• NorthernShred (and friends)
• dave100
• Arcane
• Conti
• Children of COB
• Mystique
&#8226; <-Warheart->
&#8226; Altitudes (if he's done soon)

Hey Jose, can you send me your solo again? I can't seem to find it. Cheers!!

Uploading on Sendspace atm, it'll be in your PM inbox in some minutes.

EDIT: Check p.m.

As orcy_uk wanted me to, i made a vid about the EMG-PA2.

I can remember Warheart doing something similar, but anywhoo.

Apologizes for the sloppy playing :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, so all its good for is mudding up the tone

Woulda guessed it though. Im guessing you leave it off all the time? Your "off" tone sounded pretty good

Ugh, so all its good for is mudding up the tone

Woulda guessed it though. Im guessing you leave it off all the time? Your "off" tone sounded pretty good

Yeah i mostly have it off, i really don't see the point in gainboosters really. If you want more gain, turn it up on your pedal/effect/amp. :)

yeah deff

Though i want gainboosters, like, not pure gain, but with added EQ and shit. To colour the tone.

Currently i use a DS-2 to color the tone, and its surprising how much it actually does. Subtle dist and level on max, abit of mid tone boost, and hte EQ filter on II(equals something like, midboost to fuck). Great for leads, and pretty good for rythm too, although i sometimes feel i like abit chug

The PA-2 is shit, I never have it on. Except that Touch Like Angel Of Death solo vid I did, I had it on then for some reason.

I'm a raw beginner in equipment and such, i have 2 questions for you experienced players :)

1. Noise gates. Are they worth it? A guy at the local music store says noise gates are only for naive kids who knows jack about amp/tones.
But my school-music teacher, who plays in a metal band, says it helps alot and it is very useful.
I have yet to try one, but i want to believe in my music teacher, he seems to know alot. Thinking that hi-gain tone = noise + noise gate = win?
Question is.. Is it worth getting one? I was thinking about the Rocktron HUSH or the ISP Decimator that some say is alot better:).

2. EQ pedals. Heard from various persons i know that it will completely change your tone for the better.
Worth getting if you have the dough, and from experience, what would you recommend?:)

Please don't mock my quest for information and opinions. :)

1. Noise gates. Are they worth it?

Yes, the guy at your local music store is a douche.

Noise Gates are great, I don't see why anyone would want to spend ages adjusting their tone and amp settings in order to cut out noise, when they could just buy a Noise Gate and have whatever tone they want.

Yes, the guy at your local music store is a douche.

Noise Gates are great, I don't see why anyone would want to spend ages adjusting their tone and amp settings in order to cut out noise, when they could just buy a Noise Gate and have whatever tone they want.

Thanks dude! :)

Yeah my music teacher also said "That guy doesn't now wtf he is talking about.." :lol:

Do you own any?

@Swabs: Well it can be good in order not to loose any small detail of your tone, but with a good NR (ISP Decimator f.e.) almost nothing is lost and it helps a lot. I'm still saving for the ESP Decimator. Not in any hurry as I have no gigs atm (maybe one in may, but I can pull it of without a NR or with the built-in of my Korg) and I don't need it for the recordings of the demo.

Did any of you guys check out my MM-04 Clips where i recorded all the different possible Dip Switch settings, clean and with distortion?

Re-post just incase you missed it

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yobso3

I made sound clips of every possible dip switch combination with No Gain boost added, so you can see how the MM-04/JE1000 colors the tone of your pickups.

All these clips are with a J50BC pickup

I recorded the same E major chord for each clip,
For each clip I recorded the guitar's Direct Signal with a DI so your hearing just the sound of the guitar without any additional EQ or effects.
I then took a copy of that clip and applied Amp Modeling to the DI clip so you could get an idea of how it would sound through an amplifier with some distortion.
I chose to use amp modeling and DI because it is consistent every time i load the preset i made for this demonstration: The only variable between clips is the dip switch selection on the MM-04 and maybe little variations in how hard im picking.

So For each MM-04 Dip Switch clip there will be a clean DI chord followed by an Amp Modeled chord.

The MM-04 manual does not say the exact effects of the dipswitch combinations, but it says that it changes the tone from these frequencies and in this order

4 / 3 / 3+4 / 2 / 2+4 / 2+3 / 2+3+4
5kHz------- to ----------------2Khz

Apparently "Dip Switch #1 is not effective" so im guessing they only set it up to use 3 switches just like the JE-1000, but could only get dip switch boxes with 4 switches

I'm a raw beginner in equipment and such, i have 2 questions for you experienced players :)

1. Noise gates. Are they worth it? A guy at the local music store says noise gates are only for naive kids who knows jack about amp/tones.
But my school-music teacher, who plays in a metal band, says it helps alot and it is very useful.
I have yet to try one, but i want to believe in my music teacher, he seems to know alot. Thinking that hi-gain tone = noise + noise gate = win?
Question is.. Is it worth getting one? I was thinking about the Rocktron HUSH or the ISP Decimator that some say is alot better:).

2. EQ pedals. Heard from various persons i know that it will completely change your tone for the better.
Worth getting if you have the dough, and from experience, what would you recommend?:)

Please don't mock my quest for information and opinions. :)

it depends on the amp, if your amp is obviously very noisy then a noise gate can help a lot. but dont turn it up all the way because it can kill your sustain and overall tone.

and eq pedals are great i use it for live settings. mainly as a boost. i have the mxr 10 band eq (great one to get) and i just have all the mids boosted so when i solo you can hear it. but for other purposes your can get an amazing scooped sound from it or anything else

EDIT: some cool sweeps i've been messin around with