Guitar Player's Thread

:lol: Alright, here it goes.

I've been playing for about 11 months now (11 months Sept. 29th.) and I'm approaching a year now. I feel like I haven't accomplished much (Well, learning to play, but those are details.) And for this past week, this has been bothering me, so for the past week, I feel like I haven't improved one bit, and that is bothering me as well.

My first question is: What can I do to feel like I've done the best I could the first year of learning to play, to feel actually..proud?

My second question is about theory.
I REALLY want to learn theory, because I find it awesomely interesting and I want to know what I'm playing. My second question is: Where should I start learning theory, should I go to a teacher, or can I pick it up on my own?

I'm sure you are progressing just fine. You should now try to learn one whole song. Maybe Bed of Razors or something like that, nothing too difficult like Necrophagist. And as far as learning theory, there are MANY sites on the web that give good insight to music theory. Teachers are good, but not necessary. If you have discipline and have the common knowledge to practice correctly, you will be fine. I'll try to post a link for you.

Inhe- Well, I picked up my guitar and figure out your riff instantly. I guess I'm more into the dissonant/complex sound.

Although complex riffs can be really awesome, a few of the best riffs for me are from Sinergy (mainly To Hell and Back). Almost all riffs are in Amin using pretty standard stuff, but sound amazing.

So what happens if you turn down the gain on your KORG and use the gain boost compared to having full gain and no gain boost?

Even if I turn down the Korg gain, it still fuzzes. It's even more evident when I'm using a clean tone.

From what I hear that gain boost does add a lot. Sounds like very good tone. Your tone is pretty damn close to Mr. Laiho's :kickass:
Sounds good, I like your tone, even if you say it didn't sound good.
BTW USUCK UPLEY BADD :yuk: :p.

:kickass:

Sounds good but those drums need a minor adjustment. The bit in the middle sounded a bit weird with those "flams" but the actual riff has potential imo.

If that Jackson of yours had a neck pickup as well, it would kick ass.

If it had two pickups, I wouldn't have bought it. :p

And here's my first "proper" recording with the RR. If you listen to the left side, you can hear a real muted/chunky sound because I palm muted so hard and a little closer to the pickup than normal. It got me that "hollow" sound that I love in Alexi's tone in 2002. I love it. I had to have the gain so low for this, you can hear my slide about in the right side somewhere. :lol:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/laisvt

:lol: Alright, here it goes.

I've been playing for about 11 months now (11 months Sept. 29th.) and I'm approaching a year now. I feel like I haven't accomplished much (Well, learning to play, but those are details.) And for this past week, this has been bothering me, so for the past week, I feel like I haven't improved one bit, and that is bothering me as well.

My first question is: What can I do to feel like I've done the best I could the first year of learning to play, to feel actually..proud?

My second question is about theory.
I REALLY want to learn theory, because I find it awesomely interesting and I want to know what I'm playing. My second question is: Where should I start learning theory, should I go to a teacher, or can I pick it up on my own?

aww buddy, you're not alone in this. I experience this "not accomplishing anything" feeling quite often also. Like after a year of playing I was also questioning my progress, and I still do right now. I've played for a little longer than you, i think by 3 months, and I'm sure you're ahead of me, like in terms of sweeping, at least. maybe that makes you feel better? :D

and regarding theory, I recommend that you learn the notes on the fretboard. How else will you know if you're playing an A min arpeggio? know what i mean? It'll seem like a hard thing at first, and it'll take your brain a while to familiarize itself with all the notes. but just practice everyday. like what i used to do is go through all the Cs on every string, then the Gs, then the Ds, then the As, etc. So while you pluck the note, call out the name so you start memorizing it.

I'm sure you are progressing just fine. You should now try to learn one whole song. Maybe Bed of Razors or something like that, nothing too difficult like Necrophagist. And as far as learning theory, there are MANY sites on the web that give good insight to music theory. Teachers are good, but not necessary. If you have discipline and have the common knowledge to practice correctly, you will be fine. I'll try to post a link for you.

I think even BoR is a bit hard for one year of playing, I mean if you want it to sound good, that is.

Agreed

Here you go squeee with three E's ...

http://www.musictheory.net/

Wow, thanks so much! *bookmarks*
I'd NEVER try something from Necrophagist :lol: But bed of razors seems fine. I'm pretty sure I have the discipline, but if I need help, I'll probably go to a teacher.. Thanks again! :D

By the way, I'm still interested in all of your opinions, if you feel like giving your opinions.

Oooh, sorry, I hadn't seen your post Mystique. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way :p.

At about 4-5 months, I went to a teacher and said that I should learn the notes on a fretboard, so I know them (Not by heart, but so-so). I wouldn't really care about comparing myself to others, some say I'm good for my time, but I've never felt "accomplished" :p. Thanks :).

Anonymous said:
I remember you posting a pic of a red Alexi model with two pickups a few pages back, what was that? I almost shat a brick :lol:

That was a limited edition ESP Bloodbath. It's nice but I would never have chosen that over my Stars. I wouldn't even get the ESP model unless I had like £1000000000000 spare.

And here's my first "proper" recording with the RR. If you listen to the left side, you can hear a real muted/chunky sound because I palm muted so hard and a little closer to the pickup than normal. It got me that "hollow" sound that I love in Alexi's tone in 2002. I love it. I had to have the gain so low for this, you can hear my slide about in the right side somewhere. :lol:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/laisvt

Wow, seriously awesome tone.

Oooh, sorry, I hadn't seen your post Mystique. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way :p.

At about 4-5 months, I went to a teacher and said that I should learn the notes on a fretboard, so I know them (Not by heart, but so-so). I wouldn't really care about comparing myself to others, some say I'm good for my time, but I've never felt "accomplished" :p. Thanks :).

haha, we're on the same boat. I think it'll take us a lot more playing and more time for that "accomplished" feeling to kick in.

btw, how many hours a day do you practice?

I've been playing for 1.5 years now, the first time i really felt i made some serious progress was when i changed my picking technique. I have some off days here and there, but mostly it's going good all the time.

I've been playing for 1.5 years now, the first time i really felt i made some serious progress was when i changed my picking technique. I have some off days here and there, but mostly it's going good all the time.
How's your picking technique now? Like PG's?

haha, we're on the same boat. I think it'll take us a lot more playing and more time for that "accomplished" feeling to kick in.

btw, how many hours a day do you practice?

At first, I'd have to say 5-8 hours.
These past few months, 3-5..6 if I'm lucky.. but I'm starting to work soon so I'll probably be able to play 2-3 hours a day, that is if I feel like it/have the time.