Guitar Player's Thread

I think im going to sell my Peavey Studiopro 1x12 amp. Then i will buy a Randall V2XM instead for it to use at home...

There's something not right about having to fear to blow up your house when playing with your uber good soounding tube stack :lol:

(For those who use recording units such as Line6 POD, Toneport, Korg PX4...)

I was wondering what are your "basic" setup when you start making a preset. It's been more than one year I use that Zoom G2.1u multi-effect processor unit with USB connection and I can't get a tone I like. Thank you for your advice.

I was wondering what are your "basic" setup when you start making a preset. It's been more than one year I use that Zoom G2.1u multi-effect processor unit with USB connection and I can't get a tone I like. Thank you for your advice.

Well when recording i usually double track the rhytm and lead....sometimes with 2 different tones aswell. For the Rhytm tone i use low treble and mids,bass like at 5-6 and drive at 5. Then i usually record the same track again but with higher treble and mids. It fills up the sound quite nicely. What you are doing wrong is probably that you are using the same settings you would use in a live situation or playing in your room. Recording is a whole another story.

I always pick the jcm800 or Dual Rectifier in Gearbox, and the regular setting I use on my real amp. For just melodies and rythems I pick the distortion on the amp only, a noisegate and sometimes the eq. For solos I crank the setting up with some effects but not all.

I haven't really experimented with it properly.

I'll try but the interlude part is really hard to learn by ear.(the part at 2:49)

True, but if you can't just do the lead, :lol:

I think im going to sell my Peavey Studiopro 1x12 amp. Then i will buy a Randall V2XM instead for it to use at home...

There's something not right about having to fear to blow up your house when playing with your uber good soounding tube stack :lol:

:kickass:

Well when recording i usually double track the rhytm and lead....sometimes with 2 different tones aswell. For the Rhytm tone i use low treble and mids,bass like at 5-6 and drive at 5. Then i usually record the same track again but with higher treble and mids. It fills up the sound quite nicely. What you are doing wrong is probably that you are using the same settings you would use in a live situation or playing in your room. Recording is a whole another story.

I always pick the jcm800 or Dual Rectifier in Gearbox, and the regular setting I use on my real amp. For just melodies and rythems I pick the distortion on the amp only, a noisegate and sometimes the eq. For solos I crank the setting up with some effects but not all.

I haven't really experimented with it properly.

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Try less gain!
it always helps to get a good and clear tone.

Try less gain and less bass, you should be getting enough bass from the actual bass guitar.

Try less gain!
it always helps to get a good and clear tone.

Try less gain and less bass, you should be getting enough bass from the actual bass guitar.

Thank you both but I already tried. The preamps simulations have too much gain or not enough. And the gain scale is from 0 to 100 though... The Zoom has a lot of high, compressed gain preamp simulations or light overdrives. And for the bass, usually they are at something like 4. Full mid, less treble. But I should experiment this unit much more.

• Fender Twin Reverb '65 (clean)
  • Vox AC-30 (clean)
  • Roland JC (clean)
  • Marshall crunch
  • Fender Tweed Deluxe '53 (crunch)
  • Mesa Boogie MK III
  • Marshall JCM2000
  • Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (chanel 2 - vintage mode)
  • Peavey 5150
  • Boss OD-1
  • Marshall Guv'nor
  • Hot Box tube amp
  • British fuzz
  • Boss metalzone
  • Extreme distortion
  • Digital fuzz

3 bands Eq: 160Hz (-12 to +12), 800Hz (-12 to +12), 3.2kHz (-12 to +12) + Mic position (for recording) centre, between centre and edge, edge.

or 6 bands Eq: same 3 bands + 400Hz low mid (-12 to +12) 6.4kHz presence (-12 to +12) and 12kHz harmonics (-12 to +12)

compressor, effects, frequency booster etc.

Yeah, thank you but since my Zoom g2.1u is a recording unit itself (soundcard included) I'd prefer to use it because I paid for it.

I'm looking for exercises to improve my technique. Anything: legato, sweeping, bends, whatever. I'd like to be able to play fast and clean.

Here is a lick I'm currently practicing:

lickxx0.png

I'd really like to be able to play "fast". I've never practiced before, that's why. I know there is no tips. Practicing is the only way.

Record a lick then after practice it for a while, record another one. You should improve your speed and that's a good motivation to practice more. Other than practice with a metronome, there's nothing else would help you play faster over night.
Also, look for Paul Gilbert instructional DVDs tab like "Intense Rock", he give you a shit load of great lick to play

Here's a .rar file of a bunch of stuff that I have lying around:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2b7iox

I was gonna delete it the other day but I thought it might be useful for someone...

Thank you very much!

There are a lots of exercises, I don't even know where to begin! :loco: Those string-skipping exercises look crazy! And thoses sweep picking exercises sound awesome. I think I already heard some of them (e.g. bar 70: Jason Becker?). I think it will take several months. Should I practice with or without gain? I think I should practice with gain because it's easier to play clean without gain but maybe I'm wrong.

upload the program.

I want it to.
Please OvSeth!

Internet. Use it. EDIT: I didn't notice Nick stating he would upload it if anyone wanted it. Ma bad!

I have the program installed but haven't got around to using it 'cause I'm still in the processes of installing Cubase.

Check out the tone this guy is able to get out of Revalver and a few plugins...

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/33983-handfulofnothing-ignitioncover2.mp3

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/94394-Handfulofnothing-Detonejshon.mp3