Guitar Player's Thread

Thanksfor the quick reply Lowberg.

I was actually watching that video the other night....sounds good to me.

Clean channel...never used one of those before...what's that?

You are right about the power amp...really expensive...that's why I'm on this guy like flies on shit. The price is just to good to pass up. Plus Engl in my eyes has always been one of those amps that cost waaaayyyy too much for what I can afford, until I saw this deal. So hopefully it will go through.

Well, the engl e530 is only $600 new, so its definitely one of the cheapest options for engl. Even when considering having to buy a tube power amp (Assuming the person would want a tube poweramp) the total cost would be around like 1,300. That guess takes in consideration that cheaper priced tube poweramps are hard to find new, so we're talking about used tube power amps or something like a new $600 carvin tube power amp.

All in all it would end up being around the price of a cheap engl head.

Im just done with rack gear, lol. I've had a rack setup starting with the gp1k for about 3 years and Its time to go back to basics for me.

Just for lowberg

d97b464f.jpg

I swaped out the EQ and the Sd1 is gone. It's the best it's ever sounded, about to replace the one channel from el34m's to JJ 6L6Gc's. New pre amp tubes too up in the GP and gsp. probably new g series wireless rack too

sooooo killer no filler

Getting a shockmout 12 space rack this month too

That set-up is tits!!!

That Rivera power amp is HUGE!!

How is that Legacy cab? Was thinking about trying to find one over a 1960A/B. The Legacy comes with V30's right?

Ahh...I see you are in FL....me too....time to find your house..lol...J/P

That guy selling the VHT 2/50/2 and engl e530 still hasn't gotten back to me...so pissed...was really hoping to get that. Might look into the Blackstar HT-20 head...heard some good things about it.

That set-up is tits!!!

That Rivera power amp is HUGE!!

How is that Legacy cab? Was thinking about trying to find one over a 1960A/B. The Legacy comes with V30's right?

Ahh...I see you are in FL....me too....time to find your house..lol...J/P

That guy selling the VHT 2/50/2 and engl e530 still hasn't gotten back to me...so pissed...was really hoping to get that. Might look into the Blackstar HT-20 head...heard some good things about it.

The legacy rules. Mine was a very early edition that came with green backs. Ended up selling two replaced with 75s then traded a friend two gbs for gk85s. It sounds so gnarly. Played it thru a Mesa os 412 the other day, dig my legacy more on this setup.

I like it more then a 1960 too

619f60a5.jpg

The Rivera is badass. Rivals the VHT. Though I'm searching for even more dryness and curiousity leads me to believe and a VHT would get me there.

We tour florida all the time

hey guys whats up

i have some problems about music theory..

i have a hudge problem since ever. I can learn all the scales in the world (lets talk about the typical pentatonic scale with the 5 patterns) but i dont know how to apply them. I cant simply grab it in any key i want and simply play over a song if i want to, i need to know the keys the song is played in to know which key i need to play the scale. This is my problem. how can i know where should i play in a random song? lets say for example the song wish you were here from pink floyd, if i wanted to improvise all over the song which key should i play and why?

in the new alexi dvd he talks about mixing scales but what i find confusing is that he teaches how to play 2 different sequences of the c major scale, and my doubt is: should i just memorize how to play the sequences and then just when playing over a song just put it in the right tonality and play exactly the same?
another question is that alexi plays in drop c and D standard, and he plays the c major scale starting at the lowest string at the 19º fret (which in a E standard is a C, so thats why its called C major because its the root note) but as he at standard d or drop c it should be another note right??
the 2º sequence pattern is started at 10º fret. thats a D note if im not wrong right? so why is it called C major then?? doesnt make sence.

another thing that confuses me is that alexi is showing sequences of scales without showing how is the scale played first. where could i find the c major scale or the minor pentatonic?

these are giant doubts i have in my head that its troubling my playing and guitar learning which i cant learn ANYWHERE and as i dont have guitar classes whatsoever im having lots of trouble

i appreciate your help;) thanks

I am no theory expert but I would suggest you check out the Guitar Grimore scales book. It goes over all the scales.

