Guitar Player's Thread

Question for you guys (and mystique :p ):
I play in this new band and so I have to get into live shape again after one year without concerts. So you all know, that playing the guitar standing is harder than playing it sitting IF you want to look cool and not like a Jazz artist or John Petrucci.

So it hangs pretty low at the moment, right in front of my balls, the typical Zakk Wylde position. It looks a lot cooler than the old Alexi 2001 position, but my playing is sloppier, at least during the hard parts.

What should I do, how do you solve this issue? :/

I play in this new band and so I have to get into live shape again after one year without concerts. So you all know, that playing the guitar standing is harder than playing it sitting IF you want to look cool and not like a Jazz artist or John Petrucci.

So it hangs pretty low at the moment, right in front of my balls, the typical Zakk Wylde position. It looks a lot cooler than the old Alexi 2001 position, but my playing is sloppier, at least during the hard parts.

Play with it high, then slowly lower when you get comfortable untill you have it where you want.

I almost always practice standing up, and when practicing songs, I also practice stage moves :lol:. I'm always able to sit down with it (I site classical position) but also stand up in this way.

^will do recordings some time.

I've got my Shure mic, I just need to borrow a mic preamp. Maybe I'll start by just recording video :p

I'll do some stuff when I've assembled my next guitar (maybe some before...but I know I want to when that is assembled) with the Stan Hinesley custom humbucker.

It will kick major ass :p

Live playing shall be a breeze :D

Do any of you here have big aspirations of being a proffessional touring musician?
I think it would be fun...

I'd love it, but in my country making a living out of metal music is literally impossible. Maybe with rock and roll, but even though I enjoy playing rock, pop and whatever live, I wouldn't like to tour with a rock band or a pop band, because I'd get tired so easily. So even though I'd love it, I won't be able no matter how hard I try.

I myself want to be a recording engineer and own my own studio. My ideal future would be to tour in a band, but schedule recording projects around the band's touring schedule.

Good luck with it man. I had the same idea, but I've always hated physics, and engineering=physics, so I'm out of there.

yeah, and berklee is way more prestigious, it's just extremely hard to get in. i know im set for college money-wise (rich g-pa ftw) but im going to audition for it and its just so fucking hard to get in and i gotta learn all this theory shit now and learn classical and jazz etc.

bleh

Don't complain about it, you'll become a much more mature player and you'll have way more abilities and technique if you know how to play every style.

thats really cool. i'm always working on a bunch of new stuff, i have 3 or 4 sinergy/firewind/symphony x style songs in the works. i have some stuff recorded, only one is good though. i have nothing to record with yet so :(

Record some and show us man, I've always wondered why do you never come to threads like the Cover Thread on the On Topic section or the Gues The Riff game here on COBOT. You play great, and we need more people participating in those threads, so why don't you get Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition (is the smaller program but works great) and join us? I can send you CEP+crack, and it's only 16MB.

I don't want to be a professional musician.
There are only a few guitar players that could live from the album sellings and tours. The rest has to be a guitar teacher or is jobless. Look at Jari from Wintersun for example.
Even if I had the chance to join COB I think after the first tours I would be so much annoyed of playing the same songs all the time and not being able to be on my own. You can't see your family and your wife for the touring time.

I planning to get a "real" job like engineer and not so famous band. For it's much more important to have cool guys (or good looking girls ;)) in the band than getting a record deal and tour all over the world.

That's true, but I don't see why you can't have cool members+a record deal, :lol:

My advice is simple: play higher. I know that looking cool onstage is nice, but you can't play worse to look cooler, at least thats what I think. I play nowadays somewhere around Alexi's old position and actual one. I'd say more or less the same height as on the Seoul and Korea vid. I've played higher (Deadnight Warrior video alike, and it was teh fucking lulz :lol:) and lower (like he plays now, and I couldn't play a single solo properly), but that height is just the one that feels more comfortable to me. What I do is compensate this maybe not so cool height with loads of headbanging and moving and all that shit.

Here you go, that's how I have my guitar atm:

Yofondo.jpg

And that's an example of stupid stuff I do to ''compensate'' the lack of coolness of the guitar height (as you can see, it works, :lol:)

BringerofPainAverno-30.jpg

Jose, I did all this stuff last year, when I had my guitar higher, but now, I'm a fucking SHORT HAIRED LOOSER!!!

I don't know what to do on stage, seriously. I think the only solution is to play nude.

I see nothing less cool about holding the guitar at Alexi's old position (Jose's pictured position). In fact I think it looks a lot tighter and I wish more people played like that. The lower look is so overdone these days and in my eyes has no reason to "look cooler." All it's good for is straining your wrists, breaking your back, and causing tendonitis/carpal tunnel.

Jose, I did all this stuff last year, when I had my guitar higher, but now, I'm a fucking SHORT HAIRED LOOSER!!!

I don't know what to do on stage, seriously. I think the only solution is to play nude.

Have it at the same position as PG, he had short hair once, and looked baddass. Ahem not to forget that other short haired loser of necrophagist :p

+ I agree with the eveningninja the low look does seem overdone.

Personally I think that having it chest height like Suicmez and Petrucci looks more professional and therefore "cooler"... However I suppose certain shapes of guitars look cooler in other positions.

inb4: "its not about looking coooooool its about the music maaaaaan!"

Actually stage presence is very important, if the band look interesting on stage that can greatly effect the audiences enjoyment.

A)Can i have help with how the fuck to use Reaper- midi backing exported from GP doesnt play back and B) there is horrible lag between me playing a note, and hearing it- helps?!

okay at first i didn't want to post because I awaited better answers from other users.

A) Try to load the GP midi in fruity loops and add instruments for the tracks (search this thread/tab thread for further information)

B) It's called latency. it depends on your sound card. you can try asio for all to lower the latency.

^exodus shirt:kickass:

Aye :kickass: I'm seeing them tomorrow :kickass::kickass::kickass:

Lol at the short haired looser part, :lol:, but...

your answer is this dude:

OMFG Kerry The Fuking King!

slayer_800x600.jpg

Bald as a light bulb, cooler than the whole Metallica lot together when they played good music.

I see nothing less cool about holding the guitar at Alexi's old position (Jose's pictured position). In fact I think it looks a lot tighter and I wish more people played like that. The lower look is so overdone these days and in my eyes has no reason to "look cooler." All it's good for is straining your wrists, breaking your back, and causing tendonitis/carpal tunnel.

I agree with all you said man.

Pђoenix;7494439 said:
Have it at the same position as PG, he had short hair once, and looked baddass. Ahem not to forget that other short haired loser of necrophagist :p

+ I agree with the eveningninja the low look does seem overdone.

:lol: OMG Muhamed fanboi!!one!!1! :lol:

I'm joking, I'm joking :lol:

Personally I think that having it chest height like Suicmez and Petrucci looks more professional and therefore "cooler"... However I suppose certain shapes of guitars look cooler in other positions.

inb4: "its not about looking coooooool its about the music maaaaaan!"

Actually stage presence is very important, if the band look interesting on stage that can greatly effect the audiences enjoyment.

I would say that professional doesn't always mean cooler. John Myung is very professional, but he's the most goddamn boring band member on the whole earth. Petrucci is different because he looks like Rambo or something and say cool or say funny, but he's entretaining to watch. But I think the guitar height has to be the one that is comfortable to you, not the one that looks cool. I myself can't play with the guitar like Petrucci 10 years ago, it feels so uncomfortable. The same as Alexi's last tour height.