Guitar Player's Thread

yeah i used to do something similar to that before. and now i can name every note in first position without any hesitation at all. like i can actually read music for it. so i'll just practice what you wrote out but for 2nd position (which would be what again?)

p.s. i forgot where middle C is on guitar cuz i haven't practiced reading notes in a looooooong time :cry:

wowwww rephrase? :confused:

middle c = 3rd fret A string. 8th fret E string.

Ahh btw. The thing about the open string sounds is because of my floyd or sth.. Whenever I usually play faster/hit the strings harder, it makes the low E and A strings humm a bit which might sound like I hit open strings.

or maybe your playing just sucked so stfu. i didn't get to see it, but judging by reactions... and if you really were "confident" you would have left it up so etc. man seriously, youre fucking yourself up even worse by justifying.

Also, my amp is just that cheap ass roland 6w amp, and the pickups are pretty damn good so you hear lot of the picking sound. I'm using the bridge pickup on that one.

epic fail :lol:

Also, how could you improve on things that you wanna improve on and are not practising them? Such as sweeps or practising picking by wrist? Also, I have tried to play Kissing the Shadows solos ;) But just the last sweep on the solo for sweep exercise.

run before you can walk etc. i'm guessing you need more strength (stamina), fast twitch muscle, and control.

The equivalent pitch of a piano's Middle C is actually the 5th fret, G string. If you were reading sheet music though, you could play it at the 3rd fret of the A string because we play everything an octave lower than written. It's completely up to the player what octave they play it in but to play middle C on a piano in unison is like I said, 5th fret G string.

I haven't posted here in a while, but I have something that may interest some of you.

As some of you may know, I'm a HUGE Zappa nut. I have a so called "shrine" of Zappa-related stuff such as magazines and newspaper clippings. One of which is the February 1983 issue of Guitar Player magazine with the man himself on the cover.

CRIM0036.jpg

Looking through it once again I discovered a tiny little section of the magazine called "Spotlight: Showcase for new talent" This is like the section where local guitar wizard kids and such write in and send a tape or whatnot and the best get published in the issue. Guess who I found:

CRIM0037.jpg

Paul Fucking Gilbert: Age 15 :lol:

My camera is shitty as hell so I'll transcribe the article..

Guitarist: Paul Gilbert
Style: Heavy Metal
Influences: Edward Van Halen, Jimmy Kidd
Main Guitar: Custom-made Flying V

Paul Began playing guitar at age nine but didn't become serious until about two years later, when he received a Gibson Les Paul and formal lessons as a christmas gift from his parents. A fast learner, Paul began playing in locals groups soon afterwards, and his band Tau Zero currently plays in clubs between Pittsburgh and West Virginia. Paul specializes in two-hand technique and fast pull-offs, and he is able to pick harmonic overtones in rapid succession. His current project is a transcription of Vivaldi's Four Seasons for heavy metal guitar. Paul's original material ranges from bluesy, Pat Travers-like rockers to lush, chordal progressive compositions that remind me of Rush. I'm very impressed with Paul's playing and recommend him to any fan of Van Halen, Randy Rhoads and Michael Schenker. Give him a listen, because this kid's not too far behind! Paul adds: "The music I listen to ranges from the Ramones to U.K. I try to combine the best of both worlds, which is sheer power with killer technique." You can write to Paul c/o Box 299 RD3, Greensburg, PA 15601.

Now, if that isn't enough for the whole fucking magazine.. Right on the next page:

CRIM0039.jpg

Jesus fucking christ it's Yngwie Malmsteen at 19 in the same Spotlight article!

Guitarist: Yngwie Malmsteen
Style: Progressive Heavy Metal
Influences: Ritchie Blackmore, Ulrich Roth, Allan Holdsworth, Al Di Meola
Main Guitar: Modified Fender Strat

A Rocker from an early age, Yngwie began on guitar at seven and acquired his first electric guitar two years later. Ritchie Blackmore was his greatest early influence, causing him to learn "nearly every solo he ever played" and to buy a strat in 1975. He later carved and scalloped the neck in the tradition of Blackmore's guitar. During his developmental years, Yngwie practiced between six and eight hours a day in an effort to attain 100% control of his instrument. His musical influences broadened to include the classical works of J.S. Bach and Beethoven.
In 1978 Yngwie formed Rising Force. Currently the leader, he focuses on songwriting, singing, and flashy guitar playing. A recording enthusiast, he spends many hours in his home four-track studio, composing and recording tracks that feature him as a multi-instrumentalist. On his current demo, his guitar work shines in contexts ranging from heavy metal to progressive space rock, borrowing heavily from Ulrich Roth's groundbreaking diminished and harmonic minor scale work with the Scorpions. Yngwie has both speed and finesse, and could very well be one of the most exciting new rock guitarists around. He says of soloing: "Though it's much harder, I'm always improvising my solos because I think the present feeling in your mind comes into the guitar and the resultis more honest." Correspondence: Yngwie Malmsteen, Lundagatan 39, 11727 Stockholm, Sweden.

