Guitar Player's Thread

I'm not a fan of his music, but this song scares the shit out of me:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=d4RNA1LfYbg

Extremely hard to play the licks seperated, but to play the whole song must be...woah!

And lol@ the absolutely typical licks in the middel-part.

Impressive, but not something I would listen to for enjoyment. Sounds like a bunch of exercises patched together.

Neither did Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, Haydn, Mozart, or any other composer/musician who lived before 1812 (year of invention of metronome)...and no, I'm definitely not regarding Rusty Cooley to be on the same level as those composers. He's a decent guitarist/musician, but far from being a musical genius.

Anyway, the metronome is a good tool to check rhythmic accuracy with, but constant, mindless practice with a metronome is not a good thing.

Yes, but even then I think classical composers had a sense of rhythmic beat. Practicing scale patterns with a metronome puts me in a rut.

That one doesn't work for me :lol:

Here is the same file i uploaded but in GP4.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t9is4b

Do they play that one live? That is fucking nuts! I wouldn't expect the official tab book to get it perfect either.

Finnaly got my 25 minute video of SX uploaded :lol:

I thought I would stick it in here because I manage to keep the camera on Romeo during the solos. Video quality = shite, sound quality = fucking great for a mobile phone :rofl:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5270483912486932680

Whole Setlist:

1. Oculus Ex Inferni (intro)
2. Set The World on Fire
3. Domination
4. The Serpent's Kiss
5. Paridise Lost
6. Inferno (Unlease the Fire)
7. Sea of Lies
8. Of Sins and Shadows

Then Dream Theater came on and played a pretty flawless show, was very enjoyable. I just wish they would get a new singer :erk:

Wow, seems like you had a great time! Very good audio, considering from a cell phone. I bet Dream Theater wasn't half bad either :lol: :headbang:

Do they play that one live? That is fucking nuts! I wouldn't expect the official tab book to get it perfect either.

I don't think they do, but they might have.

As far as i know, those are the tabs that Muhammed sent to the respective members before the recordings of Epitaph, for them to practice to.

Wow, that does sound pretty good for a cell phone camera. Usually bootleg videos are totally blown out by bass, but this is awesome.

It's a shame Symphony X don't have a larger audience. I truly think they're the best band right now.

i think its all motherfucking goddamn exposure. im sure there's plenty of people who, if i walked up to on the street and said "put down your slipknot bullshit and listen to this..." they'd realize that they only thought SK was good due to the fact they'd never heard anything else.

i think its all motherfucking goddamn exposure. im sure there's plenty of people who, if i walked up to on the street and said "put down your slipknot bullshit and listen to this..." they'd realize that they only thought SK was good due to the fact they'd never heard anything else.

It's true. I never realised how good rock/metal was just due to the fact that i dindn't hear it. I listened to rap/pop until i was 14, and then a friend gave me some Iron Maiden cd's, which i loved. After that i pretty much only listened to metal.

I went to my local guitar store today with mah geetar to try out some amps. First i tried the Marshall Kerry King JCM 800 which they had just received, i was pretty stunned at how awesome tone i could get, i liked it.

Then i tried the Marshall Vintage Classic that Paul Gilbert has used on G3 and his tours lately, unfortunately it didn't give out enough dist without a pedal, and i didn't want to bother them with asking for a pedal :p.

I looked around the store, this was the first time i was there since they expanded with the "amp" room. So i saw some ENGL's. The only one plugged in was the powerball, which i tried. It sounded pretty cool, but not as i would've expect. Maybe if i fiddled around with it more. They also had an ENGL invader, which costs roughly $2700. I would've liked to try that one, but it wasn't plugged in so i stayed with the powerball for a while.

I also wanted to try out the effects pedal that Mitch uses, which they sold there, but they had to order from their dealer, so that wasn't a possibility. Although they didn't have the exact version, but they had this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KORG-PX4D-PAN...ryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Which is pretty much only more stuff and a higher price tag. Do you know if the sound engine is the same as in yours Mitch? Sometimes when "improving" stuff, they actually make it worse, so i wanted to ask you about that.

yeah...! i will buy a book about scales and soloing soon and as a project with my buddy i wanted to play northern comfort...one time me leading and one time him...what do u think 'bout it?

That sounds great and all, but i was jokingly refearing to "artifical playing", meaning not real/natural.

I also wanted to try out the effects pedal that Mitch uses, which they sold there, but they had to order from their dealer, so that wasn't a possibility. Although they didn't have the exact version, but they had this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KORG-PX4D-PAN...ryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Which is pretty much only more stuff and a higher price tag. Do you know if the sound engine is the same as in yours Mitch? Sometimes when "improving" stuff, they actually make it worse, so i wanted to ask you about that.

The only thing I know about that is it's built to handle guitar AND bass, that's the only difference.

I actually found the PX3 to be a bit better. There's a function where you can add a harmony to your guitar. You can choose a certain amount of semitones, or you can choose it to harmonise a min3rd up in the key of Emin, so if you play in Eminm it'll harmonise perfectly. 1-3 is different volumes and with 4, you can actually re-tune your guitar without touching the tuning pegs.

So if you have your guitar in E stringed up with 9's, you could set harmony 4 to "-6" and play some Meshuggah tunes. :kickass::kickass::kickass:

The PX4 doesn't have the 4th harmony option, only the 1st 3.

That's the only difference I can remember.

The only thing I know about that is it's built to handle guitar AND bass, that's the only difference.

I actually found the PX3 to be a bit better. There's a function where you can add a harmony to your guitar. You can choose a certain amount of semitones, or you can choose it to harmonise a min3rd up in the key of Emin, so if you play in Eminm it'll harmonise perfectly. 1-3 is different volumes and with 4, you can actually re-tune your guitar without touching the tuning pegs.

So if you have your guitar in E stringed up with 9's, you could set harmony 4 to "-6" and play some Meshuggah tunes. :kickass::kickass::kickass:

The PX4 doesn't have the 4th harmony option, only the 1st 3.

That's the only difference I can remember.

Yeah, i heard about that. The extra stuff doesn't concern me that much, although they might be cool, but the tone is the most important thing. I wonder why they removed that function though, sounds like something really usefull.