Guitar Player's Thread

its all about the vibrations. Shape and mass of the body will make a difference.

If you plug straight into an amp from your guitar (no FX) yes the wood and neck differences are noticeable, these days with effects and amp simulators you can do a lot, of course you won't need to work as hard to imitate a sound if you have the right equipment to start with.

As for amps, I have a 50W and the guy that built it said one of his 50W amps was used for a stadium show by a local artist. They just mike up whatever amp you have and let the PA do the work.

If you play pubs a 100W amp will usually be on 1 or 2 volume, if you turn it up expect to have a bad mix, the sound guy can increase your volume in the mix but he can't turn down your amp from the desk.

When Megadeath played here they had a row of stacks on very low volume for ambience but behind it all was a 25W amp with one speaker. It had a mic in front of it and this is what the audience was hearing through the PA.

s

thats total bull pickups will always be more important

Lawl. Pickups simply account for different frequencies being emphasized/reduced/removed, all of which can be altered through EQ-ing anyway. You can take "bad" pickups and still sound good with them if you know what you're doing. However, the resonance and sustain that the wood of a guitar provides can not be faked through any kind of pickup or EQ you throw at it. You will never get true sustain even with a handwound $1,000,000.00 pickup crafted on ancient grounds provided that your guitar's wood is shitty.

Lawl. Pickups simply account for different frequencies being emphasized/reduced/removed, all of which can be altered through EQ-ing anyway. You can take "bad" pickups and still sound good with them if you know what you're doing. However, the resonance and sustain that the wood of a guitar provides can not be faked through any kind of pickup or EQ you throw at it. You will never get true sustain even with a handwound $1,000,000.00 pickup crafted on ancient grounds provided that your guitar's wood is shitty.

finally someone who isnt talking crap! I'm with the ninja!

But still, even if you got a guitar made out a holy tree from Dhalai Lama's backyard it's gonna sound shit with a shitty pickups, not as shit as a guitar with bad wood and a shitty pickups, but still shitty.
The thing is, you need both :)

WTF?! you dont know anything about guitars,right ? :lol: You just said the pickup is more important than the wood ?

Can you read? Thought so. I NEVER said that in my post...not even going to check because what I meant is that it will play a bigger part depending on the pickup aswell. Talking Active vs. Passive!

That being said, I usually don't really give a shit what pickups I got...I play with what I have and I am yet to play a guitar I own through my amp that sounds shit.

And yeah, ofcourse it's not worth it to invest in a EMG set for a Bc Rich warlock bronze....but exactly why we are arguing about it is beyond me? It's general knowledge.

If you plug straight into an amp from your guitar (no FX) yes the wood and neck differences are noticeable, these days with effects and amp simulators you can do a lot, of course you won't need to work as hard to imitate a sound if you have the right equipment to start with.

As for amps, I have a 50W and the guy that built it said one of his 50W amps was used for a stadium show by a local artist. They just mike up whatever amp you have and let the PA do the work.

If you play pubs a 100W amp will usually be on 1 or 2 volume, if you turn it up expect to have a bad mix, the sound guy can increase your volume in the mix but he can't turn down your amp from the desk.

When Megadeath played here they had a row of stacks on very low volume for ambience but behind it all was a 25W amp with one speaker. It had a mic in front of it and this is what the audience was hearing through the PA.

s

why are you qouting me if you're writing shit thats not even related to my post?
And please dont tell me what is miked up at gigs, thats not a secret. And lawl @ the fx thing. Metalheads... lol

Quit being a bunch of noobs and stop arguing about tone and start practicing.

Tone chasing is a waste of fucking time in the end IMO. Get a decent metal amp that fits you best (Recto, MKIV,V/5150,XXX,JSX/JCM,DSL,JVM/ENGL/Randall ect.), get a solid guitar, Fucking play

Quit being a bunch of noobs and stop arguing about tone and start practicing.

Tone chasing is a waste of fucking time in the end IMO. Get a decent metal amp that fits you best (Recto, MKIV,V/5150,XXX,JSX/JCM,DSL,JVM/ENGL/Randall ect.), get a solid guitar, Fucking play

+1.

Cannot stress this enough. And one does not have to have prime gear to sound good or be comfortable. I played a mini-tour with a Ibanez RG7321(Stock) and Randall RH50T half-stack with a Boss SD-1 and MXR M-108 and had killer tone the entire tour!

Lol I thought I was getting an Alexi-200, but surprise, they shipped me a fucking beautiful Alexi-600 scythe !!!!!!! It has been signed by all members of COB, and I have just given it a clear coat so the signatures won't fade. It is beautiful !!!

Just after I got it :
189617_10150446569985347_570255346_17974265_813010_n.jpg

196031_10150446570190347_570255346_17974269_3141148_n.jpg

After spraying the clear coat on :
198267_10150446614100347_570255346_17974822_272450_n.jpg

Tomorrow I will remove the masking tape and take it to my luthier so he can adjust everything perfectly. I'm gonna play this guitar next friday when my band opens for Kalmah :D

Oh and here's what I did to the case :

196832_10150446747695347_570255346_17976365_7306722_n.jpg

inb4 firestorm

also I agree with Lowburger, just fucking practise, get solid gear, that's it. I see alot of people going like "uhh yeahh the EQ'd high pass filter of the 5000khz milisecond amplitation impulse is vital to the co-existence of the paragraphic parameter in the mix"

and they play like this on godly gear:

1:03 for playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
inb4 firestorm

also I agree with Lowburger, just fucking practise, get solid gear, that's it. I see alot of people going like "uhh yeahh the EQ'd high pass filter of the 5000khz milisecond amplitation impulse is vital to the co-existence of the paragraphic parameter in the mix"

It is more like this:

*starts thread*

"Guise, what pickups should I get? I liek to play lots of dis metal liek Avenged Sevuhnfold, Bullet 4 My Valentinez, Bring Me Teh h0rizons, n Killswitch Engage. Oh and I forgot to mention I want it to sound really heavy. Oh but I don't want EMG's bcuz I hurd they r sterile, rite? Should I get Dave Mustaine Livewires? I hurd Dave Mustaine uses them. What about Blackouts vs EMG's? I hurd Blackouts sound more like teh natural soundz!

*doesn't mention anything about amp or guitar being used*

*people respond by shouting out random pickup models or even just brands (even more pointless) that they either use in one of their guitars, have used, or have heard of people using, despite that fact that no information about OP's gear or setup is given*

jm: Congrats on the guitar! Looks nice. I'd love to win one of those contests/drawings/whatever it was.

It is more like this:

*starts thread*

"Guise, what pickups should I get? I liek to play lots of dis metal liek Avenged Sevuhnfold, Bullet 4 My Valentinez, Bring Me Teh h0rizons, n Killswitch Engage. Oh and I forgot to mention I want it to sound really heavy. Oh but I don't want EMG's bcuz I hurd they r sterile, rite? Should I get Dave Mustaine Livewires? I hurd Dave Mustaine uses them. What about Blackouts vs EMG's? I hurd Blackouts sound more like teh natural soundz!

*people respond by shouting out random pickup models or even just brands (even more pointless) that they either use in one of their guitars, have used, or have heard of people using, despite that fact that no information about OP's gear or setup is given*

jm: Congrats on the guitar! Looks nice. I'd love to win one of those contests/drawings/whatever it was.

I hope this wasn't referring to me since I spawned the pickup convo here :p

*starts thread*

:lol: !!

It was on cobhc.com, it said pre-order the new album and then you had to pick your country, so I picked Canada, and then it said ''pre order relentless reckless forever, you could win a signed ESP guitar.'' I didn't wanna pre-order but then I read the rules, and they said no purchase necessary, all you have to do is send a letter with your e-mail adress, phone number, mailing adress and write a 100 words essay on why you should win the guitar... so I did that, and sent 20 entries, since the rules also said that entrants can participate as many times as they like. I really wanted that guitar :lol: Then some guy from Universal Music e-mailed me to tell me I had won, and he shipped the guitar to me.

Edit : I just found the essay loll

Why I Should Win The Children of Bodom Guitar Giveaway Contest

I know I should win the Children Of Bodom Guitar Giveaway Contest because I have been a fan of Children of Bodom since I was 14, and Alexi Laiho is my biggest inspiration as a guitarist. I am the guitarist of an all female black metal band called Aenygmist, and every single time I write a lead guitar part or a solo, I am inspired by Alexi's playing. I should also win this guitar because I love ESP guitars, my main guitar is an LTD and it's the best guitar I have ever had the chance to play. I could never sell it or give it away. If I am the one to win it, I will take care of it as if it were a little baby. I am probably the most careful person in the world about my guitar gear, I don't even let my boyfriend touch my amp. Finally, I think I should win this guitar because it will make me really happy, since Children of Bodom is my favorite band and that I love them more than any other band in the world. Getting a signed guitar from them would be absolutely fantastic.