Guitar Player's Thread

Yeah. The problem I find is, if you don't know what it's gonna do to your tone before hand, it can be a waste of money. Unless you can try it out before buying it :p.

The thing is, I am satisfied with the tone I get from my amp, so if I needed a boost, I wanted it to be as transparent as possible. I don't need a boost though :p

- the MXRs seems kinda cool too.

Well i use a Boss SD-1 to tighten n brighten my tone. A VEEEEEEERY transparent boost and versatile/usable to anything would be the MXR M-108 10 Band EQ. Very transparent and it's true bypass. Doesn't suck yer tone away.

Well i use a Boss SD-1 to tighten n brighten my tone. A VEEEEEEERY transparent boost and versatile/usable to anything would be the MXR M-108 10 Band EQ. Very transparent and it's true bypass. Doesn't suck yer tone away.

Yeah, the Boss can tighten (and brighten). Still, I like my tone as it is now, and I think the less gear you use and the less tweakings you use, the better.

I definately think there's a place for OD pedals, but if you just need a boost, I think you would want it to be as transparent as possible.
And in that league, I think the Lee Jackson gain boost pedal beats everything else I've heard.
I admit the MXR seems kinda cool, but I've never heard it/tried it out in a proper way, so can't really judge.

I mean, I have all my settings half way up on my Lee Jackson amp. I don't need to tweak anything to get a killer tone, and tweaking too much might result in phases and stuff.

on my Laney I would have to have treble all the way down, bass up and so on. The more I had to do so extreme tweakings, the more uncontrollable my tone got.

Yeah, the Boss can tighten (and brighten). Still, I like my tone as it is now, and I think the less gear you use and the less tweakings you use, the better.

I definately think there's a place for OD pedals, but if you just need a boost, I think you would want it to be as transparent as possible.
And in that league, I think the Lee Jackson gain boost pedal beats everything else I've heard.
I admit the MXR seems kinda cool, but I've never heard it/tried it out in a proper way, so can't really judge.

I mean, I have all my settings half way up on my Lee Jackson amp. I don't need to tweak anything to get a killer tone, and tweaking too much might result in phases and stuff.

on my Laney I would have to have treble all the way down, bass up and so on. The more I had to do so extreme tweakings, the more uncontrollable my tone got.

Yeah true to that. Well the Boss SD-1 DOES color the tone. It's absolutely not transparent! So for transparency i would definetly reccomend the MXR. I have one and it is great. Too bad i have lack of need for it nowadays since the Randall RH50T+Boss SD-1 gets me to my sweet spot. If you somehow get interested in the MXR then DONT get the KK one. It's the same thing but with 2 outputs. Well with the MXR you can just tweak a little and if you want to boost some treble to your solos you just tweak up the treble a bit and when your solo is there you hit the button and when its over just put it off. It's completely transparent in your line. True bypass as i said.

Yeah true to that. Well the Boss SD-1 DOES color the tone. It's absolutely not transparent! So for transparency i would definetly reccomend the MXR. I have one and it is great. Too bad i have lack of need for it nowadays since the Randall RH50T+Boss SD-1 gets me to my sweet spot. If you somehow get interested in the MXR then DONT get the KK one. It's the same thing but with 2 outputs. Well with the MXR you can just tweak a little and if you want to boost some treble to your solos you just tweak up the treble a bit and when your solo is there you hit the button and when its over just put it off. It's completely transparent in your line. True bypass as i said.

Lee Jackson is too, just alot more pricey :p.

the thing is, I don't need a boost though. My amp has plenty distortion for me! I'm not a distortion whore, I wan't it to be as little as possible, while still being able to sing and have punch and clarity at the high notes as well as the low.
All this discussion came from someone else doing so :p.

And boosting for solos is not of my interest, seeing as most of the music I play has very cutting through guitars all the time.

My new cab, borrowed though.
Sounds awesome.
Afb003.jpg

Man i want an XXX so bad! Them and the JSX's are my favorite of the peavey amps!

Those Marshall cabs rule too. Is that from a Vintage Modern?
I switched the shitty speaker on my peavey combo with one of the Celestion GT-12s from my marshall cab and it rocks now! And i cant even really tell that one of my speakers in my marshall cab is a bum peavey anyways haha.

Oh and sorry about the drunk trolling lastnight, and Mystique you would be done by 12:45 too if you started around 7 haaha (but really I had to be a gentleman and walk my friend back to her dorm, If not for that i probably would still be at my friend's house right now on the couch passed out haha)

^Dude, i'd seriously recommend you to go for another box. My buddy owns that one and if you really want to do more or less professional gigs you can forget about it. It's ok for home use but if you need live stuff go for sth else.

A guy has posted alot of videos from MAB's instructional's. Watch these soon, as they will probably be gone soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man i want an XXX so bad! Them and the JSX's are my favorite of the peavey amps!

Those Marshall cabs rule too. Is that from a Vintage Modern?
I switched the shitty speaker on my peavey combo with one of the Celestion GT-12s from my marshall cab and it rocks now! And i cant even really tell that one of my speakers in my marshall cab is a bum peavey anyways haha.

