Guitar Player's Thread

Yes, totally removable.

Now to remove one you have to take off the saddles to get to the sustain block screws. There are 3 of them. Make sure you take a picture of the position your saddles are in before you take them off, that way when you put them back on they are relative to the position they were in before removale. Or else your intonation is going to be all out of whack. Also, make sure you put the correct saddle in the same string position. They have different heights to them to account for the curve of the fretboard.

You may already know this, but if not you will be scrathcing your head later wondering why the guitars set up is all out of spec when you thought you put it back together right.

Oh, there is also a shim in between the sustain block and the floyd's base plate, you don't need it, get rid of it. It's just another piece of metal that absorbs vibration. Theory is that that you get a better transfer of vibration with the sustain block directly touching the base plate instead of it touching the shim, which is then touching the base plate.

Okay cool. And so... which block (size/material/shape/etc.) should I get for my LTD Alexi-600 amd Edwards RV? The same one would fit for both, right? Pretty sure I'm gonna do this. And can I get cheaper prices for this on ebay? I did a quick search and see a bunch of sustain blocks on there but don't know if they're the same ones.

@TheKid: you have improved padawan, hard to really see/hear with your camera though. Put the playing into context with some covers or originals broseph, those are much more interesting to watch :p

@eveningninja: Cheers dude, yeah I'm working on my album atm but I was sick of not being able to think of a song to cover and only having my terrible vids from 2009 haha

Got any recommendations? I could use a challenge.

holy shit why do you upload stuff like that? :D

also the whining-text in the beginning is horrible. And put a shirt on next time. No one likes your man boobs

>implying it was an awful vid where I sucked
>impying I was whining
>implying I have man boobs

687f5f.jpg

<3

@eveningninja: Cheers dude, yeah I'm working on my album atm but I was sick of not being able to think of a song to cover and only having my terrible vids from 2009 haha

Got any recommendations? I could use a challenge.

Know what you mean. Songwriting and shit can get really tiring, it's nice to let the fuck loose once in a while :p Buttttt you must know that if you ask me I'm obviously gonna recommend some epic Japanese pwning :lol: And so here it is...

Such a sick guitarist. He kind of reminds me of a Japanese Paul Gilbert, both technically and stylistically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay cool. And so... which block (size/material/shape/etc.) should I get for my LTD Alexi-600 amd Edwards RV? The same one would fit for both, right? Pretty sure I'm gonna do this. And can I get cheaper prices for this on ebay? I did a quick search and see a bunch of sustain blocks on there but don't know if they're the same ones.

I got the 37mm brass big block w/o the L piece. I guess you could go a little bigger but I didn't want to take any chances with it not fitting in the cavity.

As long as they are both Floyd Rose equipped guitars the sustain block can be swapped between the 2 guitars.

I too saw some cheaper ones on ebay, but I ordered mine direct from floydupgrades.com. I know they have a good reputation as they endorse alot of artists. Was like $40.00 or something. Probably have same results with an e-bay one. Read reviews on e-bay ones as if the screw holes are not perfect you will be fucked and it will not install properly.

As long as it's brass, 37mm, and for an OFR you are good to go.

Really curious to hear what you think about them. No ones else I know has even heard of this life changing mod before. IMO, this is up there with the MXR 10 band eq as something I will never go without again in my set up. It's one of those secret weapon kind of things.

Know what you mean. Songwriting and shit can get really tiring, it's nice to let the fuck loose once in a while :p Buttttt you must know that if you ask me I'm obviously gonna recommend some epic Japanese pwning :lol: And so here it is...

Such a sick guitarist. He kind of reminds me of a Japanese Paul Gilbert, both technically and stylistically.

Holy hell, his hands... so relaxed. I actually finally managed to decide on a song to cover next (Where the Sky Ends by Sylosis) and I'm learning it but once I've done that song, this one will be next for sure, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
hey which guitar cables have you guys found to last you the longest?

also, don't know if anyone in here plays classical, but any suggestions for classical guitar strings?

I got the 37mm brass big block w/o the L piece. I guess you could go a little bigger but I didn't want to take any chances with it not fitting in the cavity.

As long as they are both Floyd Rose equipped guitars the sustain block can be swapped between the 2 guitars.

I too saw some cheaper ones on ebay, but I ordered mine direct from floydupgrades.com. I know they have a good reputation as they endorse alot of artists. Was like $40.00 or something. Probably have same results with an e-bay one. Read reviews on e-bay ones as if the screw holes are not perfect you will be fucked and it will not install properly.

As long as it's brass, 37mm, and for an OFR you are good to go.

Really curious to hear what you think about them. No ones else I know has even heard of this life changing mod before. IMO, this is up there with the MXR 10 band eq as something I will never go without again in my set up. It's one of those secret weapon kind of things.

Hm... any particular reason you got the non-L piece one? I'll definitely post my thoughts once I hear the difference, I'm excited :cool:

Dunno, I've had my monster cable for years

Yes, I use D'addario pro arte ej45 normal tensions. Very nice indeed

I hear monster cables are over-rated :p

And I tune my classical to D standard, but I have yet to change the original strings it came with...soo I'm guessing EJ46 hard tension would be good for this tuning, ja?

also, don't know if anyone in here plays classical, but any suggestions for classical guitar strings?

I have a mogami cable at home that I have had for about 8 years now, still rolls up proper and has never shorted out crackled or anything on me.

It was a bit expensive, but if I don't have to replace it every few years it is well worth the money IMO.

Hm... any particular reason you got the non-L piece one? I'll definitely post my thoughts once I hear the difference, I'm excited :cool:

I am very big on keepeing my floyd in perfect set up condition, so I am always making adjustments to it. So with that in mind....if I had the L-shaped block I wouldn't be able to get to the floyd arm adjustment screw behind the base plate without taking the block off, and I figured that little bit more of mass can't make THAT big of a difference in tone.

I would rather get a longer block than get one with the L shape.

I played my LTD and Xiphos last night(don't have brass block in these 2) and then played my Jackson(has brass block) and it really just makes the sound so much better. It really made me hate my 2 guitars w/o the big block, tone wise. I gotta get some for those ASAP.

Peavy PV series. Had mine for years, they are the most rugged cable evar.

Also second on the Pro Arte.

Check out Savarez too, the texture is so nice and they're so easy to work with :)