Guitar Player's Thread

Just got back from Summer Slaughter at Soma in San Diego.
Here is my review:
Got there at about 6 pm. Saw the first two bands Beneath The Massacre and Ion Dissonance.
BTM: This band was probably the worst of the night, I just didnt like it.
Ion Dissonance: More heavy than technical, but they were good.
Up next, ARSIS!!!!:
Boy was this a good set. Opened with The Face Of My Innocence which is my favorite. Don't know the other 2 songs because the mixing was bad and I couldnt hear a thing.
Then The Faceless:
Pretty good, though I dislike the singer. Guitarists are good.
Then me and my buddies went to the lobby to escape the chance of having to sit through 2 1/2 hours of shit. In this gap, I met The Faceless's lead guitarist, and James Malone from Arsis (FUCK YEAH).
Then, the glory of the night, NECROPHAGIST:
I couldnt have been more happy with the setlist.
They played the entire Epitaph album in order!!
Then Marco Minneman (Has Played with Paul Gilbert) had a good sized drum solo about 6-7 minutes long. This is guy indeed the best drummer I have ever seen!
Then Necro jumped into Full Body Autopsy which was epic.
Then Intestinal Incubation
Then Extreme Unction
Then they ended with the perfect song, FERMENTED OFFAL DISCHARGE, by crowd request.
Very good night and I suggest every one see this tour! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

awesome dude! but i'm definitely gonna stay for cattle decap.

and i'm leaving for the show very soon....i'll try to take some pics and post 'em for you pplz.

now everyone will put Seymour Duncan in their RR and be like "Seymour Duncan For The MOTHER FUCKIN Win!! :lol:

Tbh, when I bought my MMV, I ordered new pickups to it too so the guys put them already when they were making it, instead of EMG's. SH-2N on the neck, Dimebag Darrel's signature Dimebucker on the bridge ftw :worship:

omg :lol: !!!

Is that actually Yngwie playing? In that case were is it from? It sounds really tight, and nice tone aswell.

There is actually a quite good quality vid of Only ash remains on youtube from their tour.

Yeah, it's a song called "Magic And Mayhem" from his 2005 "Unleash The Fury" album.

Am I the only one who hate Yngwie tone(without discrediting his skills)?

I've got a really dumb question, what is the difference between overdrive and distortion? I know the physic thingy sbetween the two but I don't know about sounds ( I rarely try new amps). Anyone can TRY to explain? or soundclip maybe?

Btw, I just buyed j50bc pickup on ebay for 20 bucks! I'll have it in around a week or two. I'll give y'all sound sample if you want? I have a EMG afterburner for active electronic, so I think it will sound pretty good (well, I hope).

I think Warheart or any other fans of Arsis might find this news interesting.
When I met James last night, I asked him when he thinks he would start to sing again. He said he really just needs to see a doctor, and since of Arsis' crazy tour schedule lately, he hasn't had the chance to. The replacement isn't too bad though.

Am I the only one who hate Yngwie tone(without discrediting his skills)?

I've got a really dumb question, what is the difference between overdrive and distortion? I know the physic thingy sbetween the two but I don't know about sounds ( I rarely try new amps). Anyone can TRY to explain? or soundclip maybe?

Btw, I just buyed j50bc pickup on ebay for 20 bucks! I'll have it in around a week or two. I'll give y'all sound sample if you want? I have a EMG afterburner for active electronic, so I think it will sound pretty good (well, I hope).

Yngwie's tone is can be one of the most awesome ever, sometimes it sounds a little bit worse though.

Without going into the whole aspect of tubes and how they work, which i don't know alot about, distortion is a kind of overdrive, as far as i've understood it.

I think Distortion is more artificial. Overdrive is like a natural sound you get from cranking the volume and pushing the tubes to the max. That's how Yngwie gets his tone, because he always plays so loud...apparantly.

