Guitar Player's Thread

I have a Guitar Pro question also, why isn't there any sound at all? :lol: I think this has to do with that midi piano game I downloaded but I'm not absolutely sure. I'll try restarting my computer.

Nevermind, the "SW Synth" volume was turned down :lol:

Get an audio recorder, set it to record your soundcard, and hit record while playing the flv.

That never gives me good results :Spin: Unless I have been doing it wrong (records from the built-in sound card mic).

When I do it, it sounds exactly like the "original". Maybe your sound card isn't as good or you've got the recording bitrate level too low.

When I do it, it sounds exactly like the "original". Maybe your sound card isn't as good or you've got the recording bitrate level too low.

I installed Audacity and got MUCH better results. My recording is still not like the original, it has much more fuzz and crackling. Is this possibly because of bitrate? Oh, and my soundcard is unfortunately shitty :erk:

Maybe the input level is too high and it's clipping. If not, then it's probably the soundcard.

I'd check the bitrate too but usually, they're default settings are decent enough, 192 at least.

Got it to sound good! All I had to do was mess with the 'output' and 'input' volume levels.

EDIT- Yeah, you were right :lol: Even though I figured out myself.

Actually, no! :lol: Cob666 did that already. I'm ripping the audio from Paul Gilbert's demonstrations in the latest Young Guitar issue featuring him.

I didn't know where to ask this question but here it is anyways:

How do you extract audio from a .flv file?

You probably got it done already but for future reference....I prefer extracting original audio track from inside .flv file because most often it's in mp3 format already. Decoding, recording and encoding back to mp3 just degrades quality unnecessarily. You can extract mp3 track from .flv for example with FLV Extract (it requires .NET Framework 2.0 installed to your machine). And you can find other similar softwares if you google "extract mp3 from flv" or something like that :).

guys I need some advice on how to control my picking speed. Sometimes I can't pick fast enough, and when I try picking faster I relax my hand a little and I pick too fast. I need some exercises to help me control and improve my picking.
as mitch said Metronom and here how to use it:
set your self some speed that you are comfortable and able to play with without effort.
start playing accents of 4 and pronounce it. it is important to do so because it will force your brain to work and more accurate and focus on the task you challenge him to

play: 1 2 3 4 and pronounce it the same way. make sure that what you pronounce indeed sounds the same way as what you play

make sure your picking patern is the same down up down up

after 10 min of constant exercise try to apply this on different strings
start from simple patterns
after another 10 min try something like 1 2 3 4 and 1 2 3 4 and 1 2 3 4
now try to play it without any accents at all that it will sound fluent and even. this is hard i know but you will get over this problem in couple daysafter that increase speed by 10 bpm more and see if you are still able to do so
give your self a challenge to do atleast 30 min a day with this exercise and you will notice your improvement just in a mater of one weak
it will take you some time to be able to do the same at speed of 180 and beyond but nothing is impossible all you need to do is to be determine to achieve it.

have fun.

Good point. I've only got a few submissions so far.

If you guys want to do it, fucking record a solo!
i think i will stick to my twisted version that i already posted
i will try to do some solos but as i said before my guitar skills are not as good as i would like them to be

there are many ways. for me i would call it having "smart fun" with it
knowing what could work in what situations and simply fuck around with it in an interesting way.

few advices how to make your won:
listen how your favorite guitar players do it try to simplify everything they do in to something very basic to understand what tricks they used to achieve their solo
there is always some very simple melodic progression going on that they take and make more complicated
musical theory is no always the most important thing even though it helps allot. if you hear it, feel it, you will know how to make it right.
some one already will be able to explain why and what ever you did sounded right

as mitch said Metronom and here how to use it:
set your self some speed that you are comfortable and able to play with without effort.
start playing accents of 4 and pronounce it. it is important to do so because it will force your brain to work and more accurate and focus on the task you challenge him to

play: 1 2 3 4 and pronounce it the same way. make sure that what you pronounce indeed sounds the same way as what you play

make sure your picking patern is the same down up down up

after 10 min of constant exercise try to apply this on different strings
start from simple patterns
after another 10 min try something like 1 2 3 4 and 1 2 3 4 and 1 2 3 4
now try to play it without any accents at all that it will sound fluent and even. this is hard i know but you will get over this problem in couple daysafter that increase speed by 10 bpm more and see if you are still able to do so
give your self a challenge to do atleast 30 min a day with this exercise and you will notice your improvement just in a mater of one weak
it will take you some time to be able to do the same at speed of 180 and beyond but nothing is impossible all you need to do is to be determine to achieve it.

have fun.

Thanks Ruins :)

I know this is random seeing as I don't post in this thread. But I was on my lunch break at work so I went to the music store to check out their Rhoads. And I noticed the inputs are on different fins on different models. What is better? Because the way I've seen guys hold their Jacksons, it would be pretty annoying to be stabbed in the leg with a guitar lead and it could damage the cable? So what is better?

^Definetly Upper wing. The MMV 06 i had had its input in the fuckin lower wing. I could sometimes have a bruise from a sharper cable on my fuckin thigh. Yes the cable would have to bend so it could break the stuff in the cable so it would definetly be a disadvantage. Upper wing FTW!

^Okay thanks heaps dude. I've only played a Rhoads once and that was without it plugged in. I'm interested in this Pro Series RR5 but a little concerned about it not having a floyd rose and heaps of cheap looking gold on it. Would there be a better alternative to a white rhoads with dual pickup and possibly a floyd rose. I haven't actually played floyd rose properly so I don't know if there is much difference and all that stuff.

Edit: What are your guys thoughts on buying a signature model of a guitar without even liking the band or guy? I'm considering it but wondering if I would get shit from other guitarist.

^RR5 is fucking ace...so is Kevin Bond Rhoads. Well you are going to be arsed with changing tunings on your floyd rose guitar and if you dont use it it's actually just extra work. The adjustments and shit can get you really pissed.

Answer to edit: I would not mind...it can still be a kickass guitar so! Then it does not matter.