------------------------------------------------|

Muffin is right.

anyone here have the Behringer UM300 pedal? would you recommend it?

I found this vid on jootube demonstrating it's tone. sounds perty good
[youtube]3ZWzT7SCp98&feature=related[/youtube]

Honestly, I've never found any "metal" or distortion pedals in general to sound good at all. But that's just my opinion, and I pretty much agree with Snowy. Most any amp that someone looking for heavy metal tone would own in the first place can get enough distortion and gain on its own. And if they don't, then that should be the first thing they change.

Holy shit, that better be a fucking joke.

The Onion=fake but hilarious news site

Ok, to be honest, I have a fucking retarded question about a Nile song called "Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In The Water". This is for people who can play the song. So, where are you playing 2nd bar of the song; 1st or 2nd example.

EX 1.
Code:
B ||-----------------------------|
F#||-----------------------------|
D ||-----------------------------|
A ||-----------------------------|
E ||--5--6--5--8--9--8--6--8--6--|
A ||--5--6--5--8--9--8--6--8--6--|
|*--20-19-17----------------------------------------------------|
|*-----------21-18-17-18-21-18-17-------------------------------|
|---------------------------------21-18-17----------------------|
|------------------------------------------21-18-17-18-21-18-17-|

EX 2

Code:
||---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
||---------------------16-15-13----------------------------------------------------|
||------------------------------16-13-12-13-16-13-12-------------------------------|
||---------------------------------------------------16-13-12----------------------|
||-5-6-5--8-9-8--6-7-6----------------------------------------14-11-10-11-14-11-10-|
||-5-6-5--8-9-8--6-7-6-------------------------------------------------------------|

I play figure 2, but from watching the vid I've linked below and watching Karl it seems like figure 1. I think he's a bit off and it IS figure 2 though, sounds better IMHO :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I've never found any "metal" or distortion pedals in general to sound good at all. But that's just my opinion, and I pretty much agree with Snowy. Most any amp that someone looking for heavy metal tone would own in the first place can get enough distortion and gain on its own. And if they don't, then that should be the first thing they change.

Yeah, a good overdrive pedal + the distortion channel of an amp is gonna be infinitely better than any distortion pedal. I'd say distortion pedals are last resort to try and get a better sound out of a very cheap practice amp, its really all theyre good for, and the only ones worth owning cost more than two cheap practice amps together, so its just renders the whole point moot.

Yeah, a good overdrive pedal + the distortion channel of an amp is gonna be infinitely better than any distortion pedal. I'd say distortion pedals are last resort to try and get a better sound out of a very cheap practice amp, its really all theyre good for, and the only ones worth owning cost more than two cheap practice amps together, so its just renders the whole point moot.

yeah, it's just going to be for mucking around anyway. I have a ways to go before buying any serious equipment for my real tone. I need it for jamming at my friend's house cuz he has a PA speaker thing that we use as the amp for the guitars, and when playing thru the Metal Zone pedal, it doesn't sound half bad. Oh and he has a 100watt guitar research amp, but the distortion channel on that is pretty crap. So this cheap pedal should suffice for such use.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

are licensed floyd rose tremolo's good?
some people say that stay in tune very well after doing multiple dive bombs and others say they dont..
ughhh, school now ):

Ah, a little late but: thanks lowberg for the counterpoint hint I found some interesting bands.

Does anyone happen to have tabs for Ascendant by Keep of Kalessin?

are licensed floyd rose tremolo's good?
some people say that stay in tune very well after doing multiple dive bombs and others say they dont..
Are all cars good quality? E.g. A Jackson licensed FR isn't t the same as a esp licensed FR. So you can't really generalize.