061507_21531.jpg

Me (On Right) with the magnificent James Malone of ARSIS

^nice pic :) I just took one like it but with Stephan, Necro's bassist :)

well I've just come back from the show...well almost an hour ago. I had to shower right away cuz I was covered in other people's sweat and I've found several bruises on my body :lol: But it was all worth it cuz I was in the absolute front row for the last 6 bands. And my poor boobies were being squished the whole time cuz when you're in the front everyone from behind packs in and the ppl in the front get insanely squashed. But Muhammed was litterally only 2 feet away...and if there wasn't a gap between the stage and the barricades, I would've touched god...oh, I mean Muhammed :p

So my main critisicm is that most of those bands sound too much alike. for example, beneath the massacre, as blood runs black, and ion dissonance all had nearly the same exact breakdowns!! and these bands are more hardcore than metal imo. Arsis, however was awesome. They were probably my 3rd favorite. My 2nd being Cattle Decapitation (holy shit, they have a crazy singer...I mean you can see the insanity in this guys face as he scream...he's really quite scary. His mouth was foaming as he screamed and he kept spitting beer out to the crowds, and I got it all over me. Infact,he looks scary when he's singing but that's what makes them so good. you can feel their music. Good stuff. and not to mention that they have a crazy guitarist). And I think we all know who the best band of the night was (duh!) Marco even did a CRAZY ASS drum solo during the necro set. I got some of it on video but unfortunately I didn't catch the craziest parts (I was too busy watching to bother to record it, sorry). here are a couple of pictures:
Live&

MuhammedHOB.jpg

here's a really bad pic I took with Stephan...it was really dark inside and my flash wasn't on.
StephanandmeHOB.jpg

if anyone wants to see video footage from the solo of foul body autopsy (I think that's what it was...the sound is bad and i can't really make it out) PM me.

as for the other videos, i'll upload them later.

^ Awesome. How were Decapitated? I hope you didn't make the same mistake as EB and missed them :rofl:

But now let me tell you about my little chat with Stephan...it was kinda like a interview cuz I found out so many things...haha.

So I asked him if he likes the tour so far, and he said yeah, he loves playing in the states cuz the crowds here are "wild and crazy." In europe, he says they're boring. And then I was like, "REally? what about finland and sweden and all those nordic countries...don't they have crazy metal fans over there?" and he said, they've actually never playing there yet, but only in norway. then we started talking about black metal. then i asked him how long has he played for and he said 7 years. and i was like, wow, you're really good for 7 years...and he said he practices 5-7 hours a day!! i was like, "holy shit! what about muhammed how often does he practic?" and he said muhammed doesn't practice at all! he said once muhammed didn't play guitar for 3 months and then the next time he picked one up, he was amazing on it. and here are his exact words, "Muhammed is a genius." And I was like, yeah dude, I can tell! then I asked about their next album...and he said they're really lazy and haven't even written any songs yet...but they wanna come back to tour the states next year...so they should be recording soon...well, as soon as the songs are written...

then I asked about the xiphos. I told him that I bought one and he said that's awesome (in his very thick german accent) I asked if muhammed had originally proposed the idea to ibanez and he said that ibanez actually came to him so he could just be kind of like the promoter. so they made him a custom xiphos in exchange for him promoting it. AND...he's getting another custom made and the fret inlays on this are gonna say NECROPHAGIST on them. how fuckin sick would that be?!

ummm...what else....oh he asked me if I was going to any afterparties (and this point, I was like, holy shit, i'll get to party with necrophagist) and I said I didn't know of any...and asked if he was going. he said he's waiting for some ppl to tell him about it and if I hang out with him I could come too. BUT my stupid friend Ofer had to go home and he was my ride...so I had to leave as well...but whatever, i'm tired. I asked him if the band drinks a lot and he said no because if they do, then they can't perform well the next day. but they get a day off after tomorrow's show so they're gonna drink heavy tomorrow night. (although i don't know if Muhammed drinks at all, cuz he's muslim) And then i mentioned alexi and his heavy drinking and how his skill have kind of gone downhill....and he said yeah, he doesn't really listen to bodom anymore because the new stuff is too "poppy" :lol: then we talked about alexi's stolen jacksons...

So yeah...there was some more chit chat but I'm too tired and in pain to remember all of it. This was a really brutal show and I loved...i'm gonna go eat now...hope you gusy liked the review, and sorry for all the grammatical errors/typos...i really don't care to fix them right now.

oh and sorry if i babbled a lot :p

oh and i just remembered, the problem they had with customs about entering the US was for all of them, not only Sami....