Guitar Player's Thread

:lol:
I flicked it and it came loose but thank you for replying, turns out it was gummed up with grease and dead things :puke: - left the string on for a few months too many, but tuning and restringing floating bridges sucks men.

LOOKS DOUBLE POST :erk:

it kinda sucks. but I find it exciting at the same time. yeah, I'm a geek :eek:

:lol:
I flicked it and it came loose but thank you for replying, turns out it was gummed up with grease and dead things :puke: - left the string on for a few months too many, but tuning and restringing floating bridges sucks men.

LOOKS DOUBLE POST :erk:

I re-string mine roughly every 2 weeks :lol:

It was posted in my shitty thread in On-Topic but it'd get more attention here. Cool vid, I thought it was a Jem, at first.
Yeah ok. Sorry, i rarely read COB on-topic nowadays anyway so i wouldn't know (exception: the tab thread and gear thread). Well i hope it gets attention...i think it is really cool!

Hi dudes. I'm new here.

I posted a little introduction in the "introduce yourself" thread but I'll re-do it here because it's here I'll spend the most of my time. This introduction is most guitar-related of course.

My name is Steve, I'm 16 and I'm from Belgium. My first language is French (I know there are some Dutch-speaking Belgian people here).

WARNING: It's going to be pretty long!

I learned music theory at 7 and one year later I started to learn the classical guitar. I played it for 4 years so I was at the music school during 5 years. I was 12 when I finished then. After that, I don't remember why but I bought my first electric guitar. It was a Squier Affinity Strat. I remember the day I went to the guitar center. I played some classical stuff like arpeggio's with my fingers and with distortion please! :lol: I still have it but I don't play it anymore and I think the strings are pretty much rusty now :lol: The frets are totally fucked up too. At this time my amp was a Laney Hardcore MAX 10w. No comments about beginners' gear :lol:

I bought a Jackson RR3 in the end of '06. It's the black one with Seymour Duncan SH2-N and TB-4 pickups. The black hardware was removed for gold hardware (I know you'll be pissed Matias (am I right? - The Phenom) but it's not a RR24 lol. You can find pictures here. Just before that I received a Marshall... MG15 :Smug: for free. And I'm still using it... I also have a Zoom G2.1u multi-effect processor unit which I can record through USB with. By the way I'm aware of the "cover thread" but I'll not tell you if I'll participate because I don't want you to expect some clips since I'm not even able to record with the unit, I don't really know how it works but I'll give it a try because I think it's a very interesting concept and I'm hoping to improve my skills with it, like Jose said. If you want me to go further about gear, I play Ernie Ball 10-52 strings (I'm always tuned in D) and Dunlop Jazz III picks.
I'm currently working during August and maybe I'll buy an amp later.

Since it now is more or less 8 years I play the guitar I should play very well but no. My musical theory knowledges are pretty basic but I'm learning much more now and classical guitar didn't teached me that much (I was a little kid but I know I still am :lol: ). It was a real challenge for me to play with a pick. I started maybe 3 years ago. I started to really play the guitar maybe 2 years ago now. That was when I discovered BODOM. It's one of the IN ARKADIA's guitarist who told me about them.

I never practised and I feel dumb but it's never too late. I'm actually pretty good for rythmic parts but when it comes to shred and sweep picking it's terrible but I've started practising since Monday! :lol: I hope you guys will push me even more in it. By the way, it's because of you. I read that thread for a while. I listened to the clips and watched your videos. I knowed you but you didn't! If you guys can play lead guitar with accuracy, why could'nt I?

Thanks for reading and I hope to have great times with you, by being active and not passive anymore now!

The metal hair is gone

IMG_2366.jpg

Hi dudes. I'm new here.

I posted a little introduction in the "introduce yourself" thread but I'll re-do it here because it's here I'll spend the most of my time. This introduction is most guitar-related of course.

My name is Steve, I'm 16 and I'm from Belgium. My first language is French (I know there are some Dutch-speaking Belgian people here).

I learned music theory at 7 and one year later I started to learn the classical guitar. I played it for 4 years so I was at the music school during 5 years. I was 12 when I finished then. After that, I don't remember why but I bought my first electric guitar. It was a Squier Affinity Strat. I remember the day I went to the guitar center. I played some classical stuff like arpeggio's with my fingers and with distortion please! :lol: I still have it but I don't play it anymore and I think the strings are pretty much rusty now :lol: The frets are totally fucked up too. At this time my amp was a Laney Hardcore MAX 10w. No comments about beginners' gear :lol:

I bought a Jackson RR3 in the end of '06. It's the black one with Seymour Duncan SH2-N and TB-4 pickups. The black hardware was removed for gold hardware (I know you'll be pissed Matias (am I right? - The Phenom) but it's not a RR24 lol. You can find pictures here. Just before that I received a Marshall... MG15 :Smug: for free. And I'm still using it... I also have a Zoom G2.1u multi-effect processor unit which I can record through USB with. By the way I'm aware of the "cover thread" but I'll not tell you if I'll participate because I don't want you to expect some clips since I'm not even able to record with the unit, I don't really know how it works but I'll give it a try because I think it's a very interesting concept and I'm hoping to improve my skills with it, like Jose said. If you want me to go further about gear, I play Ernie Ball 10-52 strings (I'm always tuned in D) and Dunlop Jazz III picks.

Since it now is more or less 8 years I play the guitar I should play very well but no. My musical theory knowledges are pretty basic but I'm learning much more now and classical guitar didn't teached me that much (I was a little kid but I know I still am :lol: ). It was a real challenge for me to play with a pick. I started maybe 3 years ago. I started to really play the guitar maybe 2 years ago now. That was when I discovered BODOM. It's one of the IN ARKADIA's guitarist who told me about them.

I never practised and I feel dumb but it's never too late. I'm actually pretty good for rythmic parts but when it comes to shred and sweep picking it's terrible but I've started practising since Monday! :lol: I hope you guys will push me even more in it. By the way, it's because of you. I read that thread for a while. I listened to the clips and watched your videos. I knowed you but you didn't! If you guys can play lead guitar with accuracy, why could'nt I?

Thanks for reading and I hope to have great times with you, by being active and not passive anymore now!

hey man! that was very cool to read. I'm glad you finally joined and started talking here. Honestly, this place will definitely push you more to play. Because if you participate in the forum jams and the Cover Thread which is in the On-Topic section, I think you'll definitely practice more. BUT you shouldn't rush anything. There are some players here who think they're really good, but they don't realize that they hurry their practicing too much so they don't really turn out as clean as they think they are. so just be careful of that It's not really a competition or anything. But very cool. Nice to see you here :)

I thought you would have cut your hair really short. It's good looking and it seems like you like it. :)

EDIT: @Mystique (don't remember your name) thank you. I really like the concept of the forum jams (I have the 2 last ones on my HDD) and I never found it anywhere else, even on guitar-related forums. About practising, well, I always look at everything I can. Not only the sound that comes out of the amp but the way I play the lick, the way I pick the strings, the way I mute the others etc. But it's only since Monday and I hope I'll keep on that way. I'd say I'm some kind of a "perfectionist" guy for anything I do, even homework! :lol:

@Matias (still not sure about your nam): thank you too!

Could anybody make a list of the guitar players with nickname and firstname for me please?

THat thread isn't shitty, it is the best thing that has been on OT for a few days now :lol:.

OMHGZ COB COEM SEE US, OMZFH ALEXI FACEBOOK IS FEK

:lol: I actually agree!! :kickass:

Hi dudes. I'm new here.

Welcome Steve, good to have you here!

The metal hair is gone

IMG_2366.jpg

Wow, you actually DO look like Jack Black here!! :kickass:

And the Marshall one is three tubes for a total of 6 total gain stages.

Here's some great info I found from Harmony Central with the Gp1000-

You remembered wrong.

There are two "official" versions, as stated, the Fender mod and the Marshall mod. The Fender mod GP1000's has "87xxxx" in the serial number. The Marshall mod has "88xxxx", which basically means what year they were built in.

However, the circuits vary alot from GP1000 to GP1000 even within the same year they're made. I've spoken with a guy who owns 5 of them and he told me that no circuit is the same and they all sound different.

The main differences between the '87 model and '88 model are:
1. No XLR direct outputs because he used it to free up a gain stage = more gain (Probably not that noticeable though)
2. Other capacitors for mid and bass. (There's probably more but this is what I got ATM and probably what changes the tone the most)

There is an '87 model with no XLR outputs which is called "transition model". Supposedly that one has the extra gain stage for more gain, but not the capacitors of the '88 model.

If I were you I would go for the '88 model as they say it sounds best. But probably there isn't much difference at all. GP1000 has a special sound. If you don't like a '87 model of it, you won't like the '88 either, so to say.

Hey folks,

Hope no one minds my resurrecting a month-old thread for my first post here, but I ran across this surfing the Internet.

Yeah, "the guy" that owns five of these GP-1000s would likely be me. I'd hate to think someone besides myself would also be that nuts...

Anyway, yes, there are differences, which can be detected in the most basic manner by checking the serial number. I'd spoken to Lee about some of these issues and he informed me that the change that was done to the '88 models was in response to distributor, retailer and customer requests that the GP-1000 reflect his Marshall mod circuit.

Even among the '88s, it's not exactly the Marshall mod circuit. For one thing, the '88s retain the tone stack after a gain stage, rather than incorporate a cathode-follower tone stack ala a Marshall 2203, 1959, 1987, etc.

I'd also noticed that the '88 uses different caps in the tone stack. The mid cap is .1µF and the bass cap a whopping .2µF. In the '87s, these two caps reflect the spec Fender circuit, .047 and .1µF respectively.

I know some have complained about the lack of bass, and perhaps this .2 cap was a means to remedy this? I'd also thought of replacing the bass pot with a more typical 1meg pot, but never got around to it. I did experiment with using a 22k pot for the mid, rather than the Fender spec 10k. This was fairly effective at beefing up the tone, but I ended up breaking the post accidentally and had to remove it.

One of these days, I'll go thru the Mouser catalog and see which pots would fit the GP-1000 exactly, but since I have so much on my plate at any given time, who knows when I'll actually get around to it... Probably never.

The "transition model" is a term I coined that I use to designate the '87s that had blanked-over DI outputs and additional circuitry assembled to one of the tube sockets. They don't seem to have the '88 tone caps and sound like something in between the earlier '87s and the '88s.

I also have a GP-1000 that was owned by Reb Beach, used on the Winger demos (I believe these have been recently released on a small indie label), but I'm told, not on the first Winger release. His former tech, Dave L., gave it to me. It had all sorts of grease pencil marks indicating Reb's settings, but I wiped all of that off with Windex. Maybe I shouldn't have?

The interesting thing about this GP-1000 is that it has no jack for footswitching from clean to distortion. No hole drilled, no label screened on the back, nothing. There's a station on the circuit board for the relay, but no relay. Lee told me he couldn't remember making such a preamp. He even asked me to send him a photo of it.

My most recent acquisition is GP-1000 SN 870001, which Lee has confirmed as the first GP-1000 shipped. This one actually sounds pretty damn good. Don't know what it is about it, but it's the best '87 I have.

It's interesting to see the renewed interest in these preamps. Ten years ago, it was almost like some used gear dealers couldn't give these away.

Certainly, Alexi Laiho has helped generate interest. Listening to CoB, I would have to say that his GP-1000 seems to be an '87.

Hope this helps!

Yeah thats the "transitional model" like mine Made in 87 but like the 88 circuitry. If you think about it, Lee Jackson prolly wasn't like "Happy New Year its january 1st 1988! I'm going to change my amp design today!" so basically when looking for the "marshall" GP100s just look to make sure the XLR output is blocked off on the back. From what I've heard the only reason they are called "Fender" and "Marshall" ones is because he based the controls and pots off of fender and Marshall designs. So the only difference would be really minor. I still haven't heard or seen a true 87 fender mod one. but based on how shitty the "marshall" circuit controls are I doubt they sound much different haha.