Guitar Player's Thread

yeah but it's still not the same thing even theory wise. like applying theory to guitar seems a bit harder than applying it to piano. cuz guitar is about patterns on the fretboard. but on piano, if you know what key you're in, it's much easier to play/compose. on guitar, it takes a while to register what note is where, unless you memorized every single note like you would your address...which takes an experienced player, i would think.

yeah but it's still not the same thing even theory wise. like applying theory to guitar seems a bit harder than applying it to piano. cuz guitar is about patterns on the fretboard. but on piano, if you know what key you're in, it's much easier to play/compose. on guitar, it takes a while to register what note is where, unless you memorized every single note like you would your address...which takes an experienced player, i would think.

no no, not really. i wouuldn't call myself experienced :p

like i said: piano = most visual instrument >4 basic theory

guitar: with a little work can get to be not only most innovative but easier for interdiate theory. but then again, i'm highly guitar biased so...

yeah it looks like i'm just being lazy about the notes on guitar :p. I mean i can name any fret, but it would take a few seconds perhaps.

take a piece of staff paper, and write (yes notes, not tabs) out all the notes on each string. then circle maybe two or three random and pull the frets from the top of your head. you only need to go to the 12th fret because that's the octave and everything repeats (i just think of 12-24 as a "mini guitar." everything you learn can just translate up).

next step: pick a note, say the C first fret B string. find everywhere else you can get the exact same C. and don't take the easy way out by going consecutive strings and just adding 5 to the last number. literally "see" the fretboard, e.g. 15th fret A string, 5th fret G string, 10th fret D string, and so on.

now take a piece of music (pretty simple, notes again not tabs) and play it in first position. then play it in 5th position. maybe then 3rd position, and so on. getting the idea yet? :heh:

I know how to read a staff but I have no desire to improve on sight reading. Seems kind of pointless. Much harder than reading tabs :lol:

yeah i used to do something similar to that before. and now i can name every note in first position without any hesitation at all. like i can actually read music for it. so i'll just practice what you wrote out but for 2nd position (which would be what again?)

p.s. i forgot where middle C is on guitar cuz i haven't practiced reading notes in a looooooong time :cry:

hahahahha. i actually laughed when i first saw your user name. i read it as the english definition of "corny" which is similar to "lame."

Is it your real name?
Fuck, I should change my nick on internationale stuff like UM and myspace. It's just a nickname my friends once derived from my real name. You've added me in MSN, there you can see my real name.

Check out my MULTI-CAM version of...

Silent Night, Bodom Night
Omg, that's funny! At the weekend, I watched the milwaukee clips the first time after a year break. And I thought 'damn, why does noone combine the fucking camera positionsm it's so annoying'. So thanks!

like i said: piano = most visual instrument >4 basic theory
Agreed.

take a piece of staff paper, and write (yes notes, not tabs) out all the notes on each string. then circle maybe two or three random and pull the frets from the top of your head. you only need to go to the 12th fret because that's the octave and everything repeats (i just think of 12-24 as a "mini guitar." everything you learn can just translate up).

next step: pick a note, say the C first fret B string. find everywhere else you can get the exact same C. and don't take the easy way out by going consecutive strings and just adding 5 to the last number. literally "see" the fretboard, e.g. 15th fret A string, 5th fret G string, 10th fret D string, and so on.

now take a piece of music (pretty simple, notes again not tabs) and play it in first position. then play it in 5th position. maybe then 3rd position, and so on. getting the idea yet? :heh:
Agreed too, it's nearly exact what I wrote weeks ago. I suggested taking the standard Donna Lee because there are MORE than many different notes in a (for anti-jazzers) weird order.
Without a tab, you have to figure out by yourself where the notes are which leads to experimenting with different places on the fretboard.
I think this way, as you told, promises much more success than just learn them by heart.
I played Donna Lee (without improvising) and recorded it a while ago, dunno if I posted the link yet:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=665502
If appreciated, I could share the notes.