These two pages either predicted the future of guitar playing, or caused it. Either way, this is insanely wicked.

I haven't posted here in a while, but I have something that may interest some of you.

As some of you may know, I'm a HUGE Zappa nut. I have a so called "shrine" of Zappa-related stuff such as magazines and newspaper clippings. One of which is the February 1983 issue of Guitar Player magazine with the man himself on the cover.

CRIM0036.jpg

Looking through it once again I discovered a tiny little section of the magazine called "Spotlight: Showcase for new talent" This is like the section where local guitar wizard kids and such write in and send a tape or whatnot and the best get published in the issue. Guess who I found:

CRIM0037.jpg

Paul Fucking Gilbert: Age 15 :lol:

My camera is shitty as hell so I'll transcribe the article..

Guitarist: Paul Gilbert
Style: Heavy Metal
Influences: Edward Van Halen, Jimmy Kidd
Main Guitar: Custom-made Flying V

Paul Began playing guitar at age nine but didn't become serious until about two years later, when he received a Gibson Les Paul and formal lessons as a christmas gift from his parents. A fast learner, Paul began playing in locals groups soon afterwards, and his band Tau Zero currently plays in clubs between Pittsburgh and West Virginia. Paul specializes in two-hand technique and fast pull-offs, and he is able to pick harmonic overtones in rapid succession. His current project is a transcription of Vivaldi's Four Seasons for heavy metal guitar. Paul's original material ranges from bluesy, Pat Travers-like rockers to lush, chordal progressive compositions that remind me of Rush. I'm very impressed with Paul's playing and recommend him to any fan of Van Halen, Randy Rhoads and Michael Schenker. Give him a listen, because this kid's not too far behind! Paul adds: "The music I listen to ranges from the Ramones to U.K. I try to combine the best of both worlds, which is sheer power with killer technique." You can write to Paul c/o Box 299 RD3, Greensburg, PA 15601.

Now, if that isn't enough for the whole fucking magazine.. Right on the next page:

CRIM0039.jpg

Jesus fucking christ it's Yngwie Malmsteen at 19 in the same Spotlight article!

Guitarist: Yngwie Malmsteen
Style: Progressive Heavy Metal
Influences: Ritchie Blackmore, Ulrich Roth, Allan Holdsworth, Al Di Meola
Main Guitar: Modified Fender Strat

A Rocker from an early age, Yngwie began on guitar at seven and acquired his first electric guitar two years later. Ritchie Blackmore was his greatest early influence, causing him to learn "nearly every solo he ever played" and to buy a strat in 1975. He later carved and scalloped the neck in the tradition of Blackmore's guitar. During his developmental years, Yngwie practiced between six and eight hours a day in an effort to attain 100% control of his instrument. His musical influences broadened to include the classical works of J.S. Bach and Beethoven.
In 1978 Yngwie formed Rising Force. Currently the leader, he focuses on songwriting, singing, and flashy guitar playing. A recording enthusiast, he spends many hours in his home four-track studio, composing and recording tracks that feature him as a multi-instrumentalist. On his current demo, his guitar work shines in contexts ranging from heavy metal to progressive space rock, borrowing heavily from Ulrich Roth's groundbreaking diminished and harmonic minor scale work with the Scorpions. Yngwie has both speed and finesse, and could very well be one of the most exciting new rock guitarists around. He says of soloing: "Though it's much harder, I'm always improvising my solos because I think the present feeling in your mind comes into the guitar and the resultis more honest." Correspondence: Yngwie Malmsteen, Lundagatan 39, 11727 Stockholm, Sweden.

These two pages either predicted the future of guitar playing, or caused it. Either way, this is insanely wicked.

Wow, that's really awesome, especially little Paul :lol: Yngwie didn't live too far away from me, or well, from where i live now :cool:

Holy hell thats pretty awesome stuff Brandon, cheers for sharing!

As for hours a day, I used to spend 3-4 hours practicing a day (not as a whole) but now its been a total of 4weeks and 3days of not even touching a guitar :cry: I miss playing so bad, and fuck, I've got another 2-3 weeks to go yet.

wowwww rephrase? :confused:

middle c = 3rd fret A string. 8th fret E string.

or maybe your playing just sucked so stfu. i didn't get to see it, but judging by reactions... and if you really were "confident" you would have left it up so etc. man seriously, youre fucking yourself up even worse by justifying.

epic fail :lol:

run before you can walk etc. i'm guessing you need more strength (stamina), fast twitch muscle, and control.

Uhh? I just uploaded a better version and deleted the other one. Also, why epic fail if I do use the bridge pickup?

Also, I asked to look more @ the technique rather than the solo, and give tips on improving it, what I should do/ what not, am I doing something wrong maybe with my picking or sth? etc. etc.

Heres the better version, that I uploaded afterwards:

Just for the ppl who didn't see it and may wanted to watch

Last edited by a moderator: