Guitar Player's Thread

Yep, I was thinking like 5-8 years, but it's obvious the guitar will wear out some day. But it won't matter cos I hopefully have a job when it happens, so I can always buy a new one.
/QUOTE]

o_O !
the best guitar that I own is a 35 year old one. When a guitar ages it becomes "better" IMO because the wood stuff interacts while you play and it takes some years to get them in "harmony".
The metal stuff might be fucked up in a few years but thats stuff you can change/replace. Pickups have also an interesting aging effect which isnt negative at all if you like the sound but I guess I prefer something completely else than you guys so that "vintage"sound might not appeal to you :)

the best guitar that I own is a 35 year old one.

What guitar?

My guess is it was pretty good 35 years ago.

The old Fenders - there is aesthetic appeal, the white plastics go a green colour, same with the paint, etc. but they made them differently back then, the wood, the pick ups, time spent on each guitar. They were a very popular guitar when first made and it stands to reason they're even more sought after now. The aging wood probably improves the tone a touch but an old crap guitar will still be a crap guitar today. :lol:

s

well nah I dont think so. It's a fact that the wood (neck + body) vibrates and that the pieces are affected by these vibrations which leads them to change and "fit together" better than back then when they were built. Of course many guitars were constructed quite differently compared to the same models nowadays but the aging effect isnt just limited to the plastic and metal stuff.
It's a Fender Mustang, pretty shitty guitar I know, but I love the sound its produces and even though its from a pretty "unspectacular" year it has a quite special, percussive sound.

the crap guitar comment is 100 % correct though :D

The only lame thing about the mustang is the 24 inch scale :p But i guess that lends to its sound.

The only real vintage Fender I want is an old Jaguar :eek: :(

the scale is awesome, its more the fact the it won't stay in tune for a long time once you spend some time on tuning it correctly :lol:

well nah I dont think so. It's a fact that the wood (neck + body) vibrates and that the pieces are affected by these vibrations which leads them to change and "fit together" better than back then when they were built.

I guess they will 'bed' in together better over time and the moisture content of the wood may change over the years.

One thing to be careful of is where the neck joins the body, some old guitars have been thrown around a bit and you can get a bit of neck movement through the bolts which put it out of tune.

It's a Fender Mustang... from a pretty "unspectacular" year it has a quite special, percussive sound.

CBS era? Did they all have the giant headstocks like the Strats did during that period?

I imagine they'd be a nice guitar, the shape isn't very 'Metal' friendly though. :lol:

s

the scale is awesome, its more the fact the it won't stay in tune for a long time once you spend some time on tuning it correctly :lol:

It could be a few things, as stated above - the neck join, the machine heads slipping, bridge movement, how secure the truss is and maybe even the neck warping if it's lost a bit of strength. I always feel a little unsettled watching Gibson players bend their necks to get a bit of tremelo effect.

s

CBS era? Did they all have the giant headstocks like the Strats did during that period?

I imagine they'd be a nice guitar, the shape isn't very 'Metal' friendly though. :lol:

s

Nah it hasnt a strat-like headstock, but I read they're building them with bigger ones since '65 but as I have never seen a 64/64/62 Mustang I dont know how small it was compared to the "new" ones. I like the big Strat headstocks though.

Thank lawd it doenst look metal friendly :lol: I dont really like the look of ANY typical "metal-guitar". But I also think the mustang's sound isnt what you guys are looking for when playing shred stuff or metal.

lol mahogany sucks, also WTF?! You're almost 10 years younger than me? Makes me feel old ;(

I bought my Explorer when I was thirteen

So Epiphone call them Explorers?

At least Ibanez changed the name and look of their copies to Destroyer .. I still have my Destroyer II btw.

I liked it but it was quite heavy so my next guitar was similar, smaller & lighter - Jackson Kelly KE3 (first issue) which I prefer.

s

^Yeah, I wasn't being entirely serious, I love Vs and Explorers, can't picture myself ever buying either of those two in the future though.

lol mahogany sucks, also WTF?! You're almost 10 years younger than me? Makes me feel old ;(

Mahogany is awesome for what I like, ballsy (not thin) distortion, and full, bassy/low-mid focused cleans.
And yeah, you're old.

Man I hate describing shit like that.

Alder has a crunchy sharp (but not piercing!) midrange and crystal clear highs which sing using their own asshole FUCK THIS