Pretty good! Short critic after a short overview (sorry, only rhythmvalues and only til bar 7. I could correct a bit more (if necessary) tommorow but uni calls now).
- The g and the a at the end of bar 5 should be more laid back (behind the beat).
- the 16th-triplet at the end of bar 6 should be three normal 16th notes. So on the count-time 4 would be a 16th-pause followed by the three notes you transcribed as triplets.
- Bar 7: Instead of two normal 16th notes on count-time 4, you should choose a 16th triplet. As I said, I've no time to correct the notes, but the last two 16th notes should be descending instead ascending.

Pretty good! Short critic after a short overview (sorry, only rhythmvalues and only til bar 7. I could correct a bit more (if necessary) tommorow but uni calls now).
- The g and the a at the end of bar 5 should be more laid back (behind the beat).
- the 16th-triplet at the end of bar 6 should be three normal 16th notes. So on the count-time 4 would be a 16th-pause followed by the three notes you transcribed as triplets.
- Bar 7: Instead of two normal 16th notes on count-time 4, you should choose a 16th triplet. As I said, I've no time to correct the notes, but the last two 16th notes should be descending instead ascending.

Thanks for looking at it, i've corrected the stuff you mentioned. :cool:

No, we're not serious. I'm terribly sorry but that was horrendous. If you managed to hit the right notes, play in time and not hit an unbearable amount of open strings, it wouldn't be too bad...but you're evidently NOT READY FOR THIS KIND OF GUITAR PLAYING YET. Please don't give us this "I can play it 100% perfect" stuff because I really won't believe it at all.

I strongly suggest you cut out the COB from the practise scedule and aim for something easy like some simple chords, simple chords and Drop D powerchord songs. Build a good rhythm, get used to playing chords quickly and simple lines on the higher strings but for the love of fucking shit, do not try to play the Kissing the Shadows solos!!!!

Ahh btw. The thing about the open string sounds is because of my floyd or sth.. Whenever I usually play faster/hit the strings harder, it makes the low E and A strings humm a bit which might sound like I hit open strings. Also, my amp is just that cheap ass roland 6w amp, and the pickups are pretty damn good so you hear lot of the picking sound. I'm using the bridge pickup on that one.

Also, how could you improve on things that you wanna improve on and are not practising them? Such as sweeps or practising picking by wrist? Also, I have tried to play Kissing the Shadows solos ;) But just the last sweep on the solo for sweep exercise.

Ahh btw. The thing about the open string sounds is because of my floyd or sth.. Whenever I usually play faster/hit the strings harder, it makes the low E and A strings humm a bit which might sound like I hit open strings. Also, my amp is just that cheap ass roland 6w amp, and the pickups are pretty damn good so you hear lot of the picking sound. I'm using the bridge pickup on that one.

Oh god not another one who blames everytihng but their playing -_-

Well if it was what i thought it was he meant it was fret buzz...in that case maybe hed need to higher his action or buy another gauge of strings. My MMV had incredibly annoying fretbuzz at any fuckin settings...it still has :lol: (my friend has it now so ive palyed it a couple of times after i sold it)

Well if it was what i thought it was he meant it was fret buzz...in that case maybe hed need to higher his action or buy another gauge of strings. My MMV had incredibly annoying fretbuzz at any fuckin settings...it still has :lol: (my friend has it now so ive palyed it a couple of times after i sold it)

He said "hum" and "sounds like open strings". Fret buzz sounds nothing like that.

^^Yeah well i just considered it a possibilty but its a mean fact the MMV had some fret buzz of higher level...maybe some setups were wrong since i SUCKED at guitar and SUCKED at setting up when i had it. Now i can honestly say i can play decently...not great though. Room for lots of improvement but i can play decently and set up my guitar so its good.

It's seriously it lol. Myself bothers a bit that I can hear alot of the picking sound,
but I think I have the thing setted up as it should be tho. And btw, it was just the answer to Mitch's "hits lot open strings" thing. I'm gonna look a bit later about if I could "fix" it up.

YOu should try to learn string skipping patterns and Chromatic scales to improve picking...i did. Helped me loads! And try to play them alternate picking so it will improve accuracy and picking on the same time! IN fact...its all picking:lol: Well it will improve fretfingering too.

YOu should try to learn string skipping patterns and Chromatic scales to improve picking...i did. Helped me loads! And try to play them alternate picking so it will improve accuracy and picking on the same time! IN fact...its all picking:lol: Well it will improve fretfingering too.

Aight I'll check that stuff out then