Guitar Player's Thread

Actually it does make sense, it means having the ability to tell what is "musically correct" without actually learning it.

Is the Ibanez RG550 worth the money? Is it a good guitar overall (To Mitch and Inhe, more precisely, but if others know, you can answer!)
my band's member owns one from the 80s model i played it my self couple times and what shall i say nothing special at all not from sound and not from comfort i would say overpriced.

Well, my first guitar was and is :lol: an ibanez gio (not the starter ones, but the Grg something..) and I love it.. but it won't last forever. I LOVE V guitars, but I'd prefer an all around guitar, that can pretty much play anything.. Soooooooooooo.

Well, my first guitar was and is :lol: an ibanez gio (not the starter ones, but the Grg something..) and I love it.. but it won't last forever. I LOVE V guitars, but I'd prefer an all around guitar, that can pretty much play anything.. Soooooooooooo.

:lol: awesome...my first was an ibanez gio mikro...cuz i'm fuckin small and wanted a smaller one...like a jackass...i didn't like it too much--but it was cheap. i tried playing a huge ass dime washburn...didn't go over so well..so the gio mikro it was :Smug::lol:

whoa....i dig the hell outta that :kickass: i like at the end of the auction..."do you do your own swirls"...:lol: just fuckin sounded funny:loco:

You can know theory without even knowing it =O Loomis is a prime example.

you kind of need to know theory to be a prog god. such like John Petrucci, of course, but thats what makes MJR so AMG. you listen to the guy talk about his playing and its obvious he knows exactly what he's doing. that and the fact i think he has some of the greatest finger control i've ever seen.

See, this statement is absolutely false. The only time I ever play anybody else's music is for the riff game thread, the moment I pick up a guitar I just play whatever comes to my head. I play over backing tracks sometimes too, but mostly just the guitar only.

Improv is the only thing I ever do on a guitar, so I disprove what you just said. One doesn't need to know theory to be creative on a guitar.. You just need to know what sound will come out of the guitar if you put your finger on a certain fret, but for the entire fretboard. Like I said, I have a great ear.

well see that's the thing. then you just get stuck in a rut. from personal observation, my guess is you'll probably start figuring out some patterns that sound nice, and have a hard time breaking from them cause you really don't know what notes are available to you in a certain key. and especially stuff like diatonic chord cycles. sure you know an arpeggio "form," but does that really tell you anything? do you know where your root is? can you invert it for a harmony? if you look at PG, a lot of what he does with arpeggios is just diatonic seconds. If i said cycle of fifths, which might be one of the most important chord cycles, you might be able to work it out by ear (with way more added effort than if you could just ping it as a diatonic cycle), but do you really know it? can you drop it into another key at will? do you recognize the diatonic intervals? all of those are extremely important to writing your own solos and riffs, and making them sound exactly the way you want them to. dicking around until something sounds good can only take you so far.

So, I should know them both from the Standard "E" tuning and the 1 Step Down "D".. so when I'm thinking/talking about it, I can make the transition easy?

i wouldn't. learn your theory/notes in standard, that's all you really need. just keep in mind if someone says, "i'll giv eyou a backing in D minor," you need to just play a step above that to compensate for your tuning and play in E. IMO, its way too redundant to learn 12 keys in standard, and learn them again a step down(?). like i said, a lot of it's just patterns and note recognition anyway.

@Shredtastical - Whatever floats your boat, I'm perfectly fine playing how I play right now. I would have learned theory had I ever felt the need to, for instance if I were to have gotten stuck in a rut musically I would've gotten out by learning theory or whatnot. So far I've been generally pleased at what I do, and to be honest knowing theory is alot less important to me than having a good ear for music.

@Shredtastical - Whatever floats your boat, I'm perfectly fine playing how I play right now. I would have learned theory had I ever felt the need to, for instance if I were to have gotten stuck in a rut musically I would've gotten out by learning theory or whatnot. So far I've been generally pleased at what I do, and to be honest knowing theory is alot less important to me than having a good ear for music.

well yeah, if that works for you great. just from my standpoint of knowing (and still learning) theory, i am SO glad i worked at it. it's an invaluable tool for me. but yeah, from what it sounds like, your ear far surpasses mine so i guess it all compensates.

my band's member owns one from the 80s model i played it my self couple times and what shall i say nothing special at all not from sound and not from comfort i would say overpriced.

I got my used one for 600 dollars, not a scratch on it and sounds awesome, and plays just like my jem.

Is the Ibanez RG550 worth the money? Is it a good guitar overall (To Mitch and Inhe, more precisely, but if others know, you can answer!)

If you're an ibanez guy, this is probably the best guitar you can buy.

Yeah, Jackson RR Dan Spitz signature model...it used to be available only to Japan in 90-94 (or maybe even to 95). Mine is 91.

Ok, here's a quick pic I made yesterday, but it really sucks...more pics coming later today:
DSC06470m.jpg

I sold my Jackson Stars RR-J2SP for it :).