Guitar Player's Thread

THOSE PLAYING OFR EQUIPPED GUITARS
Learn how to make your guitar play better

Let's make this short and sweet

OFR = 10" radius.

Most OFR gutiars are much flatter then this, up to an 18" radius. Many have Jacksons here with a compound radius 14"-16". (or something)

How to fix?

Shims.

Some come with .2mm shims under D/G or A/D/G/B strings. (my OFR had the latter, RR24 came with none)

Here's the solution to fix it

This is an easy guide to shimming your Original Floyd Rose saddles to get a close match to your fretboard radius. This way you can dial it in very fast to get very close to a perfect match for best action.

Note: Unless your guitar has a 10" non-compound fretboard radius, you will need to shim your floyd saddles if you want good action. This is because the ORIGINAL Floyd bridge radius = 10".

You can buy .2mm shims that fit Floyd saddles on the internet in packs of 6 or 12. Just do a google search. To find out how many .2 mm shims to add to each string saddle, see below (note that the D and G strings get no shim):

Fingerboard Radius (at bridge) / E strings # shims / A and B strings # shims
10" / 0 / 0
12" / 1 / 0
14" / 2 / 1
16" / 2 / 1
18" / 3 / 1

You can also make your own shims out of coke soda cans (cut out of the coke can skin, which is about .1mm thick) or you can use copper shielding tape (that you shield your guitar with.) If you do either of these, you should measure the thickness with a micrometer. You can also cut up feeler gages to get your appropriate thickness. Here is a table of thickness to add to each string:

Fingerboard Radius (at bridge) / E strings / A and B strings
10" / none / none
12" / .2 mm / .1 mm
14" / .4 mm / .2 mm
16" / .5 mm / .2 mm
18" / .6 mm / .2 mm

For Warmoth compound necks, use the 18" row for radius at bridge to find out what to add. For some other compound neck, you'll need to estimate or calculate your fretboard radius at the bridge ( the radius flattens as you get closer to the bridge for a compound neck.)

http://www.rackcreations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130

:kickass:

Has anyone ever played an Ibanez RG2550Z? I was thinking of getting one, lately, but I'm not sure. I know it has an Edge Zero, which are (I think) as good as original floyds.

I'm thinking of getting that guitar too.I haven't tried it yet but from what i've heard they are pretty good.

And Necromancer, I agree, the J-50BC sounded better than the Blackout, especially during the middle where you played the COB riff with the Blackout and then the J50BC next to each other, I could hear the difference.

It might not be as thick or full but it has a certain quality to it I over looked.

Could you tell me if mine is a USA or not?

6f28ef0ac06.JPG

I got this message on my myspace.

Hey Guys,
I found your page here on MySpace and I really liked the song “ Messianic Defecation ”. If you are interested, I’d like to extend an invitation to join us for our next volume of our “Downtown Metal” compilation. Below I have included part of the invitation that explains everything about the CD and our cause. Because of the popularity and success of the series we have made a new page. Make sure to also add the Quickstar Productions main page in our top friends. I’m looking forward to working with you and hope to hear back soon!
Rock on,
Bryan

There were some more text about the project, and i just skimmed through it, so i have no idea about the seriousness of the project. Anyone else got this aswell?

Personally though, i think Edge of Despair is the most solid track.

As my 2 or 3 loyal fans have noticed, i haven't been working on any new stuff for some time now, so i hope it has nothing to do with re-recording :p

Yeah you better start recording something new soon! What do you use to record?

How's your Marshall Vintage Modern amp sounding?

I use (or should i say used) a podxt. I bought a new computer some months ago, and i haven't bothered to install any recording stuff, so i'm just really lazy n shit.

The amp is awesome, i recorded some vids with my phone, but they don't really justifie the sound.

I got this message on my myspace.

There were some more text about the project, and i just skimmed through it, so i have no idea about the seriousness of the project. Anyone else got this aswell?

Personally though, i think Edge of Despair is the most solid track.

As my 2 or 3 loyal fans have noticed, i haven't been working on any new stuff for some time now, so i hope it has nothing to do with re-recording :p

You think it's legit? Wonder why he said 'Hey Guy's' when it's clearly just one :p and yeah, agree with EOD as the best.

Yeah, that's another thing is was contemplating :p I'll just give it some time and see what happens.

I use (or should i say used) a podxt. I bought a new computer some months ago, and i haven't bothered to install any recording stuff, so i'm just really lazy n shit.

The amp is awesome, i recorded some vids with my phone, but they don't really justifie the sound.

Oh yeah i keep forgetting that.

All tracks are IMO nice. I've heard that Marshall is great!

that was my first thought also.

duuude. please don't have those bangs in your face! that's like the trendiest and ugliest thing going on now days (with both guys and girls). and you're better than that :eek:

altho I agree with inhe, short hair suits you a lot better :)

lol they kind of have to, my hair is ridiculously straight and does that naturally

Yeah scam, I get shit from B.S. production companies all the time on myspace like that.

pretty sure i failed my last microecoNOMNOMNOMics test today.

oh well, nap time

peace

Hey guise, I haven't had the chance to spend my time on COBOT so much, because, I got this job.

At a music store, and I'll tell you it's the best job I can imagine!:D I get to finger guitars everyday, tune 'em and such. Unpack shit and put insane price tags on stuff.
They have quite a selection in Ibanez, and i've literally played all of the ones in the store:lol: Some of them are very good, love the tone, but I dislike the edge tremolo arm placement. Maybe cus i'm so used to original floyd designs.

AND it gives me a shitload of confidence when these people come in and try to shred/play metallica, it's so lol I should videotape it:lol:

Only drawback is the pay, I get like $40 a day. Because it's not a full-blooded job, I work there mainly to get work experience. The boss is a cheap bastard tho:lol: They don't pay me (some other company do) and they get an income of about $220 a month (from that same company). That means they get free work + money. So when the boss heard he had to insure me (about $20 a month) he was sceptical:erk:

I'm also still waiting for my package from Thomann:D Gonna be a recordingfest with the UX1 when it comes!:D

Doesnt "Models 4 & 6" imply charvels? and if im not horribly correct, both Charvel model 4, and Charvel model 6 were made in japan, wouldn't that make those japanese?