Guitar Player's Thread

idk what urks me about the whole thing is most of the tones of everyone but of course its hard to get a good recording tone. but sometimes it ruins the solo. none of them really stood out to me honestly

inhe: a while back you were saying something about changing your picking style like MJR

idk what urks me about the whole thing is most of the tones of everyone but of course its hard to get a good recording tone. but sometimes it ruins the solo. none of them really stood out to me honestly

Seriously dude, if a tone like Mitch's is not something that stands out (also consider that is home recording) you need to listen to it again. Of course there are tones and tones, and if I had dared to record with my actual set up your ears would've end up bleeding even if it was Steve Vai playing, but some tones in the Jam were really good considering that it's home recording (f.e. Inhe's, Mitch's, Earth Breather's....).

inhe: a while back you were saying something about changing your picking style like MJR

It was actually Paul Gilbert, i did post a recording of me doing some Michael Romeo style tapping.

hey i really want some help with my speed picking. im fairly good at it now, and my speed is pretty good but im not good at doing runs up all over the board, i even have trouble doing that lick in SNBN just the scale run. i know i just need to take it slow etc. etc. i know how to do that but sometimes (i know inhe said) said that there changing there picking technique to michael romeo or some other guitarist what are some really good ways that you guys pick? i hope you guys understand

You answered your own question. I don't care if I sound rude but that is a dumb question because there is only one way to get better, and that is practice. About the picking technique thing, you can pretty much hold the pick any way, there are many examples of players. I would however suggest trying "circular picking", using thumb and index finger movements as opposed to strictly wrist.

awesome mitch!

hey i really want some help with my speed picking. im fairly good at it now, and my speed is pretty good but im not good at doing runs up all over the board, i even have trouble doing that lick in SNBN just the scale run. i know i just need to take it slow etc. etc. i know how to do that but sometimes (i know inhe said) said that there changing there picking technique to michael romeo or some other guitarist what are some really good ways that you guys pick? i hope you guys understand

actually, that was me.

watch this:

you now have your picking bible. things to notice:

- orientation of thumb joint (see how its popped in, and hes catching that back edge?)
- watch how he "pulls" on the pick with his index finger for the upstroke, and pushes with his thumb for the downstroke. also when he pushes, it's from that first knuckle at the base of the thumb.
- relaxation of other fingers. yes his 3rd finger is raised, but it's relaxed. complete and total relaxation is the key to speed
- when he goes from string to string, his entire hand moves. don't just turn your wrist, move your whole hand as one unit.
- the angle of his wrist. it's completely straight. bends in your wrist compromise the efficiency of your motion, and consequently make you slower.
- relaxation, and angle of his arm in relation to the guitar. dont tense your forearm, bicep/tricep, shoulder, etc at all. again, complete relaxation.

any more questions, probably PM me because I don't check this board nearly as much as I previously have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT:FUCK LONG READ! SRY!

True. If i had my bass over halfways or even halfways the whole room would shake during bandpractice :lol: I usually just tell my drummer to put in the settings that cuts through to him best and play :lol: Even though my own settings would be like Mids:7-10...depending Treble:7 bass:2-3 or none Gain: 75%. At bedroom levels i usually keep it the same but turn down the Treble and up with the bass. Mids are always at 6-7 then too. I use my MXR to sort out the things that displeases me and add the "soft" punch with the Overdrive pedal.

Someone said here some time ago that overdrives are pure shit that the distortion from the amp is the best you can get. I just have to reply that did you really think OD is same as Distortion pedal?. Id call using a OD more to bring forwards stronger boost into the tone but it keeps the tone of the amps distortion(doesn't color it much). SO if the amp distortion is complete bullshit it wont help. Also i noticed it sounds like pure shit through my peavey so no solid states either id guess :lol: God i hate those kids that go and review overdrive pedals and say like "this distortion pedal suckz...its only for faggoty blues and jazz...GET BOSS METALZONE FOR METAL!!!!1111" :lol: It's even worse if the player has playd 20+ years

