Guitar Player's Thread

I practice half the time with a metronome, and the other without, it's easy to forget about tone, tension and similar things when practicing with a metronome, and only think about the timing, this is just my expercience though.

I don't use metronomes at all anymore, I feel I have aquired my own sense of correct timing. As for practicing position, I practice a lot sitting down as it's less straining, however I also play standing up a lot to because I love pretending I'm on stage in front of a crowd, even if I am just pissing around in my room :lol: Although in all seriousness, playing standing up is so much different and its useful to find out what postions are most comfortable to play certain riffs/licks.

I don't have patience to practice with a metronome nowadays(think it's kinda boring), but I used to do it alot in the past. It's definately good for your timing.

Pђoenix;7154145 said:
I don't use metronomes at all anymore, I feel I have aquired my own sense of correct timing.

Exactly. Even if you(speaking in general) don't pratice with a metronome, i think it's good to use it once a while to "check" if you actually can play on time.

I practice half the time with a metronome, and the other without, it's easy to forget about tone, tension and similar things when practicing with a metronome, and only think about the timing, this is just my expercience though.

I don't like metronome, I hardly use it. But I spend hours in front of GP, so I can keep timin quite ok, :lol:

Pђoenix;7154145 said:
I don't use metronomes at all anymore, I feel I have aquired my own sense of correct timing. As for practicing position, I practice a lot sitting down as it's less straining, however I also play standing up a lot to because I love pretending I'm on stage in front of a crowd, even if I am just pissing around in my room :lol: Although in all seriousness, playing standing up is so much different and its useful to find out what postions are most comfortable to play certain riffs/licks.

:lol::lol: I like to do that too. Also I like to keep trying positions and, the most important for me, height of the guitar (or lenght of the strap if you prefer it). I used to play my Ibanez in a Petrucci-Liimatainen kind of height, but with the RR I prefer a Roope-Alexi(nowadays) height, it feels more comfortable. Also for solos, if you have a stage monitor to put your foot on, the position Alexi uses is the most comfortable, because you get the guitar in the most similar way to playing sitting down. That of course is all my opinion and for my style, and also that positions sucks for rythm playing, the first frets are way too high to play comfortable.

Exactly. Even if you(speaking in general) don't pratice with a metronome, i think it's good to use it once a while to "check" if you actually can play on time.

Agreed.

I just "finished" another one of my "compositions".

I started writing it when I was playing my RG in the bathroom, sitting on the edge of the bath lol. But then, I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do so it's basically a giant guitar solo in loads of different keys but the main melody comes back later on.

The tones are crappy and the solos are crappy but I've been meaning to record it ever since I wrote it so I did while I've got a day off.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/l7vrv8

I'm sure I could edit it one day but for now, this'll do.

Mitch and crappy don't go together dude, nice work :kickass:. I liked it a lot.

It reminded me of some Racer X songs, mixed with Bodom, if that makes any sense :p.

Edit: Reminded me of some Jason Becker too.

@Swabs: Got my ticket sitting upstairs. :D

And to Jose & Squeee, thanks for the comments, means alot, although I get annoyed when I can't think of anything to go after good bits and I end up just wasting seconds with shred.

Oh yeah, AND THE FORUM JAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOMORROW IS THE DEADLINE. I WILL FINISH IT UP AS SOON AS I HAVE RECORDED MY SOLO, WHICH WILL BE IN ABOUT 20 HOURS OR SO.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO JUMP IN AT THE LAST MINUTE, HURRY, INFO IS IN MY SIG!!!