I know very little about the cab, the gold plate on the lower left says "anniversary series".

I also have the XXX head, tis awesome :headbang: I have the matching cab

I hate the sound of the cab, I tried the head with a marshall, a mesa and the xxx cab, and the xxx was really dissapointing to me.

I'm currently working for some money. I'd like to buy a Laney VH100R + Harley Benton 212 Celstion V30. Did anyone ever try it (I'm talking about the Laney)?

I never played a VH100R but I know it would be the best choice for playing metal if you really want a Laney. Tony Iommi and thedudewithhislongdreads from HIM play those IIRC.

Lee Jackson is too, just alot more pricey :p.

the thing is, I don't need a boost though. My amp has plenty distortion for me! I'm not a distortion whore, I wan't it to be as little as possible, while still being able to sing and have punch and clarity at the high notes as well as the low.
All this discussion came from someone else doing so :p.

And boosting for solos is not of my interest, seeing as most of the music I play has very cutting through guitars all the time.

Hey guys for those of you who wants very clean boost , try some boutique pedal , I have a Chilli Picosso (clean boost) and I put this baby in the loop and I get between 16 and 20 db of uncolored boost!!!
Very handy when you are playing with a sound man who doesn't know your music or could not care less about it!!
Sixxpm

I'm currently working for some money. I'd like to buy a Laney VH100R + Harley Benton 212 Celstion V30. Did anyone ever try it (I'm talking about the Laney)?

I find that Laneys are extremely hard to control (tone wise).

I also find the GH100L to sound tons better than the VH100R for more heavy distortion (even though it should be almost the same :/).

So if I were you, I'd try them both out to see how they sound first. I've heard wonderfull tones from both - and same goes for extremely horrible tones, but the experience I had with my Laney wasn't all that good.

The GH100L to me sounds more organic though. When EQed right. Actually one of my all time favorite tones comes from a GH100L, but so does some of my all time least favorite tones.

Right now good amps for me is:

the good old marshall ones (Super Lead/Plexi)
Lee Jackson amps

Wich are out of production.

In production:

Marshall Vintage Modern
some Suhr amp wich to me sounds almost exactly like the old Marshalls
ENGL amps
Mesa amps

and the GH100L - though only at times. Like said, it's extremely hard (for me atleast) to control tone wise.
I've also heard some Carvin amp sound pretty good, but also like the Laney, pretty horrible.

If I were you I'd try and get an old Lee Jackson head (wich can be found fairly cheap) - but that's only because I swear by Lee Jackson :p

Thanks for your advice dudes.

A guy has posted alot of videos from MAB's instructional's. Watch these soon, as they will probably be gone soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj_n3bbgGBo

Did you ever try "Keepvid"? I use it when I find rare videos on youtube. If there is any high quality version of the video you want to keep, you can download it directly in .mp4. If not, download it in youtube low quality (.flv). ;)

For your time of playing that was very good but it does contain alot of mistakes like timing mistakes and unclean/missed notes. Anyway...keep at it...i wasn't nearly as good when i had played that amount of time.

EDIT: Your Norther cover is pretty good also. You should post that one. Very well worked on picking technique for have been playing like 1,2 years or what you said. But the solo is really off...

Any chance you got the yngwie malmsteen parody vids captured?:p

Sorry I don't :(

By the way, if it is authorized to share videos found on eMule or any torrent, let me know. I have some Paul Gilbert/Zakk Wylde/Alexi guitar lessons and some COB/Sinergy live videos but nothing that "rare" on my HDD.

This is what I have so far.

GUITAR LESSONS

Paul Gilbert
  • Intense Rock I (00:56:51)
  • Intense Rock II (00:59:56)
  • Blues licks (00:16:26)
  • Terrifying Guitar Trip (01:16:47)
  • Pentatonic Licks (00:03:26)
  • Young Guitar March '06 with Marty Friedman
  • Get Out Of My Yard - CD1 (01:06:41)
  • Get Out Of My Yard - CD2 (01:07:36)
  • Tapping Demonstration (00:01:12)
  • Young Guitar February '08 (00:41:32)

Zakk Wylde
  • Pentatonic Hardcore (00:56:12)

Alexi Laiho
  • Young Guitar Reap 'n Roll (00:28:29)
  • Guitar World Lesson (00:01:28)
  • Passage to the Reaper (00:15:15)

LIVE / VIDEO CLIPS

Children Of Bodom
  • Live in Japan '03 (00:15:15)
  • Live at Mystic Festival '01 (00:16:34)
  • Live at Nosturi 29th October '08 (01:06:05)
  • Live in Seoul (00:50:00)
  • Tuska '03 (00:34:19)

Sinergy
  • Midnight Madness - video clip
  • Suicide by my Side - video clip
  • The Warrior Princess - video clip
  • Passage to the Fourth World - live
  • The Sin Trade - live
  • Violated - live

OTHER

• Alexi Laiho - Finnish Documentary (00:14:35)
  • Headbangersball podcast with Alexi & Janne (3 short parts)

If anyone wants something, feel free to ask.