Guitar Player's Thread

So I thought I'd learn Stabwound today... Its taken me an hour and a half to learn the first 10 bars :lol: :erk: This actually makes me realise how much I suck :lol:

Um not exactly I'd say 75% :p after watchin some youtube vids, most seem to be playing it slightly different to the tabs that I downloaded.

Ah okey, well, most tabs are wrong, but not by much, so it doesn't really matter that much.

the theory n00b strikes again

what does adding the major sixth mean?

say adding it to the Dminor pentatonic what would the notes now be?

well there is no major 6th in a pentatonic scale. the pentatonic scale consists of the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th intervals.

for example in a D natural minor scale, these would be your notes:
D E F G A Bflat C
the Bflat is the 6th.

but here are the notes in a D minor pentatonic scale:
D F G A C
notice there's no Bflat...in otherwords, no 6th.

unless you want to add it in there... then it'd no longer be a pentatonic scale.

But he asked what does it mean and what would the notes be. The simple answer is D, F, G, A, Bb, C. Adding the sixth just means finding out the sixth note in the main scale and adding it to the pentatonic.

Btw, I started to scallop the neck of my Strat copy earlier. I'm planning on doing the whole neck but I've started on fret 21 and it looks pretty cool. It's going to take a while though methinks.

Mitch, did you ever play a guitar with a scalloped fretboard? It seems pretty interesting, I wonder if there's a big difference. Maybe my next guitar will be the Edwards Kiko, I have so much GAS for it. :D It has also a scalloped fretboard, from the 12th to the 27th fret.

inhe said:
^Post pics on update!

Will do. I would do it now but my mum's taking her camera out.

I've just completed my 3rd fret (21, 20 & 19) and should have another 2-5 done tonight.

AlexiWildchild said:
Mitch, did you ever play a guitar with a scalloped fretboard? It seems pretty interesting, I wonder if there's a big difference. Maybe my next guitar will be the Edwards Kiko, I have so much GAS for it. It has also a scalloped fretboard, from the 12th to the 27th fret.

Nope. Never played one but I've always wanted to. Now that I have the tools to do it, I don't see why I shouldn't.

Plus, if I don't like it, I don't have to worry because I don't play my Strat copy much but I might if I did end up liking it and I re-strung it to Eb and played some Yngwie covers on it. :D

Mitch, did you ever play a guitar with a scalloped fretboard? It seems pretty interesting, I wonder if there's a big difference. Maybe my next guitar will be the Edwards Kiko, I have so much GAS for it. :D It has also a scalloped fretboard, from the 12th to the 27th fret.

donno if this will help you but i scalloped my bass upper frets and it just make it easier to grab the string when you play fast and have lots of finger movement, some times i even do little bending because of it without noticing

Nope. Never played one but I've always wanted to. Now that I have the tools to do it, I don't see why I shouldn't.

Plus, if I don't like it, I don't have to worry because I don't play my Strat copy much but I might if I did end up liking it and I re-strung it to Eb and played some Yngwie covers on it. :D

Cool! Could I know how you do the scalloping?

donno if this will help you but i scalloped my bass upper frets and it just make it easier to grab the string when you play fast and have lots of finger movement, some times i even do little bending because of it without noticing

Thanks for the info! I heard that you can play easier or so with a scalloped board. I have to try it out one day. :)

Cool! Could I know how you do the scalloping?

Thanks for the info! I heard that you can play easier or so with a scalloped board. I have to try it out one day. :)

Although my JEM is only scalloped from fret 21-24 you still feel the difference, it's easier to bend and vibrato, but you don't get "faster", infact it will make you slower in the beginning because you will have to do some adjusting.

Here's a pic of what I've got done so far for those that haven't yet seen it in the other thread:

62f0cpg.jpg

Might see if I can get some more done on Tuesday unless I can be bothered to do some when I get home from work everyday.

Looks like you've done a good job so far :), I was thinking of doing that to my squier strat, but I'm crap at practical stuff such as filing so I'd probably mess it up. How long has it taken you so far?

Most people that have had wood shop, or w/e it's called in school can probably do it, it just takes time and patience.

Looks like you've done a good job so far :), I was thinking of doing that to my squier strat, but I'm crap at practical stuff such as filing so I'd probably mess it up. How long has it taken you so far?

I actually can't remember what time I started but I've been doing it at random times, stopping and starting all over the place so even if I knew my start time, I wouldn't be able to tell how long it's taken me overall.

I'd say around 1-2 hrs though. It says on some site 10-20mins per fret but this is my first time doing anything like this so I'm just taking my time and making sure I don't fuck it up.