Guitar Player's Thread

so how exactly do we record ourselves playing over the bt if we don't have a mic? cuz i can record using cool edit pro..but is there a way to put the bt on that program and then i myself can record over it on cool edit pro? (sorry, i just got that program and it's a bit intimidating atm)

how is everyone submitting their jams? you guys are all using mics, huh?

so how exactly do we record ourselves playing over the bt if we don't have a mic? cuz i can record using cool edit pro..but is there a way to put the bt on that program and then i myself can record over it on cool edit pro? (sorry, i just got that program and it's a bit intimidating atm)

how is everyone submitting their jams? you guys are all usuing mics, huh?

You can import audio files into cool edit pro, and then create another channel and record yourself on that channel. Someone who has used it more than me can probably exaplin everything in detail, i just started using it.

I think alot of people use line in aswell.

You can import audio files into cool edit pro, and then create another channel and record yourself on that channel. Someone who has used it more than me can probably exaplin everything in detail, i just started using it.

I think alot of people use line in aswell.

Kaboom, spot on.

- Open Cool Edit
- Click the "insert" drop down menu thing at the top
- choose "Wave From File..."
- Find the backing track on ur pc and insert it

It should then appear as a big horizontal box in the first track.

Then you can hit play and it'll play back.

On track 2, click the red R and it'll become highlighted which means it's in record mode. You can then click the record button in the bottom left of the screen and it'll start playing/recording.

To record your sound, plug your guitar into your amp and then into your computer like I've explained to loads of people loads of times before.

It'll only record your guitar part as long as it's set to record "mic" or "line in" in Control Panel on your computer.

An important thing about this kinda this is saving. When you save the wave file that you've recorded, you need to only export the lead guitar part and do not have the backing track in there with it otherwise it'll bugger up sound levels in the final mix. Save to MP3 or WAVE format and then just upload it here so I can collect them all. If you don't want people hearing your unaccompanied solo, just pm me the link or something.

(I think Rock Hydra has said before that saving in wave would be better because no quality is lost in the process).

ok i managed to get the blues in G inserted into track 2. but now i wanna try to record in track 1 and it wont let me switch to track one when i'm in edit view....is anyone on msn right now that knows how to do this stuff? and wouldn't mind helpin me :D

Kaboom, spot on.

- Open Cool Edit
- Click the "insert" drop down menu thing at the top
- choose "Wave From File..."
- Find the backing track on ur pc and insert it

It should then appear as a big horizontal box in the first track.

Then you can hit play and it'll play back.

On track 2, click the red R and it'll become highlighted which means it's in record mode. You can then click the record button in the bottom left of the screen and it'll start playing/recording.

To record your sound, plug your guitar into your amp and then into your computer like I've explained to loads of people loads of times before.

It'll only record your guitar part as long as it's set to record "mic" or "line in" in Control Panel on your computer.

oh thanks for that. i'll try that right now.

Oh shit, I was JUST writing up a list now. It's a good job I saw this post before I did it otherwise I would have wasted time and looked like a fanny in the process. :lol:

But I'll go through the last 2 pages quick and write down the people that said they'd do it.

1. Warheart
2. Rock Hydra
3. Bucketbanger9000 (if he can get an adaptor)
4. Conti
5. Epi
6. AlexiWildchild (if he can get the adaptor too)
7. umosay
8. Ruins
9. inhe
10. Corny
11. MatthewK
12. Mystique1721 (if she's feeling brave :p)
13. _DJ_british_motard_
14. enjoi17

And the people that post here that aren't for definite are:

Vikk Cavanagh
Pheonix
enjoi17
Night Reaper (posts here but hasn't said anything about the jam)

nah, i rather not fuck up your song :p good luck thou, i can't wait to hear it :kickass:

Fair enough.

Conti said:
I think one min would be sexier

How about this...

Anyone can choose what they wanna do. So I'll choose a 30 sec space and I'll choose to solo over, say, section 3.

Then you can say okay, I'm going to record a 1 min solo over section 2...and then I'll keep a note of what everyone has chosen and then see if I can edit it all together so everyone can be happy?

That sounds awesome, doesn't it? :D

Okay, I'll make this official to stop confusion. I'm going to copy and paste the rules that someone else wrote out for a jam just like this so I don't miss anything out (Thanks Pao)

COBOT FORUM JAM

"1 - Download this track ->
BLUES IN Gmin BACKING TRACK

2 - Record over the backing track from either section 1 or/and section 2.

Section 1 = 00:33-01:00 (with rhythm guitar)
Section 2 = 01:00-01:27 (just bass and drums)

Let me know which section(s) you've recorded over so I know which ones to put your solo over in the final mix. You can choose just 1, just 2 or record a double length over both.

3 - IMPORTANT!! - Include a 1-2-3-4 metronome count (or dead string pluck) so that I can PROPERLY put everything on time! If your solo starts off early, just include a 1-2-3-AND count ("AND" meaning your solo starts) PLEASE EVERYONE FOLLOW THIS!!

4 - Save the SOLO TRACK ONLY in 128kbps MP3 FORMAT or WAVE FORMAT.

5 - Upload the solo track here: www.sendspace.com

6 - Paste the URL for the file here or PM me the link if you don't want people hearing it.

THERE IS NO ORDER IN SOLOS. If you post your solo here first, then you will be first. If you post your solo here second, then you will be second. BTW, This isn't a competition, so don't base your solo on the solo of the last one who posted. This will be about YOUR solo, not about trying to level up with the solo before you"

That's it. Let's go?