Guitar Player's Thread

Yeah exactly, and i know Mitch did it with his Ibanez and Jackson, so there you go! Speaking of Xiphoses and Muhammed. The necrophagist page hasn't been updated since July and the forum hasn't been up since like 1 year or more, even though it says they're going to host a new one soon :erk:

I thought for some time that someone should contact Deron and try to make the Necro forum a part of UM, would be kewl.

He thinks too much about what notes he's playing and practically forgets how to play them. There are more rythms than just the "constant flow", that he plays every time i've heard him.

He thinks too much about what notes he's playing and practically forgets how to play them. There are more rythms than just the "constant flow", that he plays every time i've heard him.

I know what you mean but you probably haven't heard his solo work. Might be 'boring' to some but the melodies are fantastic. I personally love Friedman's style and improvisation.

can someone explain to me why I get better tone with my amp when I plug my headphones into it? When I'm practicing through my headphones, the tone is so much more crisp and chunky. But when I'm just practicing (or recording for that matter) just through the speaker itself, the tone is complete crap. What's the reason behind this?

Could be two things:

1. The speaker IS crap.
2. If you play more often with headphones, you've probably developed a preference for that, even if subconsciously. Lately, I play/practice with headphones 95% of the time, and there's definitely an adjustment period when I play with a "real" amp. I think the reason might be that with headphones, the sound is right there in your ears, and there is virtually no delay between the time you play a note and when you hear it. When you play with a "real" amp, your ears are exponentially farther from the sound source, than if you were wearing headphones. The delay is almost imperceptible, and most people would say this is bullshit, but I think it does make a difference.

Also, if I play with a different amp than the one I normally use, I get thrown off and think - that doesn't sound like me, and I don't play as well.

I usually don't practice with headphones, so I'm actually more accustomed to the crappy speaker sound. When I do use the headphones, the contrasted tones are really palpable. And the distance from the speaker to my ear is literally like only 2 feet at the most. So I guess it's because the sound is more compressed thru headphones AND my speaker is crap.

http://blogs.guitarworld.com/metalkult/videos/nile-the-metalkult-interview/

Nile video interview. Karl Sanders is such a fucking retard! :lol: It's the first time I've heard him speak.

Dallas is awesome though. Watch the "Dallas What Are You Tuned To" section.

"all my effects are like, after the amp because i dont want anything between me and the notes, i mean there's not even a fucking volume knob here man!"

wtf :lol:

He was annoying as hell IMO. So agreed on that. Also his shirt is fucking ugly!:lol: Looks like a damn poncho or something...

are you a chick under there or something?

can someone explain to me why I get better tone with my amp when I plug my headphones into it? When I'm practicing through my headphones, the tone is so much more crisp and chunky. But when I'm just practicing (or recording for that matter) just through the speaker itself, the tone is complete crap. What's the reason behind this?

well, do you know the purpose of buying studio monitors/headphones for mixing/mastering audio? most consumer speakers/headphones maybe add a little treble, subtract a little bass, or what have you, in an attempt to create the best quality sound for your current audio. However, even though this may be an improvement (high quality bose vs cheap ass target brand shit), it distorts the sound. studio monitors give you (hopefully, if they're good quality) the truest reproduction of the sound without anything really added to it. So as where good speakers/headphones make their own additions for added sound quality, studio monitors subtract virtually everything and just give you the raw sound. if you mixed/mastered on headphones/regular computer speakers, you might get it to sound great on your personal gear, but you go to play it through your car, or your friend's stereo, and it might sound like shit because you mastered the audio on a distorted channel. same with your amplifier, i'm thinking. you've perfected (or whatever) your tone through your distorted headphones, but they're jsut that; distorted. to acheive the same tone, try and work the the knobs without phones. at least memorize how to get good tone just from your speaker, so that way when you ahve to perform, you know how to make your guitar sound good, even if you have to practice with phones in (i know how this is :p).