Guitar Player's Thread

the whole ZOMG SUPER HIGH OUTPUT thing is over-hyped anyways. I find it makes more problems than it solves. It's way easier to overdrive a regular output amp, than it is to clean up a super-hot pickup, and it sounds just as good, if not better(overdriving, that is)

You won't miss out on much by not getting a ZOMGSZULTRAHOT pickup :p And pickups need not be priced incredibly high to be good either. I'm using GFS pickups in my LTD, and they're way better sounding than my EMG81. More flexible, great cleans, great overdrive, and i don't think i paid more than 35 bucks for each, had them for like 2-3 years now I think. Still happy with them, though they're not that "sharp" in their sound, I prefer them a bit "rounder". Recently bought a pair of telecaster pickups from the same company, neodyme magnets. They were really good as well :)

I think you'd most likely be very satisfied with that Ice Bucker, I doubt you'll regret it if you've done research on it and all :)

I know what you mean, that's part of why I'm trying to downgrade from Actives to passives. I feel like Passives have much more dynamic and respond to pick attack much better. I had an old Dean ML, one of the cheapest models you could buy of it really had great stock pickups. I think they were Seymour Duncans. I actually prefer alot of things on that guitar over my Jackson, mainly the response to my picking and the non painted neck. My Jackson may be getting it's neck sanded down a slight bit in the near future, but we'll see.

Anyways, now I'm a little confused as to what the fuck to even begin to request for my order on the Icebuckers.

http://www.wcrguitar.com/IceBucker_order.html

So many options :p
I've never installed pickups before this. I know it can't be too hard, but I atleast want to make sure I order the right shit for my guitar. That white and gold would look pretty sexy sitting under the strings of my white RR24 though ;)

I had an old Dean ML

Apparently Dimebag Darrell was best known for using Bill Lawrence L500-XL pickups but from what I've read when he was known as Diamond he recorded with L500-L pickups.

!CFs5eG!BWk~$(KGrHqN,!icE1NnORJ9YBNV+,qiCeg~~_1.JPG

Edit: Dimebag was completely mistaken that his reorienting the pickups had any effect at all. Both coils are the same. They are designed to be installed equally in right- and left-handed guitars with the wires exiting closest to the controls.

$54 each, $60 shielded.

As I understand it, the shielded option will give you a slightly sweeter high end.

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html

s

Don't forget that active pickups were originally created for jazz guitarists who wanted the most clear sound possible with the most wide/versatile range of frequencies offered. They are actually far more responsive than virtually any passive pickup (albeit in a different way). They just also happen to work really well for teh br00tz for those exact reasons, but were never originally intended to be omgmetal pickups.

Also, the EMG 81 isn't the only active pickup you should base your opinion of actives on. Try the 85 in the bridge if you find the 81 too sharp. I generally find the 81 to be too sharp as well in non-mahogany/FloydRose guitars.

199270_613450578403_44205939_34659143_3638070_n.jpg

Epic giant Marshall stack at my favorite music store, The House of Guitars in Rochester.

The scary thing is, apparently its real and actually works. I don't know the history behind it

haha I wish but I'm pretty sure its not hooked up/they wouldn't let me anyways.

I wish you guys could go check this place out though, the house of guitars (or H.O.G as we call it) is literally the coolest music store IMO

They have epic amounts of guitars (lots of high end stuff too, USA gibsons, PRS, USA Jacksons, Ernie Ball) Tons of vintage stuff and celebrity used guitars on display.

Shit is literally piled everywhere, it looks like a mess but its kind of the vibe they always have. And there is SO much memorabilia there its like a rock museum. They've got this "wall of fame" too which is just this giant graffiti wall signed by bands that have visited and you can spend like an hour just looking for bands that signed it, metallica, megadeth, slayer, maiden, motley crue, any band you can think of.

2838309664_1a8e95e28e.jpg

2849958923_6eaf7b2efb.jpg

July%202008%201901.jpg

putting an über-awesome pickup in a shitty guitar wont do anything. Its like putting some shitty singer in front of a superbadass mic.

putting an über-awesome pickup in a shitty guitar wont do anything. Its like putting some shitty singer in front of a superbadass mic.

That's not true. The shitty singer will always sound shitty ;) You put a shitty player on a high end guitar with the best guitar pickups available and he will still sound like shit! Just had to point that out :lol:

Also, If it's actives from what I understand the wood etc. Will not matter THAT much. This reminds me, I should really replace the pickups in my RG7321...

How shitty are we talking about?

Shitty guitars usually have shitty pups so you can make a shitty guitar better by putting in better pups and hardware.

If it's shitty because of a design flaw, dodgy truss rod or just very poorly made then you're better off getting another guitar.

s

That's not true. The shitty singer will always sound shitty ;)

But that's what I said..?:lol:

And I'm talking about the wood and stuff and how it is built. If you have a guitar with shitty wood which was maybe even cut shitty and glued shitty the best pickup will make it still sound shitty. Like a shitty singer wont be better if he sings through a awesome mic.

Also, If it's actives from what I understand the wood etc. Will not matter THAT much. This reminds me, I should really replace the pickups in my RG7321...

WTF?! you dont know anything about guitars,right ? :lol: You just said the pickup is more important than the wood ?

He's actually somewhat right. Well... The type of wood itself still is important, but as far as the shape of it and so on, it doesn't seem to matter too much. You can't exactly go cut down an oak tree and make a good sounding guitar.

Last edited by a moderator:
its all about the vibrations. Shape and mass of the body will make a difference.

That's what I mean. As long as you have a decent, solid piece of wood you'll be fine. I'm just saying that sometimes you can get some pretty decent tone out of some otherwise shitty equipment. There have been alot of really well known guitar players who have gotten by on some very questionable stuff. Chuck Schuldiners main amp for a long time was just a Marshall Valvestate, which was like a $250 dollar head. Yngwie Malmsteen doesn't even use 100 watt heads. He's sworn by the 50 watt ones for quite some time, not because they necessarily sounded better, but when he first started playing they were cheaper and he could have several of those as opposed to one powerful amp.

Actually, as a side note, there's no real point in getting 100+ watt tube amps today, as(at least here in norway) everything live is mic'd and run through PA. Cranking a 100 watt tube amp in order to get your tone right, won't leave you with anything more than cranky sound engineers. 50 watts is plenty

He's actually somewhat right. Well... The type of wood itself still is important, but as far as the shape of it and so on, it doesn't seem to matter too much.

It's not just the type, but the quality. The mahogany used in an LTD guitar is not going to resonate and sustain nearly as well as the mahogany used in an ESP guitar.

Amp & Speakers >>> Wood type/quality >>> Pickups

It's not just the type, but the quality. The mahogany used in an LTD guitar is not going to resonate and sustain nearly as well as the mahogany used in an ESP guitar.

Amp & Speakers >>> Wood type/quality >>> Pickups

thats total bull pickups will always be more important