Guitar Player's Thread

hey guys here i am with another big question for you since this is the only place i know that i can get my guitar doubts answered..

some weeks ago i decided to study musical theory and know what the hell im doing a bit. turns out i dont have a guitar teacher so things get hard, but anyways:

- Whats the difference between pentatonic normal and minor pentatonic? cuz they are played exactly the same way =S

- How can add the minor natural/melodic/harmonic to the pentatonic? i mean im playing a song in E with pentatonic for example, how can i know if i can play the minor scale and where?

- The pentatonic is made of 5 notes as it says and the formula is: root-2-3-5-6 . Lets imagine the pentatonic scale in E: e-f-g-b-c <- it would be like this, but thats not what i play in the guitar, i play (1º position) e-g-a-b-d so that confuses me a lot because it doesnt make sence (yet) to me :S

- Some guy told me that if i want to use the major scale of the 1º degree in the corresponding pentatonic (or the contrary) it comes from the 6º degree of the scale. so if i was playing the g major scale i would play the Eminor pentatonic.... ok but: g-a-b-c-d-e e= 6º is this what he was talking about and is it correct?? so can i say that: i can play with any pentatonic scale in almost anysong in the correct tonality, but if i want to add the major scale i have to go to the 6º degree of the tone im playing and play there? what if it was with minor scale which is the interesting scale to learn and not the major?

- Lets imagine i want to improvise over a random song, lets say symphony of destruction of megadeth. in which key should i play and why?

sorry for being so lame by asking this stuff all the time, but you always give me good answers. and thanks for the help ;)

I'm trying to decide between a 2x12 Mesa or Orange cab for my 5150. I've heard people say the Mesa has more lows/low mids, with the Orange having more mids/upper mids and being tighter and crisper. Everything is subjective though because I like a balanced sound that is able to go both ways when I am wanting that specific sound. *shrug*

Anyone have played the 5150 through both of these (or similar enough circumstances) and can offer input?

Mesa for teh br00tz

tl;dr, a good distortion pedal for folk/melodeath metal that's high gain but not to weedy and thin. Also, multifx/modellers?

Cheers, guys.

POD is good. No pedals, pedals suck (but if you do want one I like the ML-2) pedals still suck.

The best modeller would be Line 6 I guess, unless you're willing to sell your sister to satan to be able to afford an Axe-FX.

Get a Boss HM-2!
Waiting on mine mine as we speak :)

5UXXj.png

hugeassblockoftext

eveningninja can probably answer those, he's a boss at theory.

POD is good. No pedals, pedals suck (but if you do want one I like the ML-2) pedals still suck.

The best modeller would be Line 6 I guess, unless you're willing to sell your sister to satan to be able to afford an Axe-FX.

I think I'm just going to go for the POD, yeah. Hopefully it's not too awkward to change patches onstage.

Also, I'd do bad things for an Axe, my GOD.

Cheers for the help, man!

Oh lol I just read the tl;dr, for live that's a bit of another story..

POD could work, but if you got a patch you like, you'd keep using that one? Or are you gonna have like, one lead tone, one rythm tone etc?

The very best thing for live would be a nice tube amp with a booster and effect pedals if you use that, most venues have tube amps you can use.

New Amp this weekend!
Randall V2 in silver, Randall haters gonna hate. Vid review soon.
Perfect pair with my other gutarist's T2

V2%201.jpg

V2%202.jpg

T2andV2.jpg

I'm trying to decide between a 2x12 Mesa or Orange cab for my 5150.

I love Mesa standard rectifier 2x12! I've also heard nothing but good things about Orange cabs, except they weigh a ton, but the mesa cab does also.

You cant go wrong with either!

Mesa is 61 lbs
Orange is 71 lbs

same speakers.

Go on whichever one is cheaper IMO

Get a Boss HM-2!
Waiting on mine mine as we speak :)

Had one for a month, it sounded like a chainsaw lol Cool in an old-old-old school grindy melodic death type way.

So THIS was the new amp eh? Gief vid NAO.

@Zakk: AxeFx is my ultimate goal, I hope to obtain one instead of a car cause who the fuck needs one in London.

- Whats the difference between pentatonic normal and minor pentatonic? cuz they are played exactly the same way =S

It seems you're learning little bits and pieces without learning the basics and as you progress this will lead to a mountain of questions with answers you won't understand because your foundation is so poor.

It would be like teaching calculus to someone who doesn't understand the basics of algebra.

Try this:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

Start from the first lesson 'know your notes' and follow the lessons down the page.

You may not want to play major scales right now but you'll soon find that the notes of the pentatonic are in the major scale, etc. All this should become clearer when you learn the basics.

By all means still keep practicing your pentatonics but set aside extra time to learn theory.

s

^Ahh jesus fucking music theory, my mind is full of fuck

I tend to agree, theory is just rules and formulas to explain what it is you're hearing but it doesn't mean you have to follow the rules or even bother to learn them..

If you're lucky enough to have a good ear it will come easy but some of us need explaining of what exactly is going on.

s

I once heard a quote that went something like this:

1. (first) Learn the rules
2. (then) Study from the masters
3. (finally) Forget the rules

At the end of the day, whether or not you follow "rules" doesn't matter. But having knowledge of them is an important step in the process. Some think theory is restricting, however I think it does the exact opposite. Having more knowledge simply grants you more freedom.

My entry for the Gus G. esp/blackstar contest.

Should I stop posting my videos here, I feel like I'm being a cam whore... I guess if anyone wanted to view my videos you could subscribe on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator: