Guitar Player's Thread

That was a cool James Malone vid, the upside down neck freaked me out a bit lol It looked like a severed hand dancing around haha.

This weekend is going to be fun, we are reamping the guitars for our EP, the final thing that needs to be done!

We are going to record a couple different amps:

Krank Krankenstein
Engl e530
Randall T2

I wonder what will sound best in the mix for us. Maybe i'll post clips of each we'll do a blind vote :)

^Good luck man, for some reason people on guitar forums tend to have unfavourable opinions towards Krank amps, no idea why, you can get a solid badass sound with them. And yes please clips! :D

Hey guise, I just ordered my first 7-string guitar, what bands would you recommend that make good use of 7-strings in their music? Applicable bands I either know of or just started listening to: Periphery, Sikth, Meshuggah, Nevermore.

you're acting like powerglove didnt directly copy the music from the original song

Copying music is a long process that takes a lot of effort! :p

That was a cool James Malone vid, the upside down neck freaked me out a bit lol It looked like a severed hand dancing around haha.

This weekend is going to be fun, we are reamping the guitars for our EP, the final thing that needs to be done!

Krank Krankenstein
Engl e530
Randall T2

I wonder what will sound best in the mix for us. Maybe i'll post clips of each we'll do a blind vote :)

Clips plox, I've been waiting for that :lol:

Krank Krankenstein
Engl e530
Randall T2

Would love to hear clips with each amp.

Might sound cool taking the 2 best sounding amps and layering them, if one has better lows/mids and one has better mids/highs.

Ok so Epi has never checked in here since he said he could sell his RL-600, so...

I think I want a V shape guitar, and I think I've actually started liking the maple fretboard, the RR24M(aple) is 300e cheaper than the RR24 (ebony fretboard).

I gave up on the Alexi 200 because it has rosewood fretboard which doesn't exactly stimulate me sexually and I've heard bad things about the pickup.

So... with white or black body...

RR24M_Rhoads_md.jpg

55056.jpg

Think I'm maybe going for the black... makes the maple look more exotic...

But anyone got an opinion on a painted neck? Good or bad thing.

Hey guise, I just ordered my first 7-string guitar, what bands would you recommend that make good use of 7-strings in their music? Applicable bands I either know of or just started listening to: Periphery, Sikth, Meshuggah, Nevermore.

Copying music is a long process that takes a lot of effort! :p

One 7 string band I think everyone should check out is Blotted Science, they are awesomely awesome. Check em out, and I bet you wil like. All instrumental stuff, no vocals fucking anything up.

I have the black one (w/ a few minor upgrades) and it is the best guitar I have ever played and owned. I will never get rid of it. EVER!

The painted neck is really nothing to worry about. Not once has it ever hindered my playing.

Just replaced the small pot metal sustain block with a big ass brass block for the trem. What a great upgrade. Got rid of the ice pickyness of my pick attack and also tammed the brightness down of the maple w/ alder wood. best $40.oo upgrade ever!

My Bitch:
IMAG0044.jpg

I have the black one (w/ a few minor upgrades) and it is the best guitar I have ever played and owned. I will never get rid of it. EVER!

I like those words. I really can't decide between black and white. But one thing that maybe decides it for me is the pickups and stuff are of course black, so they mold in together with the black body better.

Yea, I like the black w/ white beveled Maple RR24 better than the white w/ black bevels.

But I do like the White ones that have an Ebony neck.

Just depends on the contrasts IMO.

The painted neck is really nothing to worry about. Not once has it ever hindered my playing.

Just replaced the small pot metal sustain block with a big ass brass block for the trem. What a great upgrade. Got rid of the ice pickyness of my pick attack and also tammed the brightness down of the maple w/ alder wood. best $40.oo upgrade ever!

My Bitch:
IMAG0044.jpg

That is one fucking sexy axe, lovely.

Thanks Mitch!

It's no Jackson Star, but it's about as close as I could get without going custom or used.

