Guitar Player's Thread

†Deadnight Reaper†;9238246 said:
I'm gonna buy an EMG ALX for my guitar, do I have to make one more hole for the push/pull booster or will it also work with the volume knob?

You have to get a chisel to make room for the push/pull.
just place it where the volume knob is(remove it first), and give it a right good smack with a hammer

make sure you make the chisel parallel with the guitar strings first tho

†Deadnight Reaper†;9238246 said:
I'm gonna buy an EMG ALX for my guitar, do I have to make one more hole for the push/pull booster or will it also work with the volume knob?

In all honesty this is something you should probably know BEFORE ordering parts.

It replaces the volume knob that is in your guitar now. Works as a volume knob. Pushed down the gain circuit is activated, pulled up the gain circuit is deactivated.

The gain knob and little switches are only accessable through the back of your guitar. Switches are always on, gain strength depends on how high you turn it up via the trim pot in the guitar.

If you need to know anything else check the EMG web site....that's what it is there for.

Have any of you played or own a Jackson RR5? I was playing a RR24M in a Guitar Center today, and liked the overall feel of it, but I want a neck pickup, string-thru, and while not preferable 22 frets will suffice. Are there any other RR-shaped hardtail guitars with two pickups in a similar price range? I've seen the discontinued JS30RR but that seems a bit too low-grade (I tried the RR3 which AFAIK is the JS30RR but with a FR and 22 frets).

Heya - just bought a JE-1000 copy and I've figured since some of you succesfully installed one: why does the instructions say that the output goes to a stereo jack?
A normal guitar jack is mono - how will it affect the sound if I connect it to just a mono jack?
Mine doesn't have a push/pull thing for the gain - is there any way to turn the gain completely off and only have the EQ functioning (since I am not really interested in having more gain)

:D

I'm kind of surprised to read this. Are you fingering it like pinky (for the pulloff), index, middle, ring? It seems like such a common shape :confused:

Yup, but I think the main problem occurs when I actually do the 5 string version, everything goes wrong when I barre the 16th fret and it messes up the B or G string, but if I do the 3 string version, it's usually ok.

Heya - just bought a JE-1000 copy and I've figured since some of you succesfully installed one: why does the instructions say that the output goes to a stereo jack?
A normal guitar jack is mono - how will it affect the sound if I connect it to just a mono jack?
Mine doesn't have a push/pull thing for the gain - is there any way to turn the gain completely off and only have the EQ functioning (since I am not really interested in having more gain)

:D

There is an adjustable gain trim pot on the board...turn it anticlockwise I think and that should do it.

There is an adjustable gain trim pot on the board...turn it anticlockwise I think and that should do it.

Still wont be entirely turned off :p but thanks :D

Did you have any problems in regards to the output with the homemade one you got - did you do anything?

Well I'm not sure, I haven't recorded anything without it and then installed it with the trim pot on minimum to see HOW low it'll go, but I'm sure it would be pretty much off.

And I didn't have any problems as far as I could tell, just copied the wiring diagram and it was done.