I have found that you can use almost any scale for any song as long as it is started or at least ended on a note that tonely fits in the key of the song.

You know the 5 Pentatonic positions, so if the key were in E, you would play the 1st position of the pentatonics starting at the 12th fret(E), now you could improv to your hearts end in all the other positions but you can't just end on some odd note. You want to stay within the Key of the song to keep it sounding pleasing to the ear.

What helped me most was learning all the notes in the scale but not in box patterns like usual, but in a linear fashion. Learn all the notes on 1 string at a time all the way down the neck, then you will get used to playing better over the whole neck instead of just staying in a few positions.

If any of you theory gurus can elaborate on this please do as I am always wanting to learn more theory myself.

@ nunofrg - Rustey Cooley's Fretboard autopsy dvd helped Me out on this one. I just look at the fretboard and imagine a G major scale over it (or any other scale). I also try to keep in mind what kind of notes are on my open strings.

Ear training,

Learn what different scales sound like, you should be able to sing them.
Learn about tonic notes (The starting note that the scale/tonality is focused on)

Once you are comfortable and practiced learning how a scale is supposed to sound, and hearing the tonic note in that scale,
You then should practice listening to songs and figuring out what is the tonic note (note name of the key) that it is centered on.

In most cases you arent going to be able to just listen to a song and be like that's C minor!. You might be able to guess the type of scale, but the tonic/key is hard to just hear by ear and guess the note name.

Once you hear the tonic note in your head, the note that the peice is centered around, you can find it on your fretboard and you can apply the scale.

This is not something easily taught on a message board, i would suggest finding someone in person

Also, I get to see fucking nevermore headlining an off date in a small bar in a few weeks, for 14 bucks. win

as i dont have guitar classes whatsoever

Here's a decent site for music theory for guitar.

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

I also agree with learning all the notes on the neck rather than box patterns but the pattern sequences are useful as most notes within a scale are fretted:

and you get a hang for where they are in relation to the neighbouring strings, most importantly go by your ear, sometimes it may not be in a scale you know but fits the background chords.

s

to figure out what scale you would use you need to look at the chord progressions used within the song, even if it's using all C major chords (c major, d minor, e minor etc.) they could be used in a modal context, so using C as a tonic wouldn't work. That probably really isn't what you need to worry about right now, but basically know what chords are being used, and maybe not in pop/metal songs but in a lot of songs, mostly jazz, there isn't a lot of sticking around in one key, stuff changes, and fast. which is why roman numeral harmonic analyzation is really important. for instance, since you mention pentatonics, most commonly used for "blues" progressions (I IV V in it simplest form) you could easily use E pentatonic the whole time, or follow the changes and use E, then A pent, then B pent (assuming your chords will be dominant). If you just want to listen to a song and solo, that's up to your ear to decide first of all what key it's in, which would be finding core notes that work the best, then go from there deciding if it's major or minor, then see if it's following some sort of progression and see what notes to stress to make it sound inside the changes.

and i'm not sure what you mean by sequences of the c major scale, usually sequences are applied to chord changes, but he might be talking about modes, so although he may be starting on D he would be playing the same notes that compromise a c major scale but starting on D, this would be D E F G A B C D, this is the mode Dorian, which has a formula of 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7. This is also another great scale to use in place of blues/pentatonics because it has the b3 that gives it that kick but opens you up to more options

Don't know about you guys, but I freakin' love Vinnies tone on this album. I've been trying to learn this lately. It almost reminds me of more tolerable Yngwie stuff :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd fiddle her g string...

Anyways, I FINALLY stopped being lazy about recording youtube videos and made this cover today. Shovel Knockout!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!

I'm looking to buy a bass guitar, any brand/model recommendations for within 300 USD? I'm looking at some esp bass guitars with active pickups on ebay, is that my best option?