Thinking my next upgrade will be a gold floyd rose base plate. Then put the black saddles from this one on it so I have a little more gold in the bridge section of the guitar.

I am really fucking picky when it comes to the color schemes of my guitar and hardware. Plus I just can't leave anything I touch in stock form. It's a curse I swear.

Done deal. I tried it again today and it felt good, and since they didn't have the black anymore and I couldn't make up my mind should it be black or white then I ordered the white one. At least it's an uplifting colour and something different. I'd be fine with either, both are cool, in opposite ways. Think I should get it on Monday. Kickass!

You made a good choice Joonas.

I know everytime I pull my guitar case out and open it up and see my RR24M sitting in there I thank myself for picking it over the few others I was thinking off at the time.

And if you ever want to sell it in the future, I am sure you could get a good amount for it. Especially if Jackson quits making the Maple fretboards for the RR24's or RR24's in general.

One 7 string band I think everyone should check out is Blotted Science, they are awesomely awesome. Check em out, and I bet you wil like. All instrumental stuff, no vocals fucking anything up.

Listening to 'em now, they are pretty interesting and have some sweet riffs. Maybe a bit too extreme for me though, I can't see myself listening to this in the car or anything :lol:

Any other recommendations? I'd probably prefer stuff with vocals at this point. As I'm fairly new to the lower stuff in general, some vox would help balance out the unorthodox feel of the instruments for me.

It's no Jackson Star, but it's about as close as I could get without going custom or used.

How would you know though? You said your RR24M is the best guitar you've ever played and owned, and with how you seem to feel about the Star, it seems you assume the Star is better without having ever played one yourself. I've tried the out the RR24M several times and definitely liked how it felt (I'd have gotten one but I wanted two pups and a fixed bridge). All I'm saying is at this point I wouldn't assume the Star is "better" just 'cuz it's priced higher and harder to obtain :wave:

Plus I just can't leave anything I touch in stock form. It's a curse I swear.

I feel the same way XD Whether it's a pickup swap, a tone knob replacement/switch, removing a tail piece, etc., I am pretty picky myself :p

I couldn't make up my mind should it be black or white then I ordered the white one. At least it's an uplifting colour and something different.

Awesome. I've never regretted my purchase of my white RR5 (well technically it's ivory, but depending on the lighting it looks white half the time). And when you buy another axe down the line, if you get a darker/black-colored finish, you'll have that nice contrast between the two for variety/spice.

What equipment do I need for the tuning and setting new strings with this Floyd Rose thing? I need to watch some tutorial videos on how to manage the system. The guitar might be tuned to E standard in factory so I immediately have to tune it to D.

This seems to be a fun tutorial, I have to pay closer attention to it when I'm back at home.

(Edit Ah I see, I need a wire cutter and a hexagonal wrench. I was bummed by the system these guys use when loosening or tightening the bolts, I think that's just for making it faster or what?)

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you know though? You said your RR24M is the best guitar you've ever played and owned, and with how you seem to feel about the Star, it seems you assume the Star is better without having ever played one yourself. I've tried the out the RR24M several times and definitely liked how it felt (I'd have gotten one but I wanted two pups and a fixed bridge). All I'm saying is at this point I wouldn't assume the Star is "better" just 'cuz it's priced higher and harder to obtain :wave:

QUOTE]

I was meaning based on looks. I am sure they play pretty much the same. Stars (that I looked at) had white binding, all gold hardware stock, diff nut size (doubt this really makes a diff), and I think the floyds on them were not as deeply recessed into the body like the RR24M's, they were top mounted.

THe RR24M is basically the equivilent of the star just a little diff cosmetically.

Ok some people say if you take off all the strings at once you're FUCKED, some say it's better to take them all off at once. Sooo....? Plus do I have to open the backside to adjust the springs everytime I tune?

Watching some tutorial vids and the whole process looks fun and easy unless you're invalid. I guess switching from D to drop C tuning should be quite easy too, just need a tad of wrenching with the allen.