Going to ship my Randall to thomann for tube change next week. Turned out the tubes have to be busted...no other options left. Tried borrowing new cables from a friend but no sucess and i mailed thomann and they told me i should call UPS and they would pick it up and ship it to warranty repair...its free so what do i got to loose?
EDIT2:There is nothing wrong with the sound but the amp keeps turning down volume/gain randomly. Sounds like the tubes are finished to me but thats just me.

i own a metal zone dipshit.

you wanted to use an OD to mask your amp's distortion. i said that nothing beats a great amp running dry. sure OD has subtle uses, but not what you were looking for (i.e. complete tone overhaul).

i also said if you weren't pushing the mids i'm not surprised you hate your tone. but hey, what the hell do i know.

end of conversation.

i dont trust weird russian guitar companies.

wow i never realized how many people hated the usa alexi :erk: besides me :lol:
wtf dude? this guy is not russian, not all the customshops that i find are russians, infact i am aware of only one of those!
i am not forcing you to buy nor any one
but if any one thinks or looks in to getting something custom he or she has some info and some choices to look at and make from

@mitch
thanks for the updated version (i do like it and the way it was performed ;) )

COBOT Forum Jam #3

This is the new version with PHEONIX's solo added, CORNY's solo added, and CONTI's solo corrected. I hope this is the final edit that I have to make.

† Download MP3 †
† Stream @ Soundclick.com †

Tracklist:

• Fetzer
• flyingv_guy
• Ruins
• Inhe
• Corny
• Pheonix
• Mystique
• <-Warheart->
• Earth Breather
• Dave100
• Conti

Thanks for that Mitch. I owe you one, I'll buy you a beer at Astoria or something. :)

COBOT Forum Jam #3

This is the new version with PHEONIX's solo added, CORNY's solo added, and CONTI's solo corrected. I hope this is the final edit that I have to make.

† Download MP3 †
† Stream @ Soundclick.com †

Tracklist:

• Fetzer
• flyingv_guy
• Ruins
• Inhe
• Corny
• Pheonix
• Mystique
• <-Warheart->
• Earth Breather
• Dave100
• Conti

yeah I think Mitch does have the best tone in here.
And Corny, I think you were born to play jazz :p

Fuck you! Damn, I'll fucking METAL UP the next jam. :lol: ;)

However, thanks for adding, Mitch!

EDIT: I just relistened and I just recognized how amazing Ruin's solo is!

btw, Mitch: You didn't double your solo, did you? I stole your settings you gave to Inhe, but sadly they sounded shit with my guitar and my fingers. So the endless search for good tone goes on...

I'm glad that it was worth my time redoing the whole thing. :)

Corny: I didn't double my solo nah. I just use Chorus 2 to give it that stereo effect. I uploaded samples for Inhe demonstrating what both choruses sound like to me but it doesn't seem to work for him either.

I'll try to add some chorus. What kept me away from using it so far was, that it makes long tied notes sound slightly out of tune. And I hate everything out of tune.

But well, everyone with a good tone seems to use it. I probably have to play around with it a bit.

------
Happy birthday, Alice Cooper :kickass:

I know what you mean, but even if u just turn it on and have it at like 0.12, it still has the same stereo effect I think.

phpXMi9EK.jpg

woops lol crap grammer :)

I LOVE MY GUITAR!

as for your question...Ran is gonna be pretty cheap if you want a low-key custom. even esp/jackson you could send in the same specs as one of their normal models w/ maybe a couple add ons and it'll be upwards of 4k mainly because its the real ESP or Jackson name and the quality is amazing. so if you get a custom really go crazy :lol: you only live once. and KXK and Carvin have a lot of features that you can add on to their guitars w/o paying for a totally custom guitar

If you would love your guitar you would also love the USA Alexi:lol: They are the EXACTLY same shapes and colors man!:lol:

Shit...didn't notice. Give me a fuckin break i just came home from school and im fuckin tired :lol: Well i don't like the USA alexi Shape. I like V shape as in Razorback V and maybe Jackson king V but Alexi "almost-king-v" is a no-no :lol: