Guitar Player's Thread

question for guitarists, when theres a lead on like the high e string that is like
20191716 or something like that and then descends on the strings would you slide from the 20 down or would you recommend using all 4 fingers? sliding seems easier but i'd imagine in the long run you can't do it as fast or as clean so is something that has that sort of pattern better to use all 4 fingers on? and before you say use your pinky in general i do use my pinky a lot for playing, just i was wondering if it should be used for that sort of run. if you need an example a while back there was a posting of the michael romeo licks and one of them was a diminished thing which had that sort of a pattern running down all the strings.

always use pinky when you can.

ok maybe not always, i dont use it past 19th fret ish (1-2-3 stretches) but forcing strength into your pinky is only going to help you in the long run. you reap what you sew etc.

edit: and having speed sliding is by no means a bad thing. a well rounded guitarist should have as many skills in their arsenal as they can

and i do :p

cmon you cant diss on Rusty, even though i've never heard him play anything slow he is a beast

rusty cooleys music is pretty boring, sure he can shred really fast but whats the use in practicing every day for 24 hours to go super fast if you can't even make good music with it? his solos are so fast it gets pointless and doesn't add anything.

Do what you can man, I really believe you have good ideas for themes and melodies. Do you play other instruments besides the keys?

Have you played Zelda?

gerudo valley theme actually fits really nicely on the guitar

rusty cooleys music is pretty boring, sure he can shred really fast but whats the use in practicing every day for 24 hours to go super fast if you can't even make good music with it? his solos are so fast it gets pointless and doesn't add anything.

lick at 1:13 reminds me of the harmonized passage to the reaper lick :p

but wtf seriously, you're going to tell me thats an unmusical pile of shit? even this is musical.

Last edited by a moderator:
for video games you gotta create like fucking crazy ass megaman shit with sweeps and wierd ass shit

Video game music at it's best!

always use pinky when you can.

ok maybe not always, i dont use it past 19th fret ish (1-2-3 stretches) but forcing strength into your pinky is only going to help you in the long run. you reap what you sew etc.

When i started playing i always considered people who used their ring finger for Whole step-half step shapes to be too lazy to practice their pinky (Although now i know that's not really the case). so now it's actually harder to play it that way, because i have to think were i put my fingers.

Rusty can write some cool stuff, like the riff to Raise Hell. But i don't like him shredding.

When i started playing i always considered people who used their ring finger for Whole step-half step shapes to be too lazy to practice their pinky (Although now i know that's not really the case). so now it's actually harder to play it that way, because i have to think were i put my fingers.

It can get crowded up there yeah.

but I'm of the opinion no matter what you do, it all goes to the same place. even if you think classical guitar isn't going to do shit or whatever, everything you do can help you in some way. and thats not just guitar either lol

For a phrase like that, I would slide with my index from 17 to 16. So either pinky-ring-index-index or ring-middle-index-index. I simply cannot use all 4 fingers either than chromatic patterns. I remember seeing a Jani Liimatainen young guitar demo where he used all 4 in a scale pattern.

Me too. It's how I've always done it.

E- 20-19-17\16-

Check out this guy:

Amazing technique for an 18 year old. Not saying it's musical or anything (it's not), but the technique=:worship:

As Michael Angelo Batio says: It's better to have it and not use it, then not have it and need it ;) :cool:.

And check out the gear he has! Bogner! :headbang:

Check out this guy:

Amazing technique for an 18 year old. Not saying it's musical or anything (it's not), but the technique=:worship:

As Michael Angelo Batio says: It's better to have it and not use it, then not have it and need it ;) :cool:.

And check out the gear he has! Bogner! :headbang:

:lol: at the end its like ".. oh shi-, gotta take a piss /end_video"

Damn im exhausted...had band rehearsal today. Lotsa growling,playing and soloing. When we had playd 5 hours i started to feel like i woud faint and when i tried to solo it woud sound like shit coz my hands were shaking...but my solos sound liek chicken shit anyway so you cant make out the difference :D

Damn im exhausted...had band rehearsal today. Lotsa growling,playing and soloing. When we had playd 5 hours i started to feel like i woud faint and when i tried to solo it woud sound like shit coz my hands were shaking...but my solos sound liek chicken shit anyway so you cant make out the difference :D

stamina? :p