Guitar Player's Thread

Nice one, Mike! I remember you telling me about how much you wanted a Stars. Post some more pics of it, I thought about getting the gold pinstripe model afterwards too.

I am in love with it. It plays great, the trem stays perfectly in tune even when you go crazy with dive bombs and squeals, the EMG 81 although it might not be the best pickup in the world and seems to have a lot of haters IMO is a great pickup and I can get some really heavy Exodus/Slayer/Pantera tones from it while I can still get clear sounding tones in Bodom's line. Not the best for acoustic playing though, but easy to understand from a guitar with only one active humbucker on the bridge position and made to be a metal guitar. If you're really picky about looks then the MOTO inlays may may bother you in the pictures (as IRL they look kickass) and not having black binding, but looks don't affect playability or sound, so there you go. I don't regret getting it a single bit.

Thanks Jose. :)

^You really think that???

Indeed I do. I think it sounds like a mess. Some other bands might have even worse tone, doesn't make it better.

I think that kinda scoopy EMG tone is everything a guitar tone shouldn't be. I can see it's got some heavyness, and for some bands might fit (the EMG'y tone) but for lead playing, and for complex playing like in CoB I really hate it.

Actually, that tone is why I don't listen to Blooddrunk much. There's some brilliant moments on there, but the tone sounds like the tone of a crappy demo recorded in a basement, not a pro studio recording.

I mean, is it a overly distorted bass, noise or is it guitar? (I might be overexagerating, but still)

Please keep in mind that this is all my opinion. You might think something else, and I'll totally respect that.

Guess the Blooddrunk tone is ok, but it would sound better with highquality passive pickups and a bit less gain. Not that I believe Alexi would use passives, but anyway...

just starting out, you probably won't be able to do a song, unless you're either an extremely fast learner or you're prepared to be working on the song for several years until you get good enough to play it. :D
but if you really want to learn COB riffs, try just a few simple individual riffs... just pick a few that you think sound cool, and go from there.

Tell that to Alexi, as that was the first setup of his Pink Sawtooth until he went back to EMG: Blackout+MM04.

naw, this is wrong. Alexi had the EMG + MM04 in there originally, and he later had the EMG swapped out, but there was really no need to remove the gainbooster as well, because all he has to do is just switch it off. this new sawtooth has the hole drilled in just in case he decides he wants the MM-04 again, but he didn't use a gainbooster with it (as it wasn't even installed), nor did he with his pink sawtooth

EDIT: he apparently switched to the HZ-H2, although does anyone know when/why? :p