Guitar Player's Thread

The drums were recorded in my basement, everything else was recorded in our producer's bedroom. He is awesome !!!

Prices were fucking cheap too, he charged only 450$ CAD to record, edit the drums, mix and master 7 songs which are all over 5 minutes long.

at first i told myself you can get recorded for cheaper for what you did (my band pays 425$ CAD a song), then i saw it was for 7 songs -_-'

We thought I'd be better if everything was done by the same person, no waste of time and no compatibility issues or anything... We're quite happy of the results. And as I said, recording with him wasn't THAT expensive, so we decided to give it a shot.

450 dollar for drum/bass/vocal recordings & mixing (for me ,recording line signals is nothing you get paid for.. especially when digitally reamped.. with gearbox)? I would charge less but maybe that's why I'm poor :cry:

edit.
nevermind that would be 333 euro, that's ok :D

Meaning you want to acquire a fair amount of skill without much effort? :p This depends on both your mentality and what your definition of "play good" is. To me, good is something completely different than what it probably means to most people.

Oh. No I mean i want to play good enough to do a song straight through. But i dont really want to try any Eddie Van Halen solo type guitar playing.

Not to trying to piss in your cereal or anything, but Slayer have quite possibly the worst solos I've ever heard on guitar aside from bands like Iwrestledabearonce and shit like that. It honest to god sounds nothing short of horses having sex. Their popularity as great guitar players is almost an insult to the people who do play guitar and take it seriously.

If I even start talking about Black metal and how shitty it is as a whole I'm just going to end up with the effect of a snowball rolling down the side of Mount Everest. It's probably just the sound quality, or lack there of that gets me. That and the non stop bland ass 32nd notes, endless blast beats, monotonous satanic themes, and corpse paint.

Kay, done.

<3

Oh. No I mean i want to play good enough to do a song straight through. But i dont really want to try any Eddie Van Halen solo type guitar playing.

Ah. Well, the process is quite simple really. What I would do is start going through your library of music and finding songs that you would enjoy learning. Songs that seem realistically within your level of skill, but that also challenge you a bit. First work on song memorization, then if there are any parts that give you trouble, slow them down and carefully work them back up to speed. Try to keep your hands/arms/fingers relaxed. After all the parts are well within your grasp, then work on playing through the whole song.

Anyway though, the more specific your goals are, the more specific advice I can give. But for now the most important thing is persistence, and enjoying playing.

Not to trying to piss in your cereal or anything, but Slayer have quite possibly the worst solos I've ever heard on guitar aside from bands like Iwrestledabearonce and shit like that. It honest to god sounds nothing short of horses having sex. Their popularity as great guitar players is almost an insult to the people who do play guitar and take it seriously.
Slayer is one of my favourite bands but I have to agree with you. They do have shitty solos on every album except Seasons in the Abyss. They aren't great but they are still far more superior than solos on Reign in Blood or South of Heaven.

New guitar day!!! Just got it Friday, and haven't been able to put it down since.

SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 w/ FLOYD ROSE

* Ash Body, Vampyre Red Finish
* Active EMG 707 Pickup
* Metal Cross Inlays, 24 Jumbo Frets
* Set-Neck / 26.5"
* Maple Neck/Fingerboard
* Active EMG 707 Pickups
* Chorme Hardware, Grover Tuners
* Floyd Rose Original 7-String Tremolo

loomis1.jpg

Loomis2.jpg

Okay, on to the personal review: My intial impression of the guitar was that it was very well-crafted. The neck of the guitar is what won my heart over. It is a larger scale and the frets are 'jumbo', yet the ease of playablity is remarkable. It simply feels sexy in my hands. The neck is set-thru and is smoothly contoured at the base, unlike bolt-on necks. I have always loved the look of maple fretboard and the inlays are so fucking rad! The neck on my ibanez is like a puny kids toy in comparision, I never realized just how thin it was!

I wasn't too keen on the vampire red finish at first, but in person it is much nicer. I like how the maple fretboard compliments the finish of the body. All the hardware on the guitar is chrome stainless steel - quality hardware. Grover tuners are very sturdy and seal-the-deal when it comes to keeping the strings in perfect tune. NOW... the 7-string Floyd Rose. This thing is amazing and clearly built to do its job, unlike the shitty Edge Pro II and III tremelos. Non contest, original floyd rose trems are the best in quality and playabilty.

The body is ash and is fairly heavy, which is a comforting quality I enojoy. Unplugged it resonates well and chords sound full. Plugged in, the EMG 707's sound good, but didn't impress me all too much. I still prefer the sound that high-output passive pickups (such as the x2n) produce. Not too much variation in distorted rock/metal tone with the active emgs but still good.

The guitar came professionally set-up and in-tune, so A+ to the people at Schecter for going the extra mile. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.

Video of it in action (probably should have spent more time properly learning the song, but fuck it :heh:)

You can expect many more Nevermore covers in the future :Spin:

Last edited